Did Rick Scott just send a RACIST dogwhistle to our? ‘Ragtime liberals are stealing our election.'

centerleftFL

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2018
What the hell does this mean?

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that ‘ragtime liberals’ are stealing Florida Senate election

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
08 NOV 2018 AT 20:51 ET
ricky-800x430.jpg

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R). Image via screengrab.

Florida governor Rick Scott is launching a lawsuit based on the claim first floated by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) that Democrats are trying to “steal” the state’s election.

“No ragtime group of liberal activists or lawyers from DC will be allowed to steal this election from the voters in this great state,” Scott said in a press conference where he announced his voter fraud lawsuit against Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes for the county’s slow-going absentee ballot counting.

00:04 / 01:48
“Every Floridian should be concerned there may be rampant fraud happening in Palm Beach and Broward counties,” the governor and Senate candidate said.

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that 'ragtime liberals' are stealing Florida Senate election

I don't think "ragtime" is racial. "Ragtime" is just something an old dude would say. :lol:

I don't think "ragtime" is racial. "Ragtime" is just something an old dude would say. :lol:

"Ragtime"?

First time I've ever heard "ragtime" applied to politics but it's as interesting an expression as "monkey up".

"Ragtime" comes from the concept of "ragged time", referring to the syncopation inherent in the sensibilities of African musical rhythms. "Ragtime" piano, blues, jazz, evolving at the turn of the 19th>20th century very commonly moved an accent to an off-beat, in contrast with European music which (up to then) never deviated from the on-beat.

So yes it's definitely an African reference.

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that ‘ragtime liberals’ are stealing Florida Senate election

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
ricky-800x430.jpg

Florida governor Rick Scott is launching a lawsuit based on the claim first floated by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) that Democrats are trying to “steal” the state’s election.

“No ragtime group of liberal activists or lawyers from DC will be allowed to steal this election from the voters in this great state,” Scott said in a press conference where he announced his voter fraud lawsuit against Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes for the county’s slow-going absentee ballot counting.

“Every Floridian should be concerned there may be rampant fraud happening in Palm Beach and Broward counties,” the governor and Senate candidate said.

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that 'ragtime liberals' are stealing Florida Senate election
Well, for what it's worth, I think Scott is whistling past the graveyard with his 'conspiracy' blurb, but I don't think his reference to 'ragtime' is racist either. There is some blatant racism around, but not as much as charged. I don't like the idea that people jump at the chance to cry racism when there is questionable doubt. As I have said before, my old custom of saying..'not a Chinaman's chance' can be taken as racist, but was never meant to be so.

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
ricky-800x430.jpg

Well, for what it's worth, I think Scott is whistling past the graveyard with his 'conspiracy' blurb, but I don't think his reference to 'ragtime' is racist either. There is some blatant racism around, but not as much as charged. I don't like the idea that people jump at the chance to cry racism when there is questionable doubt. As I have said before, my old custom of saying..'not a Chinaman's chance' can be taken as racist, but was never meant to be so.

What could "ragtime" possibly mean if it's not a reference to race?

Is he commenting on drumming styles? Does Bill Nelson even play drums? :dunno:

Everything is a racial reference. That's how liberals think they will shut the opposition up.

Democrats absolutely intend to steal elections all across the country.

Everything is a racial reference. That's how liberals think they will shut the opposition up.

Go ahead and give the class some explanation of what ragtime can possibly mean that doesn't refer to race, specifically African.

We'll wait here.

"Ragtime"?

First time I've ever heard "ragtime" applied to politics but it's as interesting an expression as "monkey up".

"Ragtime" comes from the concept of "ragged time", referring to the syncopation inherent in the sensibilities of African musical rhythms. "Ragtime" piano, blues, jazz, evolving at the turn of the 19th>20th century very commonly moved an accent to an off-beat, in contrast with European music which (up to then) never deviated from the on-beat.

So he's saying that jazz enthusiasts swayed the election. It's a kinda weird claim, but I wouldn't call it racist. :dunno:

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
ricky-800x430.jpg

Ragtime definition, rhythm in which the accompaniment is strict two-four time and the melody, with improvised embellishments, is in steady syncopation.
Dictionary.com
Ragtime definition is - rhythm characterized by strong syncopation in the melody with a regularly accented accompaniment in stride-piano style. rhythm characterized by strong syncopation in the melody with a regularly accented accompaniment in stride-piano style.
MerriamWebster

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

They know what they're doing.

When they aren't using bullhorns, like the Trumpenfuhrer, they're using dog-whistles.

They aren't fooling anyone.

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
ricky-800x430.jpg

Pogo, I can only reference the old movie "Ragtime" that referenced a changing time in America, and changing mores too, around the turn of the 20th century. Part of that change included attitudes toward black people, but it was included in a whole range of change and innovations and a burst of invention. I never thought of 'Ragtime" as more significant to a race than to an era whose time had come.

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

They know what they're doing.

When they aren't using bullhorns, like the Trumpenfuhrer, they're using dog-whistles.

They aren't fooling anyone.

Let's say what he said was racist. I think you give them too much credit. Nobody in 2018 thinks they can make an obviously racist reference on camera, and get away with it. If he was being racist it's because he fucked up. Maybe he's just an idiot.

Go ahead and give the class some explanation of what ragtime can possibly mean that doesn't refer to race, specifically African.

We'll wait here.
Menstrual cycles, you know, the thing that's caused you PMS.

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
ricky-800x430.jpg

The Liberals make everything about race because they are Racist Cretins.

"Ragtime"?

So he's saying that jazz enthusiasts swayed the election. It's a kinda weird claim, but I wouldn't call it racist. :dunno:

Yeah it qualifies more as race-baiting. Like "monkey up". Although what it gains him at this point, eludes me. Unless I dunno maybe he wants to establish cred with his Klan element.

It's like Lee Atwater said --- "You start out in 1954 by saying, "******, ******, ******." By 1968 you can't say "******" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like "monkey up" and "ragtime" and all that stuff".

We'll wait here.
Menstrual cycles, you know, the thing that's caused you PMS.

Ragtime (rhythmic syncopation) has nothing to do with menstrual cycles. It's a rhythm which is by definition irregular.

Last edited:
Scott is of course lying – no one is trying to ‘steal’ an election, there is no ‘fraud.’

Given the razor thin vote margin, a recount is perfectly appropriate and warranted.

And Scott has once again demonstrated he’s unfit to hold any public office.

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
ricky-800x430.jpg

Pogo, I can only reference the old movie "Ragtime" that referenced a changing time in America, and changing mores too, around the turn of the 20th century. Part of that change included attitudes toward black people, but it was included in a whole range of change and innovations and a burst of invention. I never thought of 'Ragtime" as more significant to a race than to an era whose time had come.

I only know of the play (which I guess is the source of the movie) from reading about it but yes it seems to be about that race in that place in that time, as well as how ragtime (syncopation) crept into the American culture, through music. It's a direct statement of African sensibility, as any musician knows. You can see it sometimes if you watch a really old video of a music performance and notice a white audience doggedly clapping on the on-beat. We don't do that any more -- we shifted to the "two/four" rather than the "one/three". Scott Joplin and Fats Waller and Motown changed all that whether we noticed or not. I infer that's what the play/movie is about, that cultural sensibility shift, imported directly from Mother Africa.

I can't think of any kind of definition of "ragtime" that doesn't derive from that.

Forum List

Back