do the Chinese really have a territorial right to own Taiwan?

do the Chinese have a territorial right to Taiwan?

• Yes

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I just don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i believe that once a country establishes a position as 'superpower', they won't let go of that position without a(n) (economic) fight.

with this in view, it's not misunderstood that China is putting nearly all of their eggs into becoming a real and recognized superpower *now*, before those populations in other countries (India too for instance) take over that region.
it's a real land-rush. sea border lines rush.

To understand that, we need to look at the current superpower and see why it wants to hold on to that even given actual fights.

To answer the question, the U.S. needs others to continue using the dollar; otherwise, it will not be able to continue borrowing and spending heavily, which it needs to do not only for its economy but also for its military, which is used to coerce other countries into remaining dependent on the U.S., and that includes using the dollar as a reserve currency.

In which case, it becomes highly illogical for China to pursue the same path, as it's currently doing very well economically. Given such, it's pointless for it to take control of Taiwan or any other country when it can invest in them, and pointless, too, to have the yuan become a reserve currency. Otherwise, it will end up like the U.S., which is utterly dependent on heavy borrowing and spending.

To understand that, we need to look at the current superpower and see why it wants to hold on to that even given actual fights.

To answer the question, the U.S. needs others to continue using the dollar; otherwise, it will not be able to continue borrowing and spending heavily, which it needs to do not only for its economy but also for its military, which is used to coerce other countries into remaining dependent on the U.S., and that includes using the dollar as a reserve currency.

In which case, it becomes highly illogical for China to pursue the same path, as it's currently doing very well economically. Given such, it's pointless for it to take control of Taiwan or any other country when it can invest in them, and pointless, too, to have the yuan become a reserve currency. Otherwise, it will end up like the U.S., which is utterly dependent on heavy borrowing and spending.
i'm not well-versed enough in the arts of economics to make any statements about this.
but to me, a layman, it would seem that you are right.
i don't like the borrowing schemes anymore than the next guy.

Forum List

Back