Do the R’s Get a Speaker or a Sacrificial Lamb?

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
We have 40 days until the next budget show-down which may cause the government to shut down once more. Scientists tell us that it will happen right around Thanksgiving.

According to the AP...here is a list of demands from the Freedom Caucus:

WASHINGTON (AP) — House conservatives in a group known as the Freedom Caucushave unveiled a list of demands that they want included in a stopgap spending measure to keep the federal government running after the end of September.

It’s a smorgasbord of non-starters for the Democratic-controlled Senate and the White House, signaling the challenges House Speaker Kevin McCarthy will face next month to get a bill passed in the House without alienating a sizeable share of his conference.

Historically, members of the Freedom Caucus rarely support short-term spending bills to keep the government open, but with Republicans holding just a five-seat majority in the House, they have significant leverage over the agenda. Still, McCarthy will likely need votes from Democrats to pass a short-term funding measure than can also get through the Senate and be signed into law.

Clearly not all of that is going to pass. The Voters have given he GOP a paper thin majority to where you may actually have GOP defections if the extremes are tested. To say nothing of it being DOA in the Senate and of course Biden holds the Veto by which it would never pass the Senate or the House for that matter.

So for a Freedom Caucus member as speaker, eventually he will have to ink a deal with moderates. And the moment he does that; he’s branded a RINO and is sent packing.

So the question is....does the House really want a speaker who is going to have to sign another CR or will they prefer a sacrificial lamb to sacrifice himself in November '23 and hope the GOP wins back the Senate and the Oval in 2024?

If they can't get Trump in there, it should be someone like Jordan, who will be obedient.

They may as well go whole hog, so to speak.
Sort of my point....

Lets say they put him in as Speaker. He’ll have to cave eventually if we’re going to have a government. Can you imagine the optics....government is shutdown, tens of thousands of employees are furloughed; defense department folks are missing pay checks....but the House is still doing their impeachment thingy????

I forget which player it was but the NFL was on strike one year and they had this all world rookie. They hired replacement players. The player in question didn’t amount to much as I recall but supposedly he was the second coming of Jim Brown. He really wanted to play and start cashing paychecks (of course). The coaches and the owners told him that they really didn’t want him out there with the reputation as a scab for one thing and that he could really get hurt by someone as another. In other words, the was too valuable to the team long-term to risk in the moment of insanity.

Anyway, I’m certainly not saying that Jordan is the second coming of anyone other than the runs that follow a vomit--that would be apropos. But does the Freedom Caucus really want to put one of their own in that slot this Fall and then just have to either expel them or explain why they didn’t?

Sort of my point....

Lets say they put him in as Speaker. He’ll have to cave eventually if we’re going to have a government. Can you imagine the optics....government is shutdown, tens of thousands of employees are furloughed; defense department folks are missing pay checks....but the House is still doing their impeachment thingy????

I forget which player it was but the NFL was on strike one year and they had this all world rookie. They hired replacement players. The player in question didn’t amount to much as I recall but supposedly he was the second coming of Jim Brown. He really wanted to play and start cashing paychecks (of course). The coaches and the owners told him that they really didn’t want him out there with the reputation as a scab for one thing and that he could really get hurt by someone as another. In other words, the was too valuable to the team long-term to risk in the moment of insanity.

Anyway, I’m certainly not saying that Jordan is the second coming of anyone other than the runs that follow a vomit--that would be apropos. But does the Freedom Caucus really want to put one of their own in that slot this Fall and then just have to either expel them or explain why they didn’t?
Well, I think the only reason Trump would become Speaker is specifically to annoy Democrats. Own the libs. That's their top priority, their primary goal. I don't understand it, but I guess these people just want to inflict pain on the people they feel have victimized them. Weird.

Other than that, I definitely think there would be some politicial danger in doing it, but who knows. But installing someone like Jordan would be almost as "good" for them, since everyone would know who's really in charge, and Trump would be protected from any icky politics.

Well, I think the only reason Trump would become Speaker is specifically to annoy Democrats. Own the libs. That's their top priority, their primary goal. I don't understand it, but I guess these people just want to inflict pain on the people they feel have victimized them. Weird.

Other than that, I definitely think there would be some politicial danger in doing it, but who knows. But installing someone like Jordan would be almost as "good" for them, since everyone would know who's really in charge, and Trump would be protected from any icky politics.
Speaker of the House has to work hard to build consensus among your party

Trump does not work well with others
He wants to give orders and have them followed

I would want Trump as speaker. Install large TV's in the chamber and show the ways of those representatives living with a carnival way of fun. Yesterday, Gaetz told you what the problems are. If you do not want the Prog derived clown show to stop, then Trump makes sense.

Didn't Trumpy decline? He's a crook and a wannabe dictator, but no one ever accused him of taking a job of a LOSER.
Not yet. Plus the republicans will have to break or change House Rule 26: No one can serve as Speaker if under indictment with a penalty of 2 years in prison.
They've already backdoored their newest pay raise by changing the House Handbook to include up to $79 in meal reimbursements and $278 in overnight accommodation pay while in session. With a "session" being 119 days, That's $39,000!!!

