Dictionary banned from school

Kids these days have just too much information from just too many places.

My kids (15 & 12) are more aware of more things at their age than i was 20 years older.

I agree with that. Tvs, cell phones, and the internet in their bedrooms . . . the whole world is there for their seeing and, imo, they are not ready for the whole world at that age. Too much, too soon.

We're the oddball parents who won't let our kids have a tv or computer in their room, who use the parental control options provided by Comcast, who look up books and movies before just randomly saying 'oh, it's PG-13, it's fine', and who refuse to let their kids get a cell phone until they can get a job and pay for it. I know, we're whack.

Real parents like you kick ass and are who make our future bright.

Sometimes, as much as it makes you feel bad inside, you have to say NO to the children. I think the word NO got lost somewhere in the last 50 years and the lack of saying it is what causes a lot of problems with children today.

My youngest, 13 next Tuesday, is in 7th grade. Last year she was honor roll and the first semester this year, of 7th grade, . . . she was failing four classes. Not because she didn't understand the material, not because it was over her head but because she decided to play 'dumb' like some her friends. Uh . . . no. Can you say hammer time? TV and computer - gone until the grades were passing, computer gone until grades improved. Total time without computer? Around 6 weeks. Also in constant contact with the four teachers whose classes she was failing and she knew that on both ends (here and at school) she wasn't about to get away with anything. 2nd quarter ends tomorrow. Passing everything 3 or 4 classes in the 80's; the rest 90 to 100, homework gets done, and you can see she is proud of her work.

I agree that many parents today don't utilize the power of 'no' often enough. My youngest has said 'I hate you' more than once to me. My reply? 'That's ok, I'm not here to be liked I'm here to do my job'. I'm such a pain in the ass! :lol:

Verry good.

Some people in the thread have quite an odd view towards small children.

There is nothing 'prudish' with letting kids be kids, they don't need to know such things at such an age.

If they want to do that to their own kids, nobody is preventing them, but limit it to that, do it to your own kids, not yours or mine unless we agree.
It's a freakin entry in a dictionary dude.

Not many kinderkids are plowing through dictionaries.

The ONE parent that made the objection - her kid was 11.

You really think Miraim Webster in a classroom is going to pervert kids or something?
What part of do what you want to your kids and not mine escapes you my dear?

Sorry, i'm a big believer in letting kids be kids and I won't be changing anytime soon.

And I didn't say destroy the books, just remove them fromaccess to minors.

If your kids are curious they can ask you about it, is that not so?
Should dictionaries with the word "sex" in it be banned in your kids school too?

Sorry, i'm a big believer in letting kids be kids and I won't be changing anytime soon.

1. anything a kid wants to look up, they can look up online if its in the dictionary.

2. do you really want to keep dictionaries away from kids? really?

This is a DICTIONARY... not a how to manual.

1. anything a kid wants to look up, they can look up online if its in the dictionary.

2. do you really want to keep dictionaries away from kids? really?

This is a DICTIONARY... not a how to manual.
What you do at home is your business, school is another matter.

Thats basically what RAVI said earlier and I agreed with her and you on this one.
Verry good.

Some people in the thread have quite an odd view towards small children.

There is nothing 'prudish' with letting kids be kids, they don't need to know such things at such an age.

If they want to do that to their own kids, nobody is preventing them, but limit it to that, do it to your own kids, not yours or mine unless we agree.
It's a freakin entry in a dictionary dude.

Not many kinderkids are plowing through dictionaries.

The ONE parent that made the objection - her kid was 11.

You really think Miraim Webster in a classroom is going to pervert kids or something?

Actually I used to when I was very young. But i was also a nerd all throughout school so whatever.

My dad had a GIANT 1970's dictionary in his office I used to read through. It was my first exposure to the dreaded N word too...yeah it was in there and their definition was "Ignorant person".

Its not that it will pervert kids its that it is in a public school. Parents should not have their right to choose when to educate their children on adult topics like that taken away from them.

I agree with that. Tvs, cell phones, and the internet in their bedrooms . . . the whole world is there for their seeing and, imo, they are not ready for the whole world at that age. Too much, too soon.

We're the oddball parents who won't let our kids have a tv or computer in their room, who use the parental control options provided by Comcast, who look up books and movies before just randomly saying 'oh, it's PG-13, it's fine', and who refuse to let their kids get a cell phone until they can get a job and pay for it. I know, we're whack.

Real parents like you kick ass and are who make our future bright.

Sometimes, as much as it makes you feel bad inside, you have to say NO to the children. I think the word NO got lost somewhere in the last 50 years and the lack of saying it is what causes a lot of problems with children today.

My youngest, 13 next Tuesday, is in 7th grade. Last year she was honor roll and the first semester this year, of 7th grade, . . . she was failing four classes. Not because she didn't understand the material, not because it was over her head but because she decided to play 'dumb' like some her friends. Uh . . . no. Can you say hammer time? TV and computer - gone until the grades were passing, computer gone until grades improved. Total time without computer? Around 6 weeks. Also in constant contact with the four teachers whose classes she was failing and she knew that on both ends (here and at school) she wasn't about to get away with anything. 2nd quarter ends tomorrow. Passing everything 3 or 4 classes in the 80's; the rest 90 to 100, homework gets done, and you can see she is proud of her work.

I agree that many parents today don't utilize the power of 'no' often enough. My youngest has said 'I hate you' more than once to me. My reply? 'That's ok, I'm not here to be liked I'm here to do my job'. I'm such a pain in the ass! :lol:

You sound like my dad :eek:

Congrats on getting her to straighten out :cool:

I was always "the smart one" in my group of friends. They used to ride me pretty hard about getting good grades but my parents approval was way more important to me than my friends approval so I dealt with the crap and kept getting my grades.

When your kids are 25+ they will appreciate you being "the jerk" today....i know I do.

I've changed my mind.
We have too many words in the dictionary anyway. For example, why have so many words for how good or bad things are, when we could just say "plusgood" and "doubleplusungood." You know?

Are we really getting people advocating getting rid of dictionaries from school?

Really?

No one advocated getting rid of dictionaries that I read so far. It seems people want to make the words in the dictionary age appropriate is all.

The claim by some in this thread that people are advocating getting rid of the dictionary is one of these (appropriately on a dictionary :D)

red_herring.jpg

What's ironic about this story is that now it is likely that every kid in the school knows what a blow job is...thanks to the hysterical overreaction and the resulting media frenzy.

It may be much ado about nothing, but they make "school dictionaries". Banning a book sounds so much sexier than buying a new fucking series. Schools change publishers all the time. Big whoop.

It may be much ado about nothing, but they make "school dictionaries". Banning a book sounds so much sexier than buying a new fucking series. Schools change publishers all the time. Big whoop.
Yeah, buy all new dictionaries for the classrooms for 9000 students cause it has the naughty, naughty word "oral sex" in it/

This whole debate is whacked.

Are we really getting people advocating getting rid of dictionaries from school?

Really?

No one advocated getting rid of dictionaries that I read so far. It seems people want to make the words in the dictionary age appropriate is all.

The claim by some in this thread that people are advocating getting rid of the dictionary is one of these (appropriately on a dictionary :D)

red_herring.jpg
Do you suggest age appropriate bibles as well?

Really?

red_herring.jpg

Wait are you saying they should start hading out bibles in public school? If you think that me and you are going to have some serious issues :lol:

Or are you just tossing fish at me again?

red_herring.jpg

Wait are you saying they should start hading out bibles in public school? If you think that me and you are going to have some serious issues :lol:

Or are you just tossing fish at me again?
They always had bibles in school libraries.

They didn't in yours?

Forum List

Back