Do We View Egypt As In Africa Or As In The Middle East?

SherriMunnerlyn

VIP Member
Jun 11, 2012
"Egypt*i/ˈiːdʒɪpt/*(Arabic:*مصر**Miṣr), officially the Arab Republic of Egypt*(Arabic:*جمهورية مصر العربية*), is a*transcontinental country*spanning the*northeast corner of Africa*and*southwest corner of Asia*via a*land bridge*formed by the*Sinai Peninsula. Most of its territory of 1,010,000 square kilometers (390,000*sq*mi) lies within*North Africa*and is bordered by the*Mediterranean Sea*to the north, the*Gaza Strip*and*Israel*to the northeast, the*Red Sea*to the east,*Sudan*to the south and*Libya*to the west.Egypt is one of the most populous countries in Africa and the Middle East, and the 15th most populated in the world. The great majority of its over 84 million people[4]*live near the banks of theNile*River, an area of about 40,000 square kilometers (15,000*sq*mi), where the only*arable land*is found. The large regions of the*SaharaDesert, which constitute most of Egypt's territory, are sparsely inhabited. About half of Egypt's residents live in urban areas, with most spread across the densely populated centres of greaterCairo,*Alexandria*and other major cities in the*Nile Delta.Egypt is the most populated country in the Middle East, and the third most populous on the*African continent, with about 84 million inhabitants as of 2013.[4]*Its population grew rapidly from 1970 to 2010 due to*medical advances*and increases in agricultural productivity*[120]*enabled by the*Green Revolution.[121]*Egypt's population was estimated at only 3 million when*Napoleon*invaded the country in 1798.[122]" Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I started this thread because this seems to be a complex question and I do not know the proper forum to discuss present events happening in Egypt. Wikipedia classifies Egypt as both part of Africa and the Middle East.

List of transcontinental countries

"This is a*list of countries spanning more than one continent, known as*transcontinental states.[dubious*–*discuss]*While there are many countries with non-contiguous*overseas territories*fitting this definition, only a limited number of countries have territory spanning an overland*continental boundary: Asian–European boundary: *Azerbaijan,*Georgia, Kazakhstan, *Russia, *Turkey. African–Asian boundary:*Egypt. Listed further below, separately, are countries with distant non-contiguous parts (overseas territories) on separate continents." List of transcontinental countries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
To answer your question: I would say when I think of Egypt that Africa automatically pops up. I guess it is because most of it is located in Egypt so you can't go wrong there. Of course, I do realize it has strong ties to the Middle East despite the majority of the country being in Africa.

Forum List

Back