Do You Believe All ''Men'' Are Created Equal?

Are All Men Created Equal?

• Yes (please explain)

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • No (please explain)

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
that would depend on what you mean by equal.

Seriously Kat, what does "created equal" mean ? Brains? Money? Physically? Opportunity ?

I am doing a lousy job conveying what I mean. My apologies.

To simplify...I will just say that I do not believe that any one person is better than another due to being smarter, wealthier, etc.
We are all different, but as humans equal.

All humans count as 1 life maybe ?

LOL

There has been slavery since the beginning of man. Is it wrong? Of course. But that has NOTHING to do with this thread.
Strawman at best.

how is it a straw man?, and how can people that condoned slavery make a statement stating all men are created equal? were'nt slaves also part of mankind?

From the very beginning of mankind. There have always been slaves of some sort, and always will be.
Do I think it is wrong? Yes. THAT is one reason I believe all are created equal.

Right, and the meaning of those words in the constitution, that "all men are created equal", was intended to convey equality of all people under the law as provided by the constitution...Regardless of what Jefferson may have done with his slaves, the constitution stood the test of time and provided the opportunity for equality under the law to be asserted for all people.

Some men may be better than others at some things, but regardless of whatever circumstances which may find one man measuring less than another, the constitution provides that no man (person) is supposed to be treated unequally under the law.

how is it a straw man?, and how can people that condoned slavery make a statement stating all men are created equal? were'nt slaves also part of mankind?

From the very beginning of mankind. There have always been slaves of some sort, and always will be.
Do I think it is wrong? Yes. THAT is one reason I believe all are created equal.

Right, and the meaning of those words in the constitution, that "all men are created equal", was intended to convey equality of all people under the law as provided by the constitution...Regardless of what Jefferson may have done with his slaves, the constitution stood the test of time and provided the opportunity for equality under the law to be asserted for all people.

Some men may be better than others at some things, but regardless of whatever circumstances which may find one man measuring less than another, the constitution provides that no man (person) is supposed to be treated unequally under the law.

We flunked that one big time, didn't we ?

Seriously Kat, what does "created equal" mean ? Brains? Money? Physically? Opportunity ?

To simplify...I will just say that I do not believe that any one person is better than another due to being smarter, wealthier, etc.

Well, no. And we are all different, and not all one.

Well, no. And we are all different, and not all one.

no---each life counts as one life----no matter what

"All mean are created equal..." is part of the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

"All mean are created equal..." is part of the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.

Sorry, I misspoke...regarding Jefferson and the Declaration and then the Constitution also addresses the issue of equality under the law in the 14th amendment:

Amendment 14 - Citizenship Rights.

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Last edited:

Sorry, I misspoke.

No, no, I did. Leave it to BGG to correct it. :lol: Thanks BGG. :)

Sorry, I misspoke.

We are all guilty of that at times. No problem. ;)

I see, so Thomas Jefferson was referring to the Canadians? The Mexicans? The French?

Am I close?

I see, so Thomas Jefferson was referring to the Canadians? The Mexicans? The French?

Am I close?

I think everyone EXCEPT the French

no---each life counts as one life----no matter what

:lol: Isn't that what I said?

probably-----those bubbles always mess me up

:lol:
20.gif
spank-1.gif

Sorry, I misspoke...regarding Jefferson and the Declaration and then the Constitution also addresses the issue of equality under the law in the 14th amendment:

No you didn't.

"No language is more worthy of frequent and thoughtful consideration than these words of Mr. Justice Matthews, speaking for this court, in Yick Wo v. Hopkins,118 U.S. 356, 369: 'When we consider the nature and the theory of our institutions of government, the principles upon which they are supposed to rest, and review the history of their development, we are constrained to conclude that they do not mean to leave room for the play and action of purely personal and arbitrary power.' The first official action of this nation declared the foundation of government in these words: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.' While such declarations of principles may not have the force of organic law, or be made the basis of judicial decision as to the limits of right and duty, and while in all cases reference must be had to the organic law of the nation for such limits, yet the latter is but the body and the letter of which the former is the thought and the spirit, and it is always safe to read the letter of the Constitution in the spirit of the Declaration of Independence. No duty rests more imperatively upon the courts than the enforcement of those constitutional provisions intended to secure that equality of rights which is the foundation of free government."

