Did you choose your religious belief?

Did you choose your religious belief or lack of belief?

• Total voters
I mentioned the other day Id start a poll since there are some people who are claiming that we are all forced to believe and are brainwashed into whatever we think against our will.

So did you choose your religious belief (or non-belief)?

I think this is pretty much a yes/no type question. However, Im providing an "other" option. If you pick that just tell us why.

bTW for some reason this ended up in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it.

I think "brainwashing" is such an ugly word--only used to irk people(yeah, I used it before:eusa_shhh:). I would suggest "routinely taught and educated in the practices and behavior of a faith (or lack thereof)"

Yes, you could raise an Atheists. But in my opinion, I think if I were to raise a child, I would give him a taste of all religions and try to confer to him the pluses and minuses of religious faith and lack thereof. I think I will have to teach the concepts of survival first, since, from here, my son/daughter can appreciate why people band together.

Sweetheart.. most of those points are made in the Old Testemant.

God's law was imperfect and had to be thrown out>? The OT argues against jesus and shows him to be a false prophet.

here, let me Google that for you

There is NO reason for you to call me ignorant for believing in what Christ teaches.

Other than your ignorance :rolleyes:

List of human evolution fossils - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So.. as I said.. most of the fossils that people base their entire faith in evolution on are INCOMPLETE or FRACTIONS of a skull even. I am not on here arguing evolution versus creationism but rather responding to the original poster's poll as we were all asked to do. You have decided to attack me with proof that simply says what I said in the first place. How does that show my ignorance?

JB has a tendency to that to believers of God. It is like he is trying to evangelize Atheism or something.

When I think about it at times, I tend to believe there is a danger in converting people from one religion to the next or to Athiesm. If the person view of the universe of the world is different from mine, and they are basically a good natured civil human being, then I think it is a good idea to live them to their own devices.

Adding to this, I have a skeptic side to me--tend to think of my ability to hold truth as similiar to a mirror's ability to hold my face. My perspective is only an image of what I think/conclude is so.

I think people who are religious have chosen their religion. Whether or not they have made a rational and informed choice in another story.

Agnostics and atheists do not choose. They simply remain in a natural state till given reason to be otherwise.

"Natural state" - can you expand upon the concept of 'natural' state of agnostics and atheists? This should be interesting.
I think it's unnatural to believe in supernatural beings. It's something that must be taught. As in nature versus nurture. Of course some people become agnostic or atheist after having been raised in a religion or chosen one. When they do, they are regaining or gaining their sanity. :tongue:

I think people who are religious have chosen their religion. Whether or not they have made a rational and informed choice in another story.

Agnostics and atheists do not choose. They simply remain in a natural state till given reason to be otherwise.

"Natural state" - can you expand upon the concept of 'natural' state of agnostics and atheists? This should be interesting.

Nobody is born with a belief in deity; it is a learned thought. That is why religion is so intent on impressing it upon children.

I mentioned the other day Id start a poll since there are some people who are claiming that we are all forced to believe and are brainwashed into whatever we think against our will.

So did you choose your religious belief (or non-belief)?

I think this is pretty much a yes/no type question. However, Im providing an "other" option. If you pick that just tell us why.

bTW for some reason this ended up in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it.

That's like asking if you can choose....TRUTH. True religion is not chosen...it is constructed by faith. Thus the answer is Yes and NO....in secular methodology, our republic allows the FREEDOM of RELIGION, as per the 1st amendment, as every citizen has the freedom to choose how he wishes to worship God....or the freedom not to recognize religion at all. But if you where to make your poll less ambiguous and ask the question can YOU choose any faith and hope to attain the same goals..then the answer is unequivocally NO...one is not free to choose a faith....as it is God that chooses those that worship Him in a true fashion......The very word "church" in the original language means "called out"....thus the truth of the gospel calls out those from among the world who have faith in God. (Romans 10:17)

God indeed has made man in his own image (spiritual in nature), being created with the ability of REASON and LOGIC to direct his/her own destiny by FREE WILL. In that regard man is a FREE MORAL AGENT and has the divine permission to choose how he will. God uses no force whatsoever to compel any man to believe something or do something against his will. In this sense man has a right to what he will believe. But every man has placed before him right and wrong.....truth and error. If man wills to choose what is inherently wrong and that which is in error, he must suffer the consequences of that free will choice. Its simple.....if one chooses to jump from a ten story building....he must face the consequences of that errant decision...and that consequence is a natural law....GRAVITY. Thus, man does not have a right to his own belief being TRUE....he might be high and believe that God will make the Law of Gravity non-effective to him...but he will quickly realize the error of that wrong reasoning...as God has clearly informed us that He has no respect of person. If He suspends the Law of Gravity for the personal need of one.....he must do so for all, and that is just not going to happen, as those laws where placed for a specific reason....life itself would not be possible without those physical laws and their absolute constructs.

Thus NO ONE can simply believe what he wants and still be pleasing in the sight of God. As the Christ admonished everyone to "Worship in spirit and truth" -- John 4:24. If there is a TRUTH...there must be the inversion.....a lie. In simple language we are told where that truth lies, "Sanctify them through YOUR TRUTH (God's truth).......they word is truth." -- John 17:17. There is only one place where man can find PERFECTION (Absolute Truth)...that is in the word of God. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for INSTRUCTION IN RIGHTEOUSNESS;
That the man of God may be PERFECT, throughly furnished unto ALL GOOD WORKS." -- 2 Tim. 3:16-17

Last edited:

Nobody is born with a belief in deity; it is a learned thought. That is why religion is so intent on impressing it upon children.
I read that comment and then was amazed to see it was one of yours. I'd pos rep you but I don't bother to pos rep people who neg rep me.

You're an idiot if you don't choose Islam. You can buy pre-teen girls to do what you want with for the price of a couple of camels. Plus another 72 virgins when you die. It's a slam dunk.

Forum List

Back