Do you believe in evil?

Do you think that some things/people are inherently evil, that all of us may have the seed of evil within us?

Absolutely. Evil is merely behavior which demonstrates the absence for the potential for good and by virtue of itself, predictably results in chaos, calamity and catastrophe.

Such is the foundational trait of the Ideological Left and it's religious affiliate known as Islam. This the result of the ideas set forth by both, being rooted entirely in Relativism; which is to say the axiomatic rejection of objectivity.

In the absence of objectivity, there is no potential for truth. Without truth, there is no potential for trust. No Truth or trust, there is no means to recognize a soundly reasoned, sustainable morality and without that, there is no means by which to serve justice.

What's your source for "The foundational trait of the ideological left"

Do you think that some things/people are inherently evil, that all of us may have the seed of evil within us?

Absolutely. Evil is merely behavior which demonstrates the absence for the potential for good and by virtue of itself, predictably results in chaos, calamity and catastrophe.

Such is the foundational trait of the Ideological Left and it's religious affiliate known as Islam. This the result of the ideas set forth by both, being rooted entirely in Relativism; which is to say the axiomatic rejection of objectivity.

In the absence of objectivity, there is no potential for truth. Without truth, there is no potential for trust. No Truth or trust, there is no means to recognize a soundly reasoned, sustainable morality and without that, there is no means by which to serve justice.

What's your source for "The foundational trait of the ideological left"

The History of the ideological left.

Can say anything they like about any thing. Describing something doesn't make it objectively real. Think of the anti-Japanese propaganda of WWII. Just as vile things said about them then, but were they 'evil?' Or simply the enemy?

Denying something doesn't make it unreal either. Justify your position that evil does not exist by explaining away the millions of examples of evil through human history.

In other words, you made a claim, either defend it or admit you can't.

US servicemen and women who fight our wars for us kill the enemy. Often times, it's unavoidable while attacking the enemy innocent bystanders get killed too. During the Iraq war(s) hundreds of thousands (conservative estimates) of Iraqi civilians were killed. So is killing hundreds of thousands of non-combatants good or evil?

Don't tempt fate.

The premise is that the US collaterally murdered hundreds of thousands of innocents in Iraq.

That premise is not only false, it is absurd; an deceit, fraudulently advanced as a means to influence the ignorant.

But with that correction established, the answer is "evil". With that evil being perpetrated by Islam and it's adherence we refer to as 'terrorists', the tactics of which being the fundamental tenets of Islam.

I think evil is nothing more than a privation/absence of good. And so, any imperfections or deviations from what is good is an evil of some sort. I don't believe in pure evil, since that would be nothingness. It is the nature of the Good to exist, or possess being. Therefore, the fact that something exists is good in and of itself, however how it functions may deviate from what is good (which I believe is the will of God-however that is understood to be) and thus be evil in one sense. So, the short answer is no, I don't believe some people are inherently evil, only possessing certain degrees of evil for one reason or another.

I think evil is nothing more than a privation/absence of good. And so, any imperfections or deviations from what is good is an evil of some sort. I don't believe in pure evil, since that would be nothingness. It is the nature of the Good to exist, or possess being. Therefore, the fact that something exists is good in and of itself, however how it functions may deviate from what is good (which I believe is the will of God-however that is understood to be) and thus be evil in one sense. So, the short answer is no, I don't believe some people are inherently evil, only possessing certain degrees of evil for one reason or another.

I think evil is a label that people apply to actions that they don't understand. I am tempted to use it OFTEN.

No, I think people become bad due to circumstance or they are mentally ill to begin with, or they are brainwashed by their religion into believing some really stupid shit. As for just being naturally evil, I don't buy that.

Does evil exist in the religious sense? I don't think so. Though in terms of morality and ethics in general, for sure 'evil' exists. But you have to then determine what 'evil' is, there is such a variety of opinions over what is 'evil', some are more clear cut like over murder, but in the collectivism vs individualism debate it is very difficult to decide what is 'evil' when both make convincing arguments.

In terms of how I think about it, to use religious terminology to make it understood more clearly to those that do have faith, I think we have a 'inner demon' and an 'inner angel'. We lock our 'inner demon' away, and usually throw away the key - but there are times it comes out and causes harm to others. Our 'inner angel' is with us always, but when we ignore it and thus ignore our conscience terrible things can happen and our 'inner demon' is released. In some people the 'inner demon' or 'inner angel' is dominant, but in the majority of people both are in slightly in balance or establish a neutral balance of sorts.

Can say anything they like about any thing. Describing something doesn't make it objectively real. Think of the anti-Japanese propaganda of WWII. Just as vile things said about them then, but were they 'evil?' Or simply the enemy?

Denying something doesn't make it unreal either. Justify your position that evil does not exist by explaining away the millions of examples of evil through human history.

In other words, you made a claim, either defend it or admit you can't.

US servicemen and women who fight our wars for us kill the enemy. Often times, it's unavoidable while attacking the enemy innocent bystanders get killed too. During the Iraq war(s) hundreds of thousands (conservative estimates) of Iraqi civilians were killed. So is killing hundreds of thousands of non-combatants good or evil?

Don't tempt fate.

