Movies or TV Shows that inspire you to be more religious

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Referencing "Dogma" just now, remembering how it always makes me feel more goody-goody (own the DVD heh) thought a truly pro-religious thread was overdue.

"Dogma" despite irking the Catholics who boycotted it (and made it thus much more successful heh) is one of the movies where I find myself wishing God was real. Some of the scenes still tear me up like when "Bethany" has her meltdown and runs off then shouting and cussing at God it suddenly breaks to Metatron standing on the water "He can't hear you you know..." That was a really great scene.

"Babylon 5" which I'm rewatching from start to finish (also on DVD) came out around the same time "Star Trek: The Next Generation" did. But despite more primitive computer graphics, and a first season filled with campy dialogue, by season 2 it got MUCH better. Also compared to Star Trek's entire mythology is FAR more spiritual and overtly religious. Would imagine though some religious people would find it obectionable because of the Vorlons...But no spoilers. If viewed looking beyond such things for the actual lessons being imparted it rocks.

"The Seventh Sign" was a good movie. Great line at the end, "Remember it all. Write it down. Tell it." or something like that. Ironic...:)

Was an animated "Dante's Inferno" that was scary as hell. :)

And though not either movie or tv show, oddly enough the Dungeons & Dragons "Dragonlance" series of books remains my all-time favorite for it's heavy dose of religion. Includes my favorite reliigous analogy in fact,

""You speak of him in the past tense," Tanis said. "He isn't dead yet."

"No, but it won't be long." Maritta wiped away a tear. "I've seen the wasting sickness before. My own father died of it. There's something inside of him, eating him alive. These last few days he has been half-mad with the pain, but that's gone now. The end is very near."

"Maybe not." Tanis smiled. "Goldmoon is a cleric. She can heal him."

"Perhaps, perhaps not," Maritta said skeptically. "I wouldn't want to chance it. We shouldn't excite Elistan with false hope. Let him die in peace."

"Goldmoon," Tanis said as the Chieftain's Daughter came near. "This man wants to meet you." Ignoring Maritta, the half-elf led Goldmoon over to Elistan. Goldmoon's face, hard and cold with disappointment and frustration, softened as she saw the man's pitiful condition.

Elistan looked up at her. "Young woman," he said sternly, though his voice was weak, "you claim to bring word from ancient gods. If it truly was we humans who turned from them, not the gods who turned from us as we've always thought, then why have they waited so long to make their presence known?"

Goldmoon knelt down beside the dying man in silence, thinking how to phrase her answer. Finally she said, "Imagine you are walking through a wood, carrying your most precious possession-a rare and beautiful gem. Suddenly you are attacked by a vicious beast. You drop the gem and run away. When you realize the gem is lost, you are afraid to go back into the woods and search for it. Then someone comes along with another gem. Deep in your heart, you know it is not as valuable as the one you lost, but you are still too frightened to go back to look for the other. Now, does this mean the gem has left the forest, or is it still lying there, shining brightly beneath the leaves, waiting for you to return?"

Elistan closed his eyes, sighing, his face filled with anguish. "Of course, the gem waits for our return. What fools we have been! I wish I had time to learn of your gods," he said, reaching out his hand.

Goldmoon caught her breath, her face drained until she was nearly as pale as the dying man on the cot. "You will be given time," she said softly, taking his hand in hers."
Dragons of Autumn Twilight - RuLIT.Net - 96

Thought about that one myself, but while I dig the Jedi and all that, wanted to keep it to 5. Aesthetically pleasing 'round' number. :)

Life of Pi (the beauty of the story of the Old Testament character Job)

Cool Hand Luke (there's a very Christlike character in the film, in case you haven't noticed)

Scent of a Woman (another very Christlike character in this film)

The Green Mile (though I've little doubt that the story's author Stephen King means for it to be interpreted this way: I see it as a story about the power of God's love, and the tragedy of the inevitability of suffering because of it)

Schindler's List (what can happen when so-called "Christians" don't truly understand The Scriptures)

The Pianist (ditto Schindler's List)

The Devil's Arithmetic (another film about The Holocaust)

The Purge (an entertaining interpretation of the Old Testament story of Sodom and Gomorrah)

The Day After (we're all going to DIE!!! :ack-1:)

And obviously, because I'm a believer (I won't say Christian, because I'm not a very good one; just a believer is all): The Passion of the Christ.

This is an awesome thread idea, by the way. :thup:

Referencing "Dogma" just now, remembering how it always makes me feel more goody-goody (own the DVD heh) thought a truly pro-religious thread was overdue.

"Dogma" despite irking the Catholics who boycotted it (and made it thus much more successful heh) is one of the movies where I find myself wishing God was real. Some of the scenes still tear me up like when "Bethany" has her meltdown and runs off then shouting and cussing at God it suddenly breaks to Metatron standing on the water "He can't hear you you know..." That was a really great scene.