COTTING v. KANSAS CITY STOCK YARDS COMPANY AND STATE KANSAS., 22 S. Ct. 30, 183 U.S. 79 (U.S. 11/25/1901)

If this has been posted here, forgive me. If not yft. I have posted this poll other places, and was a bit stunned with the replies.

So, Do you believe all ''men'' are created equal? Whatever your answer, please explain..

It is kind of a loaded question even without "men" being parenthsized.

Nobody is created equal. We are all created unique. We all have more of this, less of that.

Regardless of gender.

Equality, justice, law, authority, rights, truth, God, Good, Evil, and many more man made concepts are illusions not manifest anywhere in the real universe. They exist exclusively in our minds. They have no other existence.

Virtually everything we think as urbanites, politically aware, educated and modern is merely man made bullshit otherwise known as social illusions.

Was all sex created pizza?

If this has been posted here, forgive me. If not yft. I have posted this poll other places, and was a bit stunned with the replies.

So, Do you believe all ''men'' are created equal? Whatever your answer, please explain..

It is kind of a loaded question even without "men" being parenthsized.

Nobody is created equal. We are all created unique. We all have more of this, less of that.

Regardless of gender.

Equality, justice, law, authority, rights, truth, God, Good, Evil, and many more man made concepts are illusions not manifest anywhere in the real universe. They exist exclusively in our minds. They have no other existence.

Virtually everything we think as urbanites, politically aware, educated and modern is merely man made bullshit otherwise known as social illusions.

Was all sex created pizza?

Men was in parenthesis b/c that is how it is worded, and I wanted to make sure that people knew when I said men..it meant all people. And it was not loaded. I don't do loaded.

As for the other..totally disagree.

Last edited:

No you didn't.

"No language is more worthy of frequent and thoughtful consideration than these words of Mr. Justice Matthews, speaking for this court, in Yick Wo v. Hopkins,118 U.S. 356, 369: 'When we consider the nature and the theory of our institutions of government, the principles upon which they are supposed to rest, and review the history of their development, we are constrained to conclude that they do not mean to leave room for the play and action of purely personal and arbitrary power.' The first official action of this nation declared the foundation of government in these words: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.' While such declarations of principles may not have the force of organic law, or be made the basis of judicial decision as to the limits of right and duty, and while in all cases reference must be had to the organic law of the nation for such limits, yet the latter is but the body and the letter of which the former is the thought and the spirit, and it is always safe to read the letter of the Constitution in the spirit of the Declaration of Independence. No duty rests more imperatively upon the courts than the enforcement of those constitutional provisions intended to secure that equality of rights which is the foundation of free government."

COTTING v. KANSAS CITY STOCK YARDS COMPANY AND STATE KANSAS., 22 S. Ct. 30, 183 U.S. 79 (U.S. 11/25/1901)

Ah hah!

Right, and the meaning of those words in the constitution, that "all men are created equal", was intended to convey equality of all people under the law as provided by the constitution...Regardless of what Jefferson may have done with his slaves

No the meaning of that phrase was intended to assert the rights of free white men with property. That's a fact.

, the constitution stood the test of time

The constitution FAILED The test of time. MISERABLY. First off a duly ratified amendment was illegally barred from becoming law. (13th amendment). Second the Civil War itself was entirely unconstitutional. Third ever since then the SC has undermined that constitution so many times and with such erosionary effect that the bill of rights is barely intact.

and provided the opportunity for equality under the law to be asserted for all people.

which has never happened and never will.

Well in theory, but not in practice. In practice every man and woman is treated unequally under the law.

See "driving while black" or "ponzi scheming while white" for just two of billions of examples.

Forum List

Back