The premise is that the US collaterally murdered hundreds of thousands of innocents in Iraq.

That premise is not only false, it is absurd; an deceit, fraudulently advanced as a means to influence the ignorant.

But with that correction established, the answer is "evil". With that evil being perpetrated by Islam and it's adherence we refer to as 'terrorists', the tactics of which being the fundamental tenets of Islam.

Yup a lot of those counted as killed by us were actually killed by their own, with car bombs, suicide bombers, IEDs, etc.

Yup a lot of those counted as killed by us were actually killed by their own, with car bombs, suicide bombers, IEDs, etc.

Did you not understand "don't tempt fate?" Sigh...

Google

us sanctions killed 300,000 in iraq

300k is the low-balled estimate. This isn't about combat operations, this is sanctions. So not IED, bomb makers blowing themselves up etc.

Did you not understand "don't tempt fate?" Sigh...

Google

us sanctions killed 300,000 in iraq

300k is the low-balled estimate. This isn't about combat operations, this is sanctions. So not IED, bomb makers blowing themselves up etc.

Post a link. You make a claim. The burden of proof lies on you. I'm not going to prove your statements for you. I can't wait to see it either.

Post a link. You make a claim. The burden of proof lies on you. I'm not going to prove your statements for you. I can't wait to see it either.

Google it and pick one you'll believe. Either you're in denial because you know I'm right, or you're just being a dick to get attention from other dicks.

Google it and pick one you'll believe. Either you're in denial because you know I'm right, or you're just being a dick to get attention from other dicks.

If you're right, then you can post your own link. Otherwise, you're lying.

"According to the most careful authority, Richard Garfield, 'a conservative estimate of "excess deaths" among under five-year-olds since 1991 would be 300,000', while UNICEF--reporting in 1997 that '4,500 children under the age of five are dying each month from hunger and disease'- reckons the number of small children killed by the blockade at 500,000."
Iraq Kuwait

"In May 1996 Madeleine Albright, who was then the U.S. ambassador to the UN, was asked by 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl, in reference to years of U.S.-led economic sanctions against Iraq,

We have heard that half a million children have died. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

To which Ambassador Albright responded,

I think that is a very hard choice, but the price, we think, the price is worth it. "
Iraqi Sanctions Were They Worth It

"The New York Times published a story in late November 2011 about widows' hardship in Iraq, a rare instance of of an account of how the war has affected ordinary people in Iraq. The reporter states that 86,000 war widows are getting assistance from the Iraqi government, and that this "corresponds with conservative estimates of 103,000 to 113,000 Iraqi deaths in the war."
For example, if half the widows are from the current war, and one-third of those who have died as a result of the war are not married--both conservative assumptions--then more than 555,000 have been killed as a result of the U.S. invasion and subsequent violence. That figure would not include the number of women and children who have died as a result of the war's privations or from direct violence."
The Human Cost of the War in Iraq

"According to the most careful authority, Richard Garfield, 'a conservative estimate of "excess deaths" among under five-year-olds since 1991 would be 300,000', while UNICEF--reporting in 1997 that '4,500 children under the age of five are dying each month from hunger and disease'- reckons the number of small children killed by the blockade at 500,000."
Iraq Kuwait

"In May 1996 Madeleine Albright, who was then the U.S. ambassador to the UN, was asked by 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl, in reference to years of U.S.-led economic sanctions against Iraq,

We have heard that half a million children have died. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

To which Ambassador Albright responded,

I think that is a very hard choice, but the price, we think, the price is worth it. "
Iraqi Sanctions Were They Worth It

"The New York Times published a story in late November 2011 about widows' hardship in Iraq, a rare instance of of an account of how the war has affected ordinary people in Iraq. The reporter states that 86,000 war widows are getting assistance from the Iraqi government, and that this "corresponds with conservative estimates of 103,000 to 113,000 Iraqi deaths in the war."
For example, if half the widows are from the current war, and one-third of those who have died as a result of the war are not married--both conservative assumptions--then more than 555,000 have been killed as a result of the U.S. invasion and subsequent violence. That figure would not include the number of women and children who have died as a result of the war's privations or from direct violence."
The Human Cost of the War in Iraq

Are you serious? You are going throughout history to count up the dead now? LOL! Also, militants, insurgents, and the Iraqi people's own government have killed COUNTLESS more than that.

We should have taken over that region a long time ago and made it Middle America. Imagine how much better things would be there today.

I think we all have the capacity for evil, sometimes even when we are trying to do good.

However, I do not think anyone is explicitly born evil. Evil is a choice.

I think we all have the capacity for evil, sometimes even when we are trying to do good.

This is pretty close to my view. There are mentally ill who do evil things but for them it is not really a choice. Those who have choice can choose to do good or do evil. And what is 'evil' other than that which harms ourselves or others?

This is pretty close to my view. There are mentally ill who do evil things but for them it is not really a choice. Those who have choice can choose to do good or do evil. And what is 'evil' other than that which harms ourselves or others?

Exactly. The mentally ill are just that; ill.

They're sick, not intrinsically evil. True evil requires that a person be cognisant of their actions, but go through with them anyway.

Forum List

Back