Did Rick Scott just send a RACIST dogwhistle to our? ‘Ragtime liberals are stealing our election.'

I don't think "ragtime" is racial. "Ragtime" is just something an old dude would say. :lol:

"Ragtime"?

First time I've ever heard "ragtime" applied to politics but it's as interesting an expression as "monkey up".

"Ragtime" comes from the concept of "ragged time", referring to the syncopation inherent in the sensibilities of African musical rhythms. "Ragtime" piano, blues, jazz, evolving at the turn of the 19th>20th century very commonly moved an accent to an off-beat, in contrast with European music which (up to then) never deviated from the on-beat.

So yes it's definitely an African reference.

So he's saying that jazz enthusiasts swayed the election. It's a kinda weird claim, but I wouldn't call it racist. :dunno:

Yeah it qualifies more as race-baiting. Like "monkey up". Although what it gains him at this point, eludes me. Unless I dunno maybe he wants to establish cred with his Klan element.

It's like Lee Atwater said --- "You start out in 1954 by saying, "******, ******, ******." By 1968 you can't say "******" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like "monkey up" and "ragtime" and all that stuff".

In fairness, "monkey up" is adorably racist.

I don't think "ragtime" is racial. "Ragtime" is just something an old dude would say. :lol:

"Ragtime"?

First time I've ever heard "ragtime" applied to politics but it's as interesting an expression as "monkey up".

"Ragtime" comes from the concept of "ragged time", referring to the syncopation inherent in the sensibilities of African musical rhythms. "Ragtime" piano, blues, jazz, evolving at the turn of the 19th>20th century very commonly moved an accent to an off-beat, in contrast with European music which (up to then) never deviated from the on-beat.

Exactly.

They know what they're doing.

When they aren't using bullhorns, like the Trumpenfuhrer, they're using dog-whistles.

They aren't fooling anyone.
What happens when this secret message is received by "the racists"? What purpose does it serve?

What the hell does this mean?

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that ‘ragtime liberals’ are stealing Florida Senate election

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
08 NOV 2018 AT 20:51 ET
ricky-800x430.jpg

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R). Image via screengrab.

Florida governor Rick Scott is launching a lawsuit based on the claim first floated by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) that Democrats are trying to “steal” the state’s election.

“No ragtime group of liberal activists or lawyers from DC will be allowed to steal this election from the voters in this great state,” Scott said in a press conference where he announced his voter fraud lawsuit against Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes for the county’s slow-going absentee ballot counting.

00:04 / 01:48
“Every Floridian should be concerned there may be rampant fraud happening in Palm Beach and Broward counties,” the governor and Senate candidate said.

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that 'ragtime liberals' are stealing Florida Senate election
Well, for what it's worth, I think Scott is whistling past the graveyard with his 'conspiracy' blurb, but I don't think his reference to 'ragtime' is racist either. There is some blatant racism around, but not as much as charged. I don't like the idea that people jump at the chance to cry racism when there is questionable doubt. As I have said before, my old custom of saying..'not a Chinaman's chance' can be taken as racist, but was never meant to be so.

What could "ragtime" possibly mean if it's not a reference to race?

Is he commenting on drumming styles? Does Bill Nelson even play drums? :dunno:

Ragtime definition, rhythm in which the accompaniment is strict two-four time and the melody, with improvised embellishments, is in steady syncopation.
Dictionary.com
Ragtime definition is - rhythm characterized by strong syncopation in the melody with a regularly accented accompaniment in stride-piano style. rhythm characterized by strong syncopation in the melody with a regularly accented accompaniment in stride-piano style.
MerriamWebster

Yes I know all that. I just laid it out didn't I.

One of my favourite examples is the old hit single "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes.

