Dictionary banned from school

Don't be a fucking pervert. You don't talk to 5 year old's about oral sex.

If your 5 year old is looking it up in the dictionary, it is time to talk

No it isn't. First most 5 year old's cannot read and comprehend such language. They might know the words cat and dog. Second instead of being a fucking pervert you say "look a squirrel" and they forget all about it.

My son was able to read anything by 5.

Current Events : Discussions : Definition of 'oral sex' gets dictionary pulled from schools -- Mom to Mom Forums Jersey Shore MomsLikeMe.com

ASSOCIATED PRESS: A Southern California school district has pulled dictionaries from classrooms because a parent complained when a child came across the term "oral sex."

District officials said Friday that the Menifee Union School District—which serves 9,000 kindergartners through eight graders in Riverside County—is forming a committee to consider a permanent classroom ban of the Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.

A memo from Assistant Superintendent Karen Valdes acknowledged it is a respected resource but district officials found that "a number of referenced words are age-inappropriate."

School officials will review the dictionary to decide if it should be permanently banned because of the "sexually graphic" entry, district spokeswoman Betti Cadmus told The Press-Enterprise. "It's just not age appropriate.''

That dictionary is not appropriate for children. Possibly in high school its cool, if the PTA agrees in the schools, but prior to that I dont think its appropriate for public schoolrooms.

On its face i do not disagree with this school doing what it did.

Current Events : Discussions : Definition of 'oral sex' gets dictionary pulled from schools -- Mom to Mom Forums Jersey Shore MomsLikeMe.com

ASSOCIATED PRESS: A Southern California school district has pulled dictionaries from classrooms because a parent complained when a child came across the term "oral sex."

District officials said Friday that the Menifee Union School District—which serves 9,000 kindergartners through eight graders in Riverside County—is forming a committee to consider a permanent classroom ban of the Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.

A memo from Assistant Superintendent Karen Valdes acknowledged it is a respected resource but district officials found that "a number of referenced words are age-inappropriate."

School officials will review the dictionary to decide if it should be permanently banned because of the "sexually graphic" entry, district spokeswoman Betti Cadmus told The Press-Enterprise. "It's just not age appropriate.''

That dictionary is not appropriate for children. Possibly in high school its cool, if the PTA agrees in the schools, but prior to that I dont think its appropriate for public schoolrooms.

God forbid the kids discover "Google"

God forbid the kids discover "Google"

God forbid parents monitor their children's online activity and get to decide when their children learn of such things :eusa_whistle:

When I was 7 my two best friends, one a boy and one a girl, spent hours in the library poring over anatomy books because we thought it was thrilling to look at picutures of naked adults (sans skin, of course).

I'm not sure exaclty why oral sex needs to be in the dictionary. I mean oral is in there, and sex, so why on earth do we need to include PHRASES as well as words?

Other than that, put the dicitionary up with the other books that kids get to look at but not check out, and monitor them while they're using them. If they're drawing pictures and giggling, it's probably time to look over their shoulders.

When I was 7 my two best friends, one a boy and one a girl, spent hours in the library poring over anatomy books because we thought it was thrilling to look at picutures of naked adults (sans skin, of course).

I'm not sure exaclty why oral sex needs to be in the dictionary. I mean oral is in there, and sex, so why on earth do we need to include PHRASES as well as words?

Other than that, put the dicitionary up with the other books that kids get to look at but not check out, and monitor them while they're using them. If they're drawing pictures and giggling, it's probably time to look over their shoulders.

common sense is awesome isn't it?
:D

So one inappropriate dictionary was removed from the school. How is using age appropriate dictionaries going to stunt the learning of a young child?

It won't. In fact, a kid who never learns the meaning of the term "oral sex" until he's 30 probably isn't going to suffer any long-term damage, or have a lesser i.q. than the kid who does learn it.

fear of knowledge is a terrible thing.

So many people have no idea how to talk to their children about difficult subjects. They then think keeping their children stupid is the answer to their inability.

Don't be a fucking pervert. You don't talk to 5 year old's about oral sex.

If your 5 year old is looking it up in the dictionary, it is time to talk

Can 5 year olds even read that well???

Forum List

Back