Did Jesus really exist?

Did Jesus Really Exist as a Flesh and blood person?

• Jay-A-Zus was LORD!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you are a Christian, you believe that Jesus really did exist. If you are not a Christian, you do not believe in Jesus. Pretty simple.
Not true!

I for one believe that Jesus of Nazareth existed, I just don't believe that he was God Himself in Monkey Flesh.

the Christian religion for the last 1800 years has said that those who do not believe Jesus was God are not Christians.....

Here's a greate example of why I think the Jesus Story is bunk.

The Massacre of the Innocents. - In the Gospel of Matthew, King Herod, outraged that the Wise men (Number never specified) tricked him by not telling him where the Messiah was, ordered his soldiers to kill all the baby boys. Some apologists have said this was just in Bethlehem, Joseph and Mary Flee to Egypt. Herod dies. Joseph settles in Galilee.

Now- No other Gospel mentioned this event. Luke comes up with a completely different plot device to get Jesus into Bethlehem to be born. (A census that history doesn't record and would put Jesus birth 10 years later than Matthew).

Also, Herod ordering the massacre of babies would have been a pretty horrific event. Someone like Philo or Josephus would have recorded it.

Finally, in the Department of Holy Plagiarism, this sounds exactly like the story of all the babies that were killed when Moses was born back in Exodus.

The story of George Washington cutting down the cherry tree is bunk. The story of him throwing the dollar across the Potomac is bunk. Does that mean he never existed? Lots of myths build up around people, that doesn't mean they weren't real.

Yeah only the myths that popped up around Washington were concerning things he did during his life. If Joeb131 had been questioning things Jesus was said to have done in his life then yours would be a fair comparison but the parts about Jesus' story that come into question are the parts before he was even born. His story starts to fall apart before it ever even really gets started.

The story of George Washington cutting down the cherry tree is bunk. The story of him throwing the dollar across the Potomac is bunk. Does that mean he never existed? Lots of myths build up around people, that doesn't mean they weren't real.

Washington's existence can otherwise be attested to.

the Cherry Story does not include elements that are completely implausible like a star pointing out where a specific house was, or angels.

And I didn't even start talking about the Zombies yet.

If you are a Christian, you believe that Jesus really did exist. If you are not a Christian, you do not believe in Jesus. Pretty simple.

I'm not Christian, I'm quite anti-Christian in fact (for co-opting my religion's holy book and pasting it onto their's) yet believe Jesus existed. Don't believe the particulars, but I don't doubt the man existed and was a rabble-rouser. :)

So, should that make me anti-Jew, because the Jews never followed the orders that God gave them?

Your reasoning on this fails Delta, regardless of if anyone believes in Jesus or not, if not for Christians, the Jews would no longer exist. I bet that must get under your skin, huh?
Huh? Please explain what Chiristainity has to do with the existence of Jews.

I believe Jesus was an apocalyptic Jew, probably a follower of John the Baptist until he was killed, who ran afoul of the theocracy of Israel. Probably because he preached about the coming end of time where God's judgement would be visited upon Israel's enemies, to include some of the Jewish priests he preached against. They convinced the Roman authorities that he was dangerous and he was crucified. His tiny group of followers believed he was the long-awaited messiah and spread his story throughout the Jewish-Roman world. They added to the story of Jesus but they failed to convince a significant number of Jews. Paul and his group brought the story of Jesus to gentiles and the rest is history. IMHO

Not true!

I for one believe that Jesus of Nazareth existed, I just don't believe that he was God Himself in Monkey Flesh.

the Christian religion for the last 1800 years has said that those who do not believe Jesus was God are not Christians.....

I believe it goes back way further than that, off and on... but yeah - to the best of my understanding, Christianity lives and dies on the concept of God Himself taking on flesh, dwelling among us, dying, and then walking out of His tomb under His own steam.

There was a time I bought that line through the hook and all the way up to the sinker. :eusa_doh:

because TNT is so filled with holdovers from Greek Mythology.
got any documentation of that absurd claim?.....
Are you kidding?
Demons, withering hands, Satan.
In fact, are you fucking kidding?
yes....I was kidding...l knew you would not be able to document it so when I asked for documentation, it was a joke.....

