Did you choose your religious belief?

Did you choose your religious belief or lack of belief?

• Total voters
I mentioned the other day Id start a poll since there are some people who are claiming that we are all forced to believe and are brainwashed into whatever we think against our will.

So did you choose your religious belief (or non-belief)?

I think this is pretty much a yes/no type question. However, Im providing an "other" option. If you pick that just tell us why.

bTW for some reason this ended up in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it.

I'm basically a Jewish Buddhist.

I basically believe in a Higher Power, God for lack of a better term, and that the higher power is the only one you should believe in.

I also, from personal life experiences, have decided that Karma is real and I live my life accordingly.

I mentioned the other day Id start a poll since there are some people who are claiming that we are all forced to believe and are brainwashed into whatever we think against our will.

So did you choose your religious belief (or non-belief)?

I think this is pretty much a yes/no type question. However, Im providing an "other" option. If you pick that just tell us why.

bTW for some reason this ended up in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it.

I was raised early on in a Methodist church. At age 9 I entered into the most awesome relationship with God that can be imagined, however, that was not what I learned in the Methodist church. I never told anyone about my new relationship, but God and I had a fellowship that was sweet, and I came to want to know Him better. At that young age, I had no idea how to study the Bible, but I read it a lot. Somehow God seemed to teach me as I read.

I listened to preachers on the radio, and the Methodist preacher, and what other people were saying about God and church. I found myself looking at the Bible more to find out how I should believe in many issues that these people raised.

I wasn't really hooked with any church as a teenager. I went to several with friends, and then two of my best friends asked me to join their church so I could be in their yourh (scouting) program. That church was Mormon. I never really liked the church beliefs, to me they were wierd. When I moved away, and after much effort, I was able to get them to take me off their rolls. Don't get me wrong, I believe all of us can learn from the family teachings they have. They were wonderful people. I just had a problem with being baptized for the dead, and stuff like that.

While in the Military I joined the Southern Baptists. I found this to be closer to the teachings of the bible than any other church out there. None of the other religions even came close to attracting me. I am now 62 and I am a member of a Southern Baptist Church still. Gos has called me to teach Sunday school, and work with youth in that church and in the community. God has worked in amazing ways in that ministry.

In all of this time, the Bible has been my guide. I am a member of the Baptist church, but I am not guided by them. I do not agree with all they preach or teach. I do mostly aredd with their "Baptist Faith and Message."

Having studied in a Christian college, and attended a Christian Seminary, I have had a lot of connections with their teachings. Somehow, I have maintained my strong attraction to the Bible as the final Word on it. Because of that, I often teach contrary to what some Christians believe, but according to the Bible.

So, I chose my beliefs, and church memberships. The only thing I did not choose was that one day when I was 9 and God connected with me in a very real and meaningfull way. That relationship I accepted, and it has been my guide for over 50 yeard now. I can choose His way, or not, but I pray that I follow Him in all my ways. Proverbs 3:5-6

I put that i chose my religion. I was not raised in a church. When i was a kid i went to sunday school with my grandma sometimes (Baptist). But my parents didn't go to Church so i really didn't know alot about it. Not until i had a time where i needed help. For close to 40 yrs i never really thought about God one way or another. But when i needed Him, he was there! I was lost and started reading a Bible that had sat on our shelf forever! My life changed....
The reason i know this was of God, is because he was nothing to me before that! I have no other reason why i would pick up that Bible. He's changed my life.

Hello everyone,
I just registered on this site. I had to, was intrigued after I saw so many diverse and interesting comments from this board on my Google alerts. So this is my first time posting and religion is an issue close to my heart. Many a fight were fought over views and such and I was ever the one against the wall. These days I live and let live. I chose mine after I was baptized and raised a catholic, but eventually I left the church. So choose I did.

Born, Catholic.......mother turned us JW.....chose Lutheran in Jr. High, mom forced us to join LDS in HS, went inactive for years......but grew up and CHOSE to become LDS. :)

So far it looks like 90% of people have chosen what they believe or dont believe.

