Devolving

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Natural outcome I suppose:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201704.html

2. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I dont think free speech will be an issue as long as it is in the consitution. I would never want to silence someone for his/her religious beliefs, but when it comes to legislation being put into place for a religious gain, Im going to have to do something to stop this.

The consitution was not drafted for any religion and infact, makes no reference to any diety at all. So the whole "marrage is sacred and should be between a man and a women" will only be a statement of free speach, not a real legislative thought. If it does, then I will begin to question Christianitys motives with the government. This is a secular society, always has been, always will be. Thomas Jefferson was not thinking of christianity when he drafted those amendments. He was thinking of equality.

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Is it just me, or is anyone else puzzled by the fact that liberals are the chief censors today? It's a little counterintuitive, in some ways. But conservatives are the champions of free speech today, especially on the Supreme Court.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,983
    Liberals "know whats best" they are only for Free Speech when it benefits them. Just as any other "right" or privalege. They are the "enlightened" and consider the rest of us ignorant boobs that need taken care of.

5. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Bongs hit 4 Jesus....

liberals are censoring people?

6. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Yes. Too bad alluding to the Morse ET AL v. Fredericks won't help you as the ruling was a sustaining of settled law. Fredericks was a high school student who attended a high school authorized event during normal school hours. His actions violated existing school policy which justified Morse in disciplining the boy.

Oral arguments presented to SCOTUS
    SCOTUS ruling in Morse ET AL v. Fredericks

Frankly had Fredericks pulled his stunt elsewhere, like say 5-6 blocks away from the school, he might have been able to argue his First Amendment rights provided he accepted a default ruling of misdemeanor truancy. But since he specifically parked himself at a school event, during the normal school hours he could not claim he was NOT under the school's jurisdiction at that time, and his actions warranted his suspension by Morse.

I'd suggest you read the oral arguments for a good laugh. The kid wanted to try to stick it to the principal who had recently disciplined him for another incident at school, and it looks like it backfired on him.

So how exactly were you trying to tie this case to the issue of First Amendment rights and censorship?

BTW, you should look up the term "false premise" before continuing this thread methinks....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yes...settled law that removes someones freedom of speech.

Umm no. The Constitution over-rides school policy.

Gee, I don't know. Maybe its because they are censoring him because its percieved to be promoting drug use, which is against school policy.

8. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    And I can easily tell you haven't bothered to read the SCOTUS ruling, the opinions of the Justices, nor even the oral arguments presented by the student's counsel before SCOTUS. Figures. You're just another lemming who thinks that students have the right to do as they wish with impunity. Grow up.

9. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Not do as they wish, say what they want.

10. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Which, amusingly enough, I don't even believe. Rather I was pointing out that conservatives are not always for free speech and liberals are not always against it. But you decided to make the asinine claim that this case had nothing to do with the first amendment, and then accused me of not reading it when if YOU had read it, you would have noticed in the dissent Stevens specifically mentions the 1st Amendment.