Zone1 How do McDonald's in the Middle East pass Koser or Hala?

$ecular#eckler

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2020
Transient
I am pretty sure a cheeseburger is not Koser, because they cannot mix dairy with meats. And pork - we all know they cannot eat a Quarter Pounder with cheese and bacon, or a Sausage Egg McMuffin.

AA1iBJD6.img

Franchises in Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Turkey, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia donated money to Gaza. Others, in Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan, released statements but only later, under pressure, offered money.

The McDonald’s Corporation, responding to an inquiry about its franchisees’ political and charitable activities, said Saturday that the company’s top priority was ensuring the safety of its people and teams on the ground.

But the gestures have not stopped calls for a boycott of the fast-food company, as well as attacks on some locations. In Egypt, boycott calls quickly circulated online as many people took to social media to express their anger.

Well, I'll be checking on the employees at my McDonald's today.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure a cheeseburger is not Koser, because they cannot mix dairy with meats. And pork - we all know they cannot eat a Quarter Pounder with cheese and bacon, or a Sausage Egg McMuffin.

AA1iBJD6.img

The menus vary depending on where they are located.

I am pretty sure a cheeseburger is not Koser [sic], because they cannot mix dairy with meats. And pork - we all know they cannot eat a Quarter Pounder with cheese and bacon, or a Sausage Egg McMuffin.

AA1iBJD6.img

I understand Halal to be much less strict than Kosher; that in a pinch, Kosher food is acceptable to a Muslim if Halal food isn't easily available. I do not think it would be at all difficult for a McDonald's to offer a Halal-compliant subset of their full menu, even while offering non-Halal items to non-Muslim customers.

Kosher is a lot more tricky. At the top of everything, any food coming from any kitchen that produces any non-Kosher food cannot be Kosher. An observant Jew cannot eat even a normal, hamburger, consisting only of individual ingredients that are each otherwise Kosher-compliant, if that burger was produced in the same kitchen that also produces cheeseburgers.

Meat cannot be Kosher if it has been in contact with any cooking vessel, dish, or implement that has also been in contact with any dairy product, and likewise, dairy products cannot be Kosher if they have been in contact with any such items that have also been in contact with mean.

It was once explained to me that somewhere along the way, the Jews became so fearful of violating God's commandments, that they created sets of “hedge laws” outside of the original commandments, and sometimes created layers outside of other layers, just to be sure that they didn't come anywhere close to violating the actual commandments. The whole thing about mixing meat and dairy is probably one of the more extravagant versions of this. The original commandment, as found in Exodus 23:19, was “Thou shalt not seethe a kid [a baby goat] in his mother’s milk. ” With all the layers of “hedge laws” around that original commandment, it has turned into a strict prohibition against any mixing of meat and dairy, even of allowing any item that has been in contact with one to be in contact with the other, to be absolutely certain that they never eat meat while also consuming anything that could have come from the milk of the mother of the animal from which the meat came.

There's more to Kosher than that, of course, but that's the one thing about it that seems, to me, would make it rather extreme and tricky to follow. That and the fact that a kitchen that has ever produced anything non-Kosher cannot produce anything Kosher.

I assume that Muslims follow that commandment, at least in its original form, that it cannot be Halal to eat the meat of a baby goat, if that meat has been cooked in the milk from the mother of that baby goat. I do not know if they go any farther than that, though. I bet a Muslim would be perfectly fine with eating a cheeseburger, if it had been prepared in accordance with Halal rules.

Forum List

Back