Do you believe in evil?

Ahhh, thank you.

I will presume that you believe in good, if not please do tell me.
Good cannot be defined without either it's absence or opposite.

So . . . what you are saying is that you believe there are people who are completely evil, that have absolutely NO redeeming qualities whatsoever, never have and never will, and you believe that there are people who are nothing but sweetness and light and goodness who have absolutely no "evil" (which is why I hesitate to use the word "evil") in them at all, have never had a bad thought, never have and never will?

Okayyyyyy.

Yep, we are done.

Okay, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out! :lol:

Sorry, I rarely do requests.

Yes.

I believe in the existence of Good and Evil, that Good is always better than Evil, and that Good is usually triumphant in the end.

Profoundly ill people can commit profoundly evil acts.

Yes, well, like I stated earlier in the thread, the Mayans killed people (and it wasn't pleasant, sometimes they would out their hearts), and sacrifice them. That was normal in THEIR culture. They didn't consider that to be evil. It was part of their belief system.

I think the way that some organized religions treat homosexuals and others could be described as "evil."

Priests who have molested children could be considered "evil." It's a label that you can apply to any act you don't agree with.

chrisl, I understand your reasoning, but I don't agree with it is all.

Because some people believe human sacrifice is normal does not make it not evil, any more than pedophilia can ever be anything but evil.

Because some people believe human sacrifice is normal does not make it not evil, any more than pedophilia can ever be anything but evil.

Oh really? Did you know that at one time, age of consent in Delaware was 7 years old. In many other states, it was 10 years old or 12 years old.

Children and Youth in History Age of Consent Laws

Those were marriage laws, if I remember my reading correctly, for securing property. We are talking about pedophilia, not marriage. Whether one is married to a prepubescent child is immaterial in terms of evil of having sex with said child.

Also, slavery is a good example. Of course, nowadays, we consider slavery "evil." At one time, it was completely normal and not questioned at all. Some people were slaves. That was just how it was. Why? Because they had a different culture with different standards.

When life is easier, we tend to do a lot less "evil."
Those were marriage laws, if I remember my reading correctly, for securing property. We are talking about pedophilia, not marriage. Whether one is married to a prepubescent child is immaterial in terms of evil of having sex with said child.

WHAT? Lol! Oh, okay. So men were just "marrying" these children . . . ??? property? Hmmm. That's a VERY strange perspective you've got there. Although I think the idea that MANY men were marrying (AND having sex with) children back in the old days is very much exaggerated, it happened and was NOT looked down upon, and that is why these age of consent laws were acceptable back then. That was a way of oppressing women back in the old days, and most men were just FINE with it.

ChrisL, I don't have any obligation to defend your example.

That is on you. If the adult had sex with the child, whether married or not, is the point.

Wriggle and wiggle, doesn't matter. Evil exists, which by fiat requires an opposite in good.

Abstract or concrete morality is immaterial to the argument.

^^^^

I don't know how on earth

That is on you. If the adult had sex with the child, whether married or not, is the point.

Wriggle and wiggle, doesn't matter. Evil exists, which by fiat requires an opposite in good.

Well, I disagree and think it has everything to do with the argument. It goes to show that the concept of "evil" is created by your current societal expectations and nothing more.

^^^^

I don't know how on earth

Well, I disagree and think it has everything to do with the argument. It goes to show that the concept of "evil" is created by your current societal expectations and nothing more.

My post above is totally FUBAR. I don't know what happened. I deleted the above where it says "how on earth," so I don't know why that posted when I posted my edited version.

No such thing as evil or good. Only actions and consequences. Or more accurately, stupid and not-stupid. :)
Oh so you can call something stupid and not stupid, but you back up when it comes to calling evil (evil) or good (good), and this you do when when you actually see it or hear about it ? Interesting but very naïve sounding to me.

Obama is obviously creating terrorists. That's evil.

Yeah, he trains them at Army bases in Georgia...
Maybe not Georgia, but they were pretty good at labeling the acts of one Major Hassan as workplace violence over in Ft.Hood. Is that a way to conceal terrorist actions by doing such things as that ? Think about it..

No, It was necessary so the military could get the death penalty...

Obama is obviously creating terrorists. That's evil.

Yeah, he trains them at Army bases in Georgia...
Maybe not Georgia, but they were pretty good at labeling the acts of one Major Hassan as workplace violence over in Ft.Hood. Is that a way to conceal terrorist actions by doing such things as that ? Think about it..

No, It was necessary so the military could get the death penalty...
Fart Hood was my last duty station in 1st Cav..

I believe that evil, as we speak..in this time and age ....has taken form and manifested in radical Islam....those who behead children and adults.... etc.... like it's nothing......like it's just another day at the office......

I do believe that evil exists through them too ... you can say radical Islam is the Antichrist, so to speak..meanig these words in a simbolic way ....you know.

Forum List

Back