As for the other 10%

1/3 believes its not a yes/no question
1/3 believes you can't choose beliefs.
the final 1/3 is silent.

So tell me, was anyone here brainwashed?

I was brought up in an atheist family, even though, nobody ever talked to me about either atheism or any sort of religion. When I was a teenager, I felt some sort of urge to be part of some group (any group) and I started reading up on all sorts of religions. They all seemed so incredibly stupid that I decided to just drop the issue. Then I came up on some Buddhist teachings and so far, the only thing I believe in is Karma (a reduced, simplified version of it that is). It just plain makes sense to me without any dense mumbo-jumbo about immaculate conception and burning bush bullshit.

Howgh.

Inn response to the original question

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVEOyg_nRas"]YouTube - FORSAKEN by Divinity Destroyed[/ame]

I couldn't find a vid for the more fitting 'Empty the Sky'

One step from my horizon

I think, I dream, I wonder

My honor yearns for reason

I plant this seed of treason

"I, the sky

"I, the heavens

I declare my intentions"

Rain down

Bleed forever

Nothing is held from the dead

I'll rip down the stars, both hands

And wait for the sign, my final act

Die with the sun, burn cold

I'll empty the sky just to believe

Grown into full conception

I sow, I reap, I return

Dealing out retribution

Let truth be known through bloodshed

"I, the sky

"I, the heavens

I declare my intentions"

Weighed down

False endeavor

Truth revealed at my end

I'll rip down the stars, both hands

And what for the sign, my final act

Die with the sun, burn cold

I'll empty the sky just to believe

I will fall and thus the sky will follow

I will fall and thus the sky will follow

Last edited:
I didn't choose to be an atheist. My experiences and education convinced me that there is no conclusive or compelling evidence that a supreme being exists, and if a supreme being does exist, there's no real point in believing in it because it has hidden itself away so well, as though it doesn't want to be known. To chose not to believe would be like choosing to be who I am - it doesn't make sense I'm just who I am.

An example I used in another thread yesterday was this:

I don't choose to believe that people can't fly like Superman, I just simply don't believe because there is no compelling reason to believe it. Now, were someone to start flying around like Superman, I wouldn't choose to believe that people can fly, I just would believe it.

Yes I did. I was raised a Catholic and chose Agnosticism. Though I do find that the basic tenets of Christianity as tought to me in my formative years by the Catholic church tend to influence the way I live my life and how I treat others. Perhaps I am hedging my bets?

this is pretty much what i was going to say, and though i now consider myself agnostic i will take the last rites on my death bed just in case, what could it hurt?

I was raised Luthern and chose to ignore the teachings of the church. I felt it was rediculous when I hit my early teens. I prefered to SEE scientific proof instead of believe in some big mythical figure in the sky.

It became noticeable though that it seemed both sides needed a bit of a leap of faith to believe. We don't have a missing link between humans and monkeys. Most of the fossil records we claim to have are based off of a single bone or a partial skeleton. Look at the mistakes that the Romans and Greeks made from seeing an elephant skeleton, we got the myth of the cyclops.

It also became apparent that the ONLY way I could truely screw myself in life is by NOT believing in God. You believe in God you are living as a good person. You are taught that it is not your place to descriminate, to throw stones, to be the judge because that is the right of God alone. You love those around you and help your neighbors, your friends, and even those you hate when they need it. Open yourself up to love and being the best human being you can be.. yeah.. I don't see a single thing that is bad about this.

I We don't have a missing link between humans and monkeys.
People still buy that theist lie?

Most of the fossil records we claim to have are based off of a single bone or a partial skeleton.

More lies

It also became apparent that the ONLY way I could truely screw myself in life is by NOT believing in God.

Unless you belief in the wrong god

You believe in God you are living as a good person.

according to one standard

You are taught that it is not your place to descriminate, to throw stones,

Except when your god tells you to stone people... :eusa_whistle:

to be the judge because that is the right of God alone.

Unless you're made the judge as a reward for killing your family...levite...

