Do Americans live a wasteful life? What do Americans Politicians?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by 11secure, Jan 4, 2012.

1. 11secure

11secure Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everybody!

I hope you don't take my questions personally. I just want to receive some personal opinions, because I need it for my skilling work (subject: Environmental policy in the United States).

Anyways, I'm a german student, 12th grade and I've got a couple of questions I'd like to ask to you. I do not want to oblige you to answer them all, but it would be great if you do so. So here are my questions (hope you understand them all - if not, enquire me to explain them):

1) Do Americans live a wasteful life?
    2) What do Americans Politicians / the U.S. Government against the effects of climate change?
    3) Is Obama successful against climate change or has Nixon or Bush been more successful?
    4) What does the U.S. Government for encoraging (right expression?) the American population for (having?) more environmental consciousness?
    5) How important is environmental policy for the American society today? Did it change when Obama was elected?
    6) Why did the USA never ratify the Kyoto Protocol? What did the state do instead? What do you personally think; should the US ratify it and why?
    7) Why did the Obama's new environment law fail? Has there been anything against it?
    8) Does the United States have taxes against air pollution?
    9) How environmentally friendly are big U.S. brands? Are theses brands against the implementation of environmental laws / taxes and do they influence American politicians?
    10) What do you do personally for helping the nature?

If you can give me some trusted sources, stats for supporting your arguments etc. I would be very gratful! Thank you so much!!! I ♥ America!

Best regards from Germany
    11secure

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    The only climate change is from winter to summer and back. There isn't any other climate change.

I am under no oblitation to help the nature. It does quite well taking care of itself.

3. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    So far in the boonies, I'm not on google street vi
    Ratings:
    +6,131
    Ich bitte um Entschuldigung, ich bin seit 1988 nicht mehr in Deustschland gewesen.
    Ich koennte Mehr eklaren, ich muss aber weiter Arbeiten. Wenn moeglich werde ich mehr eklaren.

Schonen Tag noch!

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    Blind, deaf, dumb, and stupid to boot.

5. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Too sick for a cure

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +772
    As to this one, I would say Nixon, as pretty much all the big environmental acts came in his administration (including the one responsible for forming the EPA).

Your English is very good, by the way.

6. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Yes, Americans live wasteful lives, but it's not due to government regulations or lack thereof. People here have had things too easy for too long, and the waste is at the level of the individual. We generally have a throw-away mentality, and are happy to buy cheap chinese crap.

That being said,
    the measures that our government takes are unnecessary and not well-thought out. Global warming is a non-issue for me, because there's not enough concrete data to prove that it is anthropologic.

Environmental policy is useless. Individual responsibility is paramount.
    As for myself- I use recyclable bags for shopping- no plastic. Recycle alot of building materials by deconstructing the throwaways of others and using the raw materials myself. I compost and garden organically. I buy most of my clothing used, and many of my household appliances. I can jellies, relishes, pickles, etc, and use glass reusable jars. I butcher, vacuum-pack much of the meat that we consume, and I re-use the vacuum bags. This is just a couple of examples, and I am very "green"-minded, but it's certainly not due to government regulations, just personal opinion and conscience.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    11Secure, there is a concerted effort in the US to brand all the scientists as liars, and any that care for the environment as fools.

The issue of climate change has been politisized to the point that the GOP candidates are all denying that AGW exists.

Our present President can do little about it when Congress, and it's members, both Dems and Repubs are accepting millions of dollars in campaign funds from the polluters.

As far as climate change is concerned, we will see it, and you will see far more of it than I. We have handed you a world that is going to be much more hostile than the one I grew up in.

Wasteful? Some, but in electrical use, though per capita we double the use of Germany, we are behind most of the Polar Nations. The highest use nation, per capita, Iceland, gets only 20% of it's power from fossil fuels.

List of countries by electricity consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We rank #22 in oil use per capita. However, most of the nations ahead of us have much smaller populations than we do. So we remain the highest nation in total use of oil

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_con_percap-energy-oil-consumption-per-capita

We did not and never will ratify a Kyoto type agreement until it is already too late. The energy companies simply have too much political power here.

President Obama has had little influence on environemental policy as of yet. The opposition and money backing that opposition is simply too great. If he wins a second term, and regains control of the House and Senate with people that have yet to be purchased by the energy companies, he may be able to do something in his second term. Doubtful that it will happen.

8. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

9. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Sorry- there isn't enough concrete evidence to prove it's man-made. Not enough proof of causative correlation, because old fossil records show otherwise.

10. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    If you bothered to go to that site, it is the American Institute of Physics site, and clearly outlines that we do, indeed, have enough evidence to state that man is responsible for the increase in warming. Have had since John Tyndall did the first work on the absorption spectra in 1858, published in 1861.

Now would you care to cite some evidence for your claim that the fossil record shows otherwise? According to all the paleontological data that I have read, and that is a lot, just the opposite is true. When GHGs go up rapidly, climate changes rapidly, and life has problems. The P-T extinction is an example of that.