I'll do it. But, I need a day off so that I can pull my stuff out. It would have more than mythos. Although, I'm not going to war with you. I simply find that aspect fascinating.

Are you kidding?
yes....I was kidding...l knew you would not be able to document it so when I asked for documentation, it was a joke.....

I'll do it. But, I need a day off so that I can pull my stuff out. It would have more than mythos. Although, I'm not going to war with you. I simply find that aspect fascinating.
do me a favor and come up with something new....I'm tired of repeating why Dionyses did not have a virgin birth.....

Here's a greate example of why I think the Jesus Story is bunk.

The Massacre of the Innocents. - In the Gospel of Matthew, King Herod, outraged that the Wise men (Number never specified) tricked him by not telling him where the Messiah was, ordered his soldiers to kill all the baby boys. Some apologists have said this was just in Bethlehem, Joseph and Mary Flee to Egypt. Herod dies. Joseph settles in Galilee.

Now- No other Gospel mentioned this event. Luke comes up with a completely different plot device to get Jesus into Bethlehem to be born. (A census that history doesn't record and would put Jesus birth 10 years later than Matthew).

Also, Herod ordering the massacre of babies would have been a pretty horrific event. Someone like Philo or Josephus would have recorded it.

Finally, in the Department of Holy Plagiarism, this sounds exactly like the story of all the babies that were killed when Moses was born back in Exodus.

It's interesting to note that as mankind progressed in the process of scientific investigation, the occurrence of biblical "miracles" decreased concurrently.

Maybe the gods retired from the "miracle" business? Or, maybe "miracles" of the bibles were not miracles at all.

Are you kidding?

do me a favor and come up with something new....I'm tired of repeating why Dionyses did not have a virgin birth.....
Because it's a fable. As are all fables of magical impregnation.

Are you kidding?

you are a veritable fount of unproveable scientific knowledge.....

Are you kidding?

As pointless as usual.

Provide one, single, verifiable example of impregnation by supernatural means. Just one. Come on. Thrill us.

You are are veritable fountain of unproven, unsubstantiated, gainsay "... because I say so", bluster.

Are you kidding?

As pointless as usual.

Provide one, single, verifiable example of impregnation by supernatural means. Just one. Come on. Thrill us.

You are are veritable fountain of unproven, unsubstantiated, gainsay "... because I say so", bluster.
child, I believe in the virgin birth of Christ......the odd thing is that you believe in the virgin birth of a multitude of others, despite the fact of their own biographies deny it......

Are you kidding?

As pointless as usual.

Provide one, single, verifiable .shred of evidence. Just one. Come on. Thrill us.

child, I believe in the virgin birth of Christ......the odd thing is that you believe in the virgin birth of a multitude of others, despite the fact of their own biographies deny it......
You're perpetually confused. I've written out that impregnation by magic and supernatural means derive from tales and fables.

I noted that you cannot provide
Are you kidding?

As pointless as usual.

You're perpetually confused. I've already written, (with regard to impregnation by magical/supernatural means): Because it's a fable. As are all fables of magical impregnation.

You can believe whatever you like. I required that you provide verification of impregnation by magic/supernatural means.

You're perpetually confused. I've written out that impregnation by magic and supernatural means derive from tales and fables.

???....can something no longer be questioned once you've "written it out"?....

Everything can and should be questioned. And that's the whole point. I question that your messiah even exists and so I resist the notion that I should live my life with him as my example and standard.

On another thread, I made the statement that Jesus was a made up character.

Here's why I think he was.

1) The Gospels were written years after his supposed life, and they contradict each other on key points.

2) He is not mentioned by a lot of contemporary writers who should have noticed him.

3) He shares a lot of traits with other mythological figures.
Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The historicity of Jesus is distinct from the related study of the historical Jesus, which, according to James Dunn, "is properly speaking a nineteenth- and twentieth-century construction using the data supplied by the Synoptic tradition, not Jesus back then," (the Jesus of Nazareth who walked the hills of Galilee), "and not a figure in history whom we can realistically use to critique the portrayal of Jesus in the Synoptic tradition."[3][4] These reconstructions accept that Jesus existed, although scholars differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the parts of his life that have been recorded in the Gospels.[5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][12]

the Romans kept records on his trial and execution

Forum List

Back