Do you believe in evil?

Meaty Talk

For our age, we talk a great deal about how industrialization related manmade pollution is 'evil.'

Pollution devastates Earth's ecosystems and reveals man's clumsy management of his own ambition and ingenuity.

We usually define evil in terms of unproductivity, undesirable regression, gruesome decay, harmful corruption, etc.

Ironically, modern era self-image art totems such as the perception-paranoia horror film "Hellraiser" (1987) help society talk about the general conversational 'problem' of evil.

:banana:

Hellraiser - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

poison-ivy.jpg

Seriously?

I happen to think that just about everything the APA does is snake oil, but even I have to admit that there are people who are mentally ill. I have known people who are schizophrenic, and can tell you flat out that acceptable behavior has nothing to do with their problem. I suggest you take some time to volunteer at a homeless shelter for a few weeks, you might learn the difference between reality and your misinformed outlook on the world.
I did some work at the local neuropsychiatric hospital. Mental illness is very very real.

I'm sure there are plenty if people who are falsely diagnosed as having an actual mental illness, but there are plenty as well who are really and very actually ill.

Do you think that some things/people are inherently evil, that all of us may have the seed of evil within us?

All of us are flawed.
Some of us are flawed in an evil way.
There is a difference between evilly-flawed and just plain flawed.

Yes.
There is evil.

Do you think that some things/people are inherently evil, that all of us may have the seed of evil within us?
We have both good and evil within us, but we must choose which one to nourish as an individual and a society found in responsibility of such decision makings. It can become evil on one side, and bad things become more and more prevalent as time slips by on us. It appears that we have begun to entertain more and more our evil side in which we possess in life, and this is a very bad thing in proof there of for sure. There is a way out if we so choose, but we must choose before it over takes us completely in our life.

There were some great posts in this thread, but let us speak logically...

If we are to have true good, there must be an opposite, let us call it evil for the sake of discussion. Preschoolers might call it "bad."

That leads to thinking about the contrapositive: If there is no evil, there can be no good.

If one will not acknowledge evil, they will eventually fall to either anarchy or an attempt to enforce an artificial definition of acceptability.

If we are to have true good, there must be an opposite, let us call it evil for the sake of discussion. Preschoolers might call it "bad."

That leads to thinking about the contrapositive: If there is no evil, there can be no good.

If one will not acknowledge evil, they will eventually fall to either anarchy or an attempt to enforce an artificial definition of acceptability.

Some things are just cultural perspective. A lot of us today would have considered the Mayans "evil" because they performed human sacrifices, but they didn't think of it as evil.

Some things are just cultural perspective. A lot of us today would have considered the Mayans "evil" because they performed human sacrifices, but they didn't think of it as evil.

Logically there either is, or is not good. If one denies evil, how can anyone condemn anything that anyone does?

I do not know how the Mayans selected their sacrifices.
People purposely killing people for no fault is evil.

I have already stated where this ends; which do you favor, Anarchy or Control?

Logically there either is, or is not good. If one denies evil, how can anyone condemn anything that anyone does?

I consider it more of a philosophical question. Do I think a person can be truly all "evil." I'm not so sure about that. Of course, when I think of someone like Jeffrey Dahmer or some other serial killers, it makes me wonder if there are a very few RARE exceptions, but for the most part, I think that everybody, even a murderer, might have something good about him/her.

I consider it more of a philosophical question. Do I think a person can be truly all "evil." I'm not so sure about that. Of course, when I think of someone like Jeffrey Dahmer or some other serial killers, it makes me wonder if there are a very few RARE exceptions, but for the most part, I think that everybody, even a murderer, might have something good about him/her.

Dodge makes good trucks.

Dodge makes good trucks.

I am new, let me translate...

To expand the discussion from philosophical and logical discussion of evil to a particular example (Mayan) and then to pivot to a more universal description of a person being good/evil is dodging the question.

Blues in A, keep up with the changes.

"Evil" as a concept is, if not exclusive to European culture, at least seems to be referred to in more specific language. For instance, the ancient Hebrew word that is rendered "evil" in English translations of the Bible means something closer to "dysfunctional"

About the Ancient Hebrew Culture

To me, the term "unhealthy" is more familiar.

Dodge makes good trucks.

I am new, let me translate...

To expand the discussion from philosophical and logical discussion of evil to a particular example (Mayan) and then to pivot to a more universal description of a person being good/evil is dodging the question.

Blues in A, keep up with the changes.

Whatever. I was looking to have an interesting conversation for once without someone trying to "one up" me. Ridiculous.

beagle9 said:
And because of this thinking you could justify what maybe ? Maybe their heinous crime for that good in which you see in them, and then comes the pardon next ?

Last edited:

And because of this thinking you could justify what maybe ?

This is a discussion about whether I think a person can be truly evil. I'm not trying to justify anything, so get a grip.

The older I become and the more I have witnessed, I realize that evil does reside much more fully in the hearts of some human beings. And in one of my cats!

Last edited:

Progressives believe they are better suited to make choices for humans. Does that mean they are evil?

Yeah

Last edited:

Forum List

Back