While Florence and Mary are singing the title line in the background, on the beat, Diana Ross is running off the beat with "Noooo, you just have to wait" which comes in before the beat. Then in the chorus they're all locked in on beat until Diana goes completely off the beat with "I can't bear to live my live alone...." (1:17) off beat, while the bass keeps on beat. Then she comes to the line "These precious words" (1:31) and it's once again locked together. Delicious contrast of two different rhythms, one locked, the other free.

Africa gave us that. It's why Jazz, the American Classical music, developed here. And that's what "ragtime" refers to -- ragged time, syncopation, African cultural sensibility.

Last edited:

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

When they aren't using bullhorns, like the Trumpenfuhrer, they're using dog-whistles.

What happens when this secret message is received by "the racists"? What purpose does it serve?

The same thing dog whistles usually do. They'll probably still shit on the rug.

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

Let's say what he said was racist. I think you give them too much credit. Nobody in 2018 thinks they can make an obviously racist reference on camera, and get away with it. If he was being racist it's because he fucked up. Maybe he's just an idiot.

Maybe he went to make a statement and just monkeyed it up. :lol:

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

Actually Democrat relentlessly calling people "racist" is the real dog whistle

Last edited:
Scott is of course lying – no one is trying to ‘steal’ an election, there is no ‘fraud.’

Given the razor thin vote margin, a recount is perfectly appropriate and warranted.

And Scott has once again demonstrated he’s unfit to hold any public office.

I think we should start calling him "Rick Scott Joplin". :)

"Ragtime"?
So he's saying that jazz enthusiasts swayed the election. It's a kinda weird claim, but I wouldn't call it racist. :dunno:

Could be McHeil's Navy reference to Little Havana of Miami votes imported from Cuba as in:
Democrats won the House, but Trump won the election
And that's how one Makes America Great Again, with some leftover 9/11 patriot act propaganda farce.

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

Actually Democrat relentlessly calling people "racist" is a the real dog whistle

Hey, it's Rick Scott's term.

Perhaps he's saying "Liberals are piano players". Yeah that must be it. :rolleyes:

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that ‘ragtime liberals’ are stealing Florida Senate election

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
ricky-800x430.jpg

Florida governor Rick Scott is launching a lawsuit based on the claim first floated by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) that Democrats are trying to “steal” the state’s election.

“No ragtime group of liberal activists or lawyers from DC will be allowed to steal this election from the voters in this great state,” Scott said in a press conference where he announced his voter fraud lawsuit against Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes for the county’s slow-going absentee ballot counting.

“Every Floridian should be concerned there may be rampant fraud happening in Palm Beach and Broward counties,” the governor and Senate candidate said.

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that 'ragtime liberals' are stealing Florida Senate election
"ragtime"?

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
ricky-800x430.jpg

Could it be that once again, the Left is refusing to accept the results of an election, and trying to commit fraud in order to steal it?! Gee, how fucking unusual!

Yeah, that’s why he ordered the evacuation of predominantly Black areas around the south end of Lake Okeechobee, along with buses to take people to shelters, before Irma, because he is racist.

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

Yeah, that’s why he ordered the evacuation of predominantly Black areas around the south end of Lake Okeechobee, along with buses to take people to shelters, before Irma, because he is racist.

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

This one guy once evacuated Poland using trains. Yeah. Rick Scott is exactly like Hitler.

Well whats that old saying...……"Youre not trying if youre not cheating!" ?? I'll give the DUMS that.....they are very proficient at it though its self-insertion of the bumpy cucumber politically.:113::113:

If you heard a racist dog whistle, that means you're a racist.

Only dogs hear dog whistles.

Well whats that old saying...……"Youre not trying if youre not cheating!" ?? I'll give the DUMS that.....they are very proficient at it though its self-insertion of the bumpy cucumber politically.:113::113:

And the evidence for the accusation is --------------------------------------- where again?

Seems to be as sparse as the hair on cueball Scott-Joplin's head.

"Ragtime"?

I don't understand the point of meticulously deconstructing the comment. Identity politics in this country is already bad enough without needing to be perpetually outraged.

Forum List

Back