Trump definitely wants to become speaker. It would allow him immunity for just about anything he wanted to say. He'd probably try to impeach Biden first thing, and impeach Harris second.

I'm sure the KAOS caucus will go whole hog for Trump as speaker.

But, are their enough traditional Republicans to keep Trump (or Jordan) out of the Speaker's job?

We have 40 days until the next budget show-down which may cause the government to shut down once more. Scientists tell us that it will happen right around Thanksgiving.

According to the AP...here is a list of demands from the Freedom Caucus:

WASHINGTON (AP) — House conservatives in a group known as the Freedom Caucushave unveiled a list of demands that they want included in a stopgap spending measure to keep the federal government running after the end of September.

It’s a smorgasbord of non-starters for the Democratic-controlled Senate and the White House, signaling the challenges House Speaker Kevin McCarthy will face next month to get a bill passed in the House without alienating a sizeable share of his conference.

Historically, members of the Freedom Caucus rarely support short-term spending bills to keep the government open, but with Republicans holding just a five-seat majority in the House, they have significant leverage over the agenda. Still, McCarthy will likely need votes from Democrats to pass a short-term funding measure than can also get through the Senate and be signed into law.

Clearly not all of that is going to pass. The Voters have given he GOP a paper thin majority to where you may actually have GOP defections if the extremes are tested. To say nothing of it being DOA in the Senate and of course Biden holds the Veto by which it would never pass the Senate or the House for that matter.

So for a Freedom Caucus member as speaker, eventually he will have to ink a deal with moderates. And the moment he does that; he’s branded a RINO and is sent packing.

So the question is....does the House really want a speaker who is going to have to sign another CR or will they prefer a sacrificial lamb to sacrifice himself in November '23 and hope the GOP wins back the Senate and the Oval in 2024?
I just don't see the Gop House being able to pass another CR of any kind after the TP kicked out the last gop speaker. They couldn't pass a budget before, so there's no reason to think they'd be able to now.
I suppose Scalise's the "next up," but McCarthy wanted "speaker" on his post House career resume. But any CR he'd propose still has to pass the senate .... and the senate already passed the gop CR.

So unless Scalise or someone else wants to volunteer to put his head on the block, I only see two ways to play this out.
1. A few gopers join with the Dems to elect Jeffries, but there'd have to be an agreement for an end product for him to agree to take on the progressive wing, of which he's really a member or very sympathetic. And "Never interfere with an enemy who is destroying itself." (paraphrase)

2. More likely, the dems just bust the balls of the tea party. The dems passed McCarthy's CR. If the TP demands for a second CR, but now with demands not in the original, or more likely imo, a budget, can't even pass the House ...... the dems in theory could pass a budget in the senate that is mainstream enough to get some House gop votes, for those reps who will be retiring in 25 if they don't pass it. Normally I'd say the dems' ability to self-immolate cannot be underestimated, I think Pelosi and AOC are fairly sympatico these days.

I just don't see the Gop House being able to pass another CR of any kind after the TP kicked out the last gop speaker. They couldn't pass a budget before, so there's no reason to think they'd be able to now.
I suppose Scalise's the "next up," but McCarthy wanted "speaker" on his post House career resume. But any CR he'd propose still has to pass the senate .... and the senate already passed the gop CR.

So unless Scalise or someone else wants to volunteer to put his head on the block, I only see two ways to play this out.
1. A few gopers join with the Dems to elect Jeffries, but there'd have to be an agreement for an end product for him to agree to take on the progressive wing, of which he's really a member or very sympathetic. And "Never interfere with an enemy who is destroying itself." (paraphrase)

2. More likely, the dems just bust the balls of the tea party. The dems passed McCarthy's CR. If the TP demands for a second CR, but now with demands not in the original, or more likely imo, a budget, can't even pass the House ...... the dems in theory could pass a budget in the senate that is mainstream enough to get some House gop votes, for those reps who will be retiring in 25 if they don't pass it. Normally I'd say the dems' ability to self-immolate cannot be underestimated, I think Pelosi and AOC are fairly sympatico these days.
Interesting analysis. I think #1 is a non-starter. For multiple reasons. Leaving alone the Hatfields and McCoys relationship for a moment, Jeffries wouldn’t take it because once the GOP gets together, they can vote him out of office which they will the first time he steps out of line.

Not sure about #2. I think you’re right. The Dems have a bit more leverage now that its clear the inmates are running the asylum in the House GOP as well. But I think you’ve buried the lead as for the politics of it. Now that the GOP has gone full Kaiser Soze on the last speaker because he had the temerity to do the responsible thing, when the shutdown looms in November, what are they going to try to sell to the American public? We’re the responsible party? Good luck. Matt Gaytz is an office holder; not a politician. This was brazenly stupid on his part and most on the right don’t realize the political football they just coughed up.

Forum List

Back