"Babylon 5" which I'm rewatching from start to finish (also on DVD) came out around the same time "Star Trek: The Next Generation" did. But despite more primitive computer graphics, and a first season filled with campy dialogue, by season 2 it got MUCH better. Also compared to Star Trek's entire mythology is FAR more spiritual and overtly religious. Would imagine though some religious people would find it obectionable because of the Vorlons...But no spoilers. If viewed looking beyond such things for the actual lessons being imparted it rocks.

"The Seventh Sign" was a good movie. Great line at the end, "Remember it all. Write it down. Tell it." or something like that. Ironic...:)

Was an animated "Dante's Inferno" that was scary as hell. :)

And though not either movie or tv show, oddly enough the Dungeons & Dragons "Dragonlance" series of books remains my all-time favorite for it's heavy dose of religion. Includes my favorite reliigous analogy in fact,

""You speak of him in the past tense," Tanis said. "He isn't dead yet."

"No, but it won't be long." Maritta wiped away a tear. "I've seen the wasting sickness before. My own father died of it. There's something inside of him, eating him alive. These last few days he has been half-mad with the pain, but that's gone now. The end is very near."

"Maybe not." Tanis smiled. "Goldmoon is a cleric. She can heal him."

"Perhaps, perhaps not," Maritta said skeptically. "I wouldn't want to chance it. We shouldn't excite Elistan with false hope. Let him die in peace."

"Goldmoon," Tanis said as the Chieftain's Daughter came near. "This man wants to meet you." Ignoring Maritta, the half-elf led Goldmoon over to Elistan. Goldmoon's face, hard and cold with disappointment and frustration, softened as she saw the man's pitiful condition.

Elistan looked up at her. "Young woman," he said sternly, though his voice was weak, "you claim to bring word from ancient gods. If it truly was we humans who turned from them, not the gods who turned from us as we've always thought, then why have they waited so long to make their presence known?"

Goldmoon knelt down beside the dying man in silence, thinking how to phrase her answer. Finally she said, "Imagine you are walking through a wood, carrying your most precious possession-a rare and beautiful gem. Suddenly you are attacked by a vicious beast. You drop the gem and run away. When you realize the gem is lost, you are afraid to go back into the woods and search for it. Then someone comes along with another gem. Deep in your heart, you know it is not as valuable as the one you lost, but you are still too frightened to go back to look for the other. Now, does this mean the gem has left the forest, or is it still lying there, shining brightly beneath the leaves, waiting for you to return?"

Elistan closed his eyes, sighing, his face filled with anguish. "Of course, the gem waits for our return. What fools we have been! I wish I had time to learn of your gods," he said, reaching out his hand.

Goldmoon caught her breath, her face drained until she was nearly as pale as the dying man on the cot. "You will be given time," she said softly, taking his hand in hers."
Dragons of Autumn Twilight - RuLIT.Net - 96

I do love Dogma. That's actually my favorite potrayal of God. Alanis Morissette just brings a kind of elegance to it that I haven't seen matched before or since. More is really less when it comes to portraying God and her performance really exemplifies that.

Life of Pi (the beauty of the story of the Old Testament character Job)

Cool Hand Luke (there's a very Christlike character in the film, in case you haven't noticed)

Scent of a Woman (another very Christlike character in this film)

The Green Mile (though I've little doubt that the story's author Stephen King means for it to be interpreted this way: I see it as a story about the power of God's love, and the tragedy of the inevitability of suffering because of it)

Schindler's List (what can happen when so-called "Christians" don't truly understand The Scriptures)

The Pianist (ditto Schindler's List)

The Devil's Arithmetic (another film about The Holocaust)

The Purge (an entertaining interpretation of the Old Testament story of Sodom and Gomorrah)

The Day After (we're all going to DIE!!! :ack-1:)

And obviously, because I'm a believer (I won't say Christian, because I'm not a very good one; just a believer is all): The Passion of the Christ.

This is an awesome thread idea, by the way. :thup:

"The Day After" was unrealistic. Wanna watch a movie to reaffirm why nuclear weapons are unsuitable for warfare check out BBC's "Threads."

Was a good episode (a few actually) of "Star Trek: TNG" where an alien's being hunted by his own people as he transforms to a higher evolved form where by the end of the episode he can heal. Saves the entire ship and crew en masse'. Thought the Messianic metaphor was screaming. :)

"The Order" was good for a more religious fiction sorta thing. Always like the 'priests with holy powers' ones best. Why I liked Everquest so much and played a cleric for 5 years. :)

What I notice and don't like though with movies with a overt religious element is while they're perfectly okay showing demons and even the Devil, they almost never show an angel or God and when they do it's only indirectly or via some kind of metaphor. Used to think it was just to avoid upsetting the Muslims, but watching older movies as I do, it's been like that all along. Speaking of which, great "Twilight Zone" episode "The Howling Man."

Forum List

Back