You love those around you and help your neighbors, your friends, and even those you hate when they need it.

except when your savior says you must hate your family to be saved and your god commands you kill the unbelievers and take their land

You really have no idea how ignorant your post is, do you?

I was raised Southern Baptist in the Southern bible belt. I stayed with the Southern Baptist church for the biggest part of my life but about 10 years ago I found a liking for the Methodist church and as a result I joined up with that church. I just feel more comfortable with my beliefs there. I'm satisfied with the religious beliefs that I have. Who can tell about the future? Maybe at some point I will become a Catholic. I find something in just about all of the major religions that I can feel comfortable with. Like mixing ice cream, they all add a bit of flavor...

I We don't have a missing link between humans and monkeys.
People still buy that theist lie?

Most of the fossil records we claim to have are based off of a single bone or a partial skeleton.

More lies

Unless you belief in the wrong god

according to one standard

Except when your god tells you to stone people... :eusa_whistle:

to be the judge because that is the right of God alone.

Unless you're made the judge as a reward for killing your family...levite...

You love those around you and help your neighbors, your friends, and even those you hate when they need it.

except when your savior says you must hate your family to be saved and your god commands you kill the unbelievers and take their land

You really have no idea how ignorant your post is, do you?

Sweetheart.. most of those points are made in the Old Testemant. These are not the teachings of Christ. God had commanded the Hebrews to wipe out entire populations, every man, woman, child, goat, cow, sheep, everything, but since Christ died to take the sins of all onto himself you only have to believe in Jesus as your Savior, to live your life by the Commandments and to live as a good human being and you will be saved.

As for the missing link there isn't one. I have searched and searched and if you are talking about the lemur that is even a stretch because the ONLY reason they are calling that a missing link is because the thumb area on its FOOT has a similar bone structure to our own. NO other reason.. and those who NEED physical proof to believe in something are clinging to that little skeleton which honestly isn't that different from the skeletons of lemurs today. Link me a site that shows an honest full transition from ape to man and I will tell you that your insults towards me have merit.

There is NO reason for you to call me ignorant for believing in what Christ teaches. Because I choose to take that goodness to heart isn't a true reason for you to pick at me and make fun when you only choose to pick out small phrases rather than responding to my post as a whole.

Sweetheart.. most of those points are made in the Old Testemant.

God's law was imperfect and had to be thrown out>? The OT argues against jesus and shows him to be a false prophet.

As for the missing link there isn't one. I have searched and searched and if you are talking about the lemur that is even a stretch because the ONLY reason they are calling that a missing link is because the thumb area on its FOOT has a similar bone structure to our own. NO other reason..

and those who NEED physical proof to believe in something are clinging to that little skeleton which honestly isn't that different from the skeletons of lemurs today. Link me a site that shows an honest full transition from ape to man and I will tell you that your insults towards me have merit.

here, let me Google that for you

There is NO reason for you to call me ignorant for believing in what Christ teaches.

Other than your ignorance :rolleyes:

Sweetheart.. most of those points are made in the Old Testemant.

God's law was imperfect and had to be thrown out>? The OT argues against jesus and shows him to be a false prophet.

As for the missing link there isn't one. I have searched and searched and if you are talking about the lemur that is even a stretch because the ONLY reason they are calling that a missing link is because the thumb area on its FOOT has a similar bone structure to our own. NO other reason..

and those who NEED physical proof to believe in something are clinging to that little skeleton which honestly isn't that different from the skeletons of lemurs today. Link me a site that shows an honest full transition from ape to man and I will tell you that your insults towards me have merit.

here, let me Google that for you

There is NO reason for you to call me ignorant for believing in what Christ teaches.

Other than your ignorance :rolleyes:

List of human evolution fossils - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So.. as I said.. most of the fossils that people base their entire faith in evolution on are INCOMPLETE or FRACTIONS of a skull even. I am not on here arguing evolution versus creationism but rather responding to the original poster's poll as we were all asked to do. You have decided to attack me with proof that simply says what I said in the first place. How does that show my ignorance?

Forum List

Back