Digital SLR Advice

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I'm REALLY wanting to upgrade from my 'beater' camera.

The Canon 20D sure would fit the bill. The going rate for kits is about $1K. After doing a bit of research it's likely I could get a Rebel XT (350d) and have enough to get a better lens than what would come w/ the 20D.

So - find a used 20d with a Good lens, or find a new XT and buy a pretty decent lens? Is the 20D and the 'adequate?' lens which comes in the kit going to provide better over-all image quality and flexibility than would a XT w/ a better-than-"stock" (for lack of a better term) could do?

dmp said:

The Canon 20D sure would fit the bill. The going rate for kits is about $1K. After doing a bit of research it's likely I could get a Rebel XT (350d) and have enough to get a better lens than what would come w/ the 20D.

So - find a used 20d with a Good lens, or find a new XT and buy a pretty decent lens? Is the 20D and the 'adequate?' lens which comes in the kit going to provide better over-all image quality and flexibility than would a XT w/ a better-than-"stock" (for lack of a better term) could do?
Why a digital SLR? Printing a lot and need the pixels? Or getting very serious? I think many of the compact digitals now days are better than most the older film SLRs were. Okay, no lens to change with the compacts, but no bulk either, I can't justifiy the bucks.

My 2 cents.

dmp said:

What EF lenses do you already own? The 18-55 kit lens is OK when stopped down, but the 17-85 IS would be a much better choice in that focal range. Pair that with a 70-300 IS and you have basically the equivalent effective focal range of your S2 (27mm-480mm for this combo, 36mm - 432mm for your S2).

You're looking at ~$1600 for the 20D and 17-85 IS. Another $550 for the 70-300 IS. $2150 for the combo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...827&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...663&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

For ~$1100, you can get the 350D + 17-85 IS.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...876&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

$1650 for the 350D combo.

Read this comparison. If you can live with the shortcomings of the 350D, then save yourself some money.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Mr. P said:
Why a digital SLR? Printing a lot and need the pixels? Or getting very serious? I think many of the compact digitals now days are better than most the older film SLRs were. Okay, no lens to change with the compacts, but no bulk either, I can't justifiy the bucks.

My 2 cents.

There's a MUCH larger difference than just the ability to change lenses. Darin's S2, which is one of the nicest 'point and shoot' cameras that Canon makes, has some serious shortcomings.

Most of it is in the sensor itself. The photos Darin takes at ISO 100 have about as much noise (grain) as photos taken at ISO 400-800 with the 20D. The difference in image size between 5MP and 8.2MP is trivial until you get above 8X10" prints.

Other limitations include:

Fewer ISO settings. IIRC, the S2 has ISO 50/100/200/400. The 20D has 100/200/400/800/1600/3200.

The S2 maxes out at 1/4000s; the 20D 1/8000s.

The S2 uses menus and buttons to change ISO, f/stop, and shutter speed. The 20D uses dials, which are faster and more intuitive.

The S2 has considerable shutter and start up lag. The 20D starts up nearly instantaneously and has no perceptible shutter lag.

Etc, etc...

:)

But...for the record....my S2 is a SLR...and one can attach additional lenses.

:)

great points, Jon - thanks for the resources.

Forum List

Back