do the Chinese really have a territorial right to own Taiwan?

do the Chinese have a territorial right to Taiwan?

• Yes

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I just don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

peacefan

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam, Netherlands
i've changed my thinking on this issue tonight.

i used to think, that because the Island of Taiwan is so close to China, and the fact that the Taiwanese were dissidents against the Chinese Communist Party back in WW2, that China "had every right to claim that territory".

but tonight, 2 thoughts popped into my mind :
* the Taiwanese are also just Humans, and their hearts are Democratic. they wanted to keep living near China after WW2, so they retreated onto that Island and joined the Western alliance of Democratic countries.
* the Taiwanese form no military threat against China whatsoever, not as far as i can recall at least. prove me wrong, Chinese, if you want me to switch sides on this important issue again - your South China Sea naval fleet (and more) is potentially at stake here.

of course, Ukraine is on the international agenda this week, so i'll just patiently await the Chinese response to these arguments i raise here.

Why does China want it NOW? After about 70 years of freedom from China, WHY does China bother?

1. Taiwan is still one of the largest manufacturing countries on the planet.
2. It sticks in Jinpings craw that China isn't the slum-ghetto factory location for the whole planet.
3. Political agendas.

Why does China want it NOW? After about 70 years of freedom from China, WHY does China bother?

1. Taiwan is still one of the largest manufacturing countries on the planet.
2. It sticks in Jinpings craw that China isn't the slum-ghetto factory location for the whole planet.
3. Political agendas.
well, then i (now) think that we should teach China to be more humble.

...i used to think, that because the Island of Taiwan is so close to China....
It has nothing to do with proximity - otherwise no one would need to talk about the Malvinas/Falkland issue.
It is simply and only about international law - according to the UN both China's are represented solely via the PRC. - argument settled.

Taiwan has been an integral part of sovereign China since the Ming Dynasty. (16th century). Due to US involvement the KMT was able to flee to Taiwan and claim itself as representing the former mainland ROC - ruled from Taipei. A big joke as such - but supported by the USA till the Nixon administration.

The USA allowed for the occupation of Taiwan via KMT troops - due to being the selfproclaimed "overlord" of Taiwan in regards to it's peace/surrender-treaty with Japan. A peace-treaty negotiation with Japan to which neither the KMT nor the CPC were invited. rest assured neither the KMT nor the CPC would have acquitted towards a peace-treaty making the USA the overlord of Taiwan.

Taiwan's proximity to China gives China no more right to own Taiwan than Cuba's similar proximity to the USA give the USA the right to own Cuba.
that's a valid opinion.
but most in China would by now not agree with you.
they'd support the territorial claim.
their national pride is focussed on it through indoctrination by now.

It has nothing to do with proximity - otherwise no one would need to talk about the Malvinas/Falkland issue.
It is simply and only about international law - according to the UN both China's are represented solely via the PRC. - argument settled.

Taiwan has been an integral part of sovereign China since the Ming Dynasty. (16th century). Due to US involvement the KMT was able to flee to Taiwan and claim itself as representing the former mainland ROC - ruled from Taipei. A big joke as such - but supported by the USA till the Nixon administration.

The USA allowed for the occupation of Taiwan via KMT troops - due to being the selfproclaimed "overlord" of Taiwan in regards to it's peace/surrender-treaty with Japan. A peace-treaty negotiation with Japan to which neither the KMT nor the CPC were invited. rest assured neither the KMT nor the CPC would have acquitted towards a peace-treaty making the USA the overlord of Taiwan.
historical claims to a territory are always bullsh!t.
what matters is the fate of the affected people, now and in the future.

the KMT has every right to live in the weather conditions offered on the island country of Taiwan.
they choose to live by different economic and social rules - ours.
so let them, or pay the price of loss in regional wars.

you'll claim it is all our fault, for not heeding to your decades of nagging over Taiwan,
but we'll know better.
like the Tibetans and the Huyghurs before, you now want to oppress yet another nearby population.

that's called violent expansionism, and you force us to engage you with every intent of winning such armed conflicts.

historical claims to a territory are always bullsh!t.
what matters is the fate of the affected people, now and in the future.

the KMT has every right to live in the weather conditions offered on the island country of Taiwan.
they choose to live by different economic and social rules - ours.
so let them, or pay the price of loss in regional wars.

you'll claim it is all our fault, for not heeding to your decades of nagging over Taiwan,
but we'll know better.
like the Tibetans and the Huyghurs before, you now want to oppress yet another nearby population.

that's called violent expansionism, and you force us to engage you with every intent of winning such armed conflicts.
OMG - now you are drooling false western hypocrite sentiments allover the place.
Your question was:

do the Chinese really have a territorial right to own Taiwan?​

And the answer is: according to the UN, both China's are represented solely via the PRC. - argument settled.

Last edited:
OMG - now you are drooling false western hypocrite sentiments allover the place.
Your question was:

do the Chinese really have a territorial right to own Taiwan?​

And the answer is: according to the UN, both China's are represented solely via the PRC. - argument settled.
just because the UN has bowed to Chinese pressure, doesn't mean the Taiwanese or their powerful allies have to.
and this is evident in how the US treats China in their domestic mass media.

China is Taiwan’s biggest trading partner. Current tensions are wholly drummed up by the US
well i'm glad to hear that China and Taiwan have peaceful economic relations too.

but from what i've seen so far, it's been China that's been doing the drum-rolling.
i mean, it wasn't the US that ordered *all* of China's aircraft carriers to encircle Taiwan this week, now was it??

i watched about 30 minutes of this, it's 2 hours long.
and it's pretty damning.
but so is Mao's cultural revolution, and the invasion of Tibet.

The Cultural Revolution led to millions dead, after which eco. reforms led to over 800 million lifted out of poverty.

Tibet was annexed.

Neither has anything to do with the docu.

The U.S. could “contain” China by growing the U.S. economy, creating high-wage jobs, and rebuilding America’s 4th world infrastructure.
Nah, that’s too much work!
Instead, let’s hold the largest military drill in China’s neighbourhood — in the Philippines. (US wants Phillipines to do the heavy lifting. Just like Ukraine)
War is wayyy more profitable.

i've changed my thinking on this issue tonight.

i used to think, that because the Island of Taiwan is so close to China, and the fact that the Taiwanese were dissidents against the Chinese Communist Party back in WW2, that China "had every right to claim that territory".

but tonight, 2 thoughts popped into my mind :
* the Taiwanese are also just Humans, and their hearts are Democratic. they wanted to keep living near China after WW2, so they retreated onto that Island and joined the Western alliance of Democratic countries.
* the Taiwanese form no military threat against China whatsoever, not as far as i can recall at least. prove me wrong, Chinese, if you want me to switch sides on this important issue again - your South China Sea naval fleet (and more) is potentially at stake here.

of course, Ukraine is on the international agenda this week, so i'll just patiently await the Chinese response to these arguments i raise here.

Forum List

Back