Did Rick Scott just send a RACIST dogwhistle to our? ‘Ragtime liberals are stealing our election.'

I don't think "ragtime" is racial. "Ragtime" is just something an old dude would say. :lol:

"Ragtime"?

First time I've ever heard "ragtime" applied to politics but it's as interesting an expression as "monkey up".

"Ragtime" comes from the concept of "ragged time", referring to the syncopation inherent in the sensibilities of African musical rhythms. "Ragtime" piano, blues, jazz, evolving at the turn of the 19th>20th century very commonly moved an accent to an off-beat, in contrast with European music which (up to then) never deviated from the on-beat.

So yes it's definitely an African reference.

I don't understand the point of meticulously deconstructing the comment. Identity politics in this country is already bad enough without needing to be perpetually outraged.

I don't understand why he would come up with the term "ragtime" for any other reason. Ragtime has a specific derivation and meaning. Even more than "to monkey up".

The floor is still open for any other explanation for his conscious choice of the adjective. None has been attempted. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade, if you nomsayin'.

I don't think "ragtime" is racial. "Ragtime" is just something an old dude would say. :lol:

No, it's not. Ragtime is a musical form of syncopated rhythm. It's clear that the Leftwing Activists and Lawyers are all using the same sheet music.

"Ragtime"?

First time I've ever heard "ragtime" applied to politics but it's as interesting an expression as "monkey up".

"Ragtime" comes from the concept of "ragged time", referring to the syncopation inherent in the sensibilities of African musical rhythms. "Ragtime" piano, blues, jazz, evolving at the turn of the 19th>20th century very commonly moved an accent to an off-beat, in contrast with European music which (up to then) never deviated from the on-beat.

I don't understand the point of meticulously deconstructing the comment. Identity politics in this country is already bad enough without needing to be perpetually outraged.

I don't understand why he would come up with the term "ragtime" for any other reason.

The floor is still open for any other explanation. None has been attempted. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade, if you nomsayin'.

I suppose, but it doesn't seem important to me. If he's a racist, so be it. Harping over the term 'ragtime' seems a bit pedantic.

"Ragtime"?

I don't understand why he would come up with the term "ragtime" for any other reason.

The floor is still open for any other explanation. None has been attempted. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade, if you nomsayin'.

I suppose, but it doesn't seem important to me. If he's a racist, so be it. Harping over the term 'ragtime' seems a bit pedantic.

I wouldn't know if he's "racist". But I do know exactly what "ragtime" means. There's a distinct difference between being a "racist" and being a "race-baiter". The latter is appealing to the former; he need not be one of them himself. But he does need to be unprincipled enough to pander to it.

It would seem Rick Scott-Joplin knows what it means too. I'm just pointing it out. Again, if there exists any other explanation for his choice of adjective other than a racial reference ----- let's hear it.

Last edited:

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

They know what they're doing.

When they aren't using bullhorns, like the Trumpenfuhrer, they're using dog-whistles.

They aren't fooling anyone.

Obviously, they have you fooled. When you can find a "dog whistle" in about every third word that a conservative speaks, you are the one with the problem.

"Ragtime"?

Exactly.

They know what they're doing.

When they aren't using bullhorns, like the Trumpenfuhrer, they're using dog-whistles.

They aren't fooling anyone.

Obviously, they have you fooled. When you can find a "dog whistle" in about every third word that a conservative speaks, you are the one with the problem.

Feel free to go find us any description of ragtime that doesn't invoke Africa.

Be the first.

What the hell does this mean?

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that ‘ragtime liberals’ are stealing Florida Senate election

default.gif

NOOR AL-SIBAI
08 NOV 2018 AT 20:51 ET
ricky-800x430.jpg

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R). Image via screengrab.

Florida governor Rick Scott is launching a lawsuit based on the claim first floated by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) that Democrats are trying to “steal” the state’s election.

“No ragtime group of liberal activists or lawyers from DC will be allowed to steal this election from the voters in this great state,” Scott said in a press conference where he announced his voter fraud lawsuit against Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes for the county’s slow-going absentee ballot counting.

00:04 / 01:48
“Every Floridian should be concerned there may be rampant fraud happening in Palm Beach and Broward counties,” the governor and Senate candidate said.

Rick Scott launches voter fraud lawsuit based on conspiracy claim that 'ragtime liberals' are stealing Florida Senate election

No

If you heard a racist dog whistle, that means you're a racist.

Only dogs hear dog whistles.

Surely by "ragtime liberals" he must mean Liberals are very clean people. Always wiping up messes.
I didn't hear the whistle, so I wouldn't know.

You gotta listen for the off beat. :)
Not hearing it. What does it sound like?

I refer you back to post 23. Comes with music.

If you heard a racist dog whistle, that means you're a racist.

Only dogs hear dog whistles.

Surely by "ragtime liberals" he must mean Liberals are very clean people. Always wiping up messes.

Ah, well. I don't hear racist dog whistles. Only racists do.

And we've come full circle. :)

Not really. No one has yet explained why Rick Scott would invoke an Afrocentric term as an adjective for those he accuses (with zero evidence) of "stealing" the state's election.

Of course, the answer could simply be the simplest. It is what it looks like. Perhaps Rick Scott shaves his head with Occam's Razor.

As far as racists hearing this particular dog whistle, I tend to doubt they're knowledgeable enough. But that's not my purpose here; I'm just noting what his intention seems to be.

Not really. No one has yet explained why Rick Scott would invoke an Afrocentric term as an adjective for those he accuses (with zero evidence) of "stealing" the state's election.

Of course, the answer could simply be the simplest. It is what it looks like. Perhaps Rick Scott shaves his head with Occam's Razor.
You say because it's a racist dog whistle. I wouldn't know.

You got anything new or just want to keep saying the same things over and over again?

You got anything new or just want to keep saying the same things over and over again?

I have yet to bring up the term "racist dog whistle". You did that. Fatter o' mact it seems to be an obsession.

My focus has been on the term "ragtime".

You're welcome.

I have yet to bring up the term "racist dog whistle". You did that. Fatter o' mact it seems to be an obsession.

My focus has been on the term "ragtime".

You're welcome.
I brought it up as a response to the OP. You answered that you heard it. I don't.

You want to keep this going?

No, it's not. Ragtime is a musical form of syncopated rhythm. It's clear that the Leftwing Activists and Lawyers are all using the same sheet music.

It is indeed syncopation, with a specific racial association.
See post 4.
And 20.
And 23.

People who see RACISM in everything are RACISTS.

Anytime there's a close election, Dimocrats always find new votes. They should just cut to the chase and bring in some Chicago Dimocrats to show them how it's done.

Forum List

Back