Despicable

Gotta love the hypocrites here insisting that the many many racist images seen at tea party rallies is only a tiny, fringe minority of the overall tea party movement, but one column in a left leaning blog that few people even know about is somehow representative of liberalism.

Not representative of liberalism per se. There are quite a few members here on USMB who are thoughtful and respectful and not at all hateful in their discourse despite being left of center and I appreciate those people a great deal.

That website though I think was typical of the left wingnuts who can't or don't argue issues on their their own merits but rather focus on certain people that they describe in the most crude and disrespectful manner.

You're probably right. But still, this is the first line from the OP:

PoliticalChic said:
What has become of today's liberalism that makes it acceptable to attack the mentally handicapped if they or their parents are conservatives?

Obviously PoliticalChic doesn't agree with your sentiment.

Oh I think I have read her stuff long enough to think she does share my sentiment. To attach a negative concept to a particular group is typical on message boards but does not necessarily indict everybody.

For instance I might write "What has become of Christianity that a group like Westboro Baptist Church even exists?" I might write that fully aware that 99+% of Christians including Baptists all deplore and condemn the activities of the Westboro church.

I would hope that intelligent and thoughtful liberals would also deplore and condemn the hatefulness on the website PC targeted.

To attach a negative concept to a particular group is typical on message boards but does not necessarily indict everybody.

Again I agree.

Yet many of the same people who do this themselves still get their panties in a knot anytime someone else dares to acknowledge the obviously racist elements within the tea party movement. That is hypocritical, no?

The reason the liberals attack Palin and also trump for that matter is because 1) they fear them and 2) they cannot mount an intelligent counter argument to the points people like Palin and Trump make.

The birthers have been comprehensively discredited. Where have you been?

Who said anything about birthers?

Reading comprehension! Learn it!

To attach a negative concept to a particular group is typical on message boards but does not necessarily indict everybody.

Again I agree.

Yet many of the same people who do this themselves still get their panties in a knot anytime someone else dares to acknowledge the obviously racist elements within the tea party movement. That is hypocritical, no?

Not if the person does not see any racist elements within the tea party movement. As an active tea partier I can assure you I have not seen any. I can say there are routinely hateful people within liberalism because I can point to so many websites in which hatefulness is the norm and can point to members here on USMB who can't or won't focus on an issue on its own merits but rather want to insult or degrade or belittle other people. Ugly hateful signs seem to be typical at many leftist rallies rather than the rare exception. I don't see much rebuke of this from even 'good' liberals, so I have to believe that it is accepted as inevitable within modern American liberalism whether or not it is embraced by all.

It is not much different than me accepting that the abortion clinic protesters and "the end is near" and 'everybody who doesn't believe as I do are going to hell' groups exist within Christianity. They do. I don't like it, but I don't deny that fact either.

I don't know ANY tea partiers who embrace or accept or tolerate racism as part of the tea party movement. I don't know any tea partiers who do not denounce and distance themselves from the few who show up with racist signs or slogans. That is so anathema to the Tea Party focus that many of us believe most or all of those 'racist' folks are leftist plants anyway. :)

Gotta love the hypocrites here insisting that the many many racist images seen at tea party rallies is only a tiny, fringe minority of the overall tea party movement, but one column in a left leaning blog that few people even know about is somehow representative of liberalism.

Not representative of liberalism per se. There are quite a few members here on USMB who are thoughtful and respectful and not at all hateful in their discourse despite being left of center and I appreciate those people a great deal.

That website though I think was typical of the left wingnuts who can't or don't argue issues on their their own merits but rather focus on certain people that they describe in the most crude and disrespectful manner.

Oh for fuck's sake. Have you even looked at the website?

It's purpose is not, and has never been, to "argue issues on their own merits". It's a satire website that exists to poke fun at politicians. Generally it's conservatives, but liberals get it too (Check out the "FLOTUS Files").

It's a comedy sight. Is cracking on Trig Palin tasteless? Absolutely. Is most good comedty tasteless? Absolutely.

Fading Literary Star Barack Obama No Longer Selling Any Books

Again I agree.

Not if the person does not see any racist elements within the tea party movement. As an active tea partier I can assure you I have not seen any. I can say there are routinely hateful people within liberalism because I can point to so many websites in which hatefulness is the norm and can point to members here on USMB who can't or won't focus on an issue on its own merits but rather want to insult or degrade or belittle other people. Ugly hateful signs seem to be typical at many leftist rallies rather than the rare exception. I don't see much rebuke of this from even 'good' liberals, so I have to believe that it is accepted as inevitable within modern American liberalism whether or not it is embraced by all.

It is not much different than me accepting that the abortion clinic protesters and "the end is near" and 'everybody who doesn't believe as I do are going to hell' groups exist within Christianity. They do. I don't like it, but I don't deny that fact either.

I don't know ANY tea partiers who embrace or accept or tolerate racism as part of the tea party movement. I don't know any tea partiers who do not denounce and distance themselves from the few who show up with racist signs or slogans. That is so anathema to the Tea Party focus that many of us believe most or all of those 'racist' folks are leftist plants anyway. :)

Clearly you don't hamper your arguments with honesty. :eusa_hand:

Again I agree.

Clearly you don't hamper your arguments with honesty. :eusa_hand:

Clearly you don't know me well. I may not always be right. But I am always honest.

What is wrong with you. The signs that the tea party was putting up was parodies of the posters that the left put up during the Bush years. :lol:

Interesting hypothesis.

Could you kindly supply for everyone which Bush sign this is parodying?

racist-obama-sign-3.jpg

How is this sign racist? Using another famous black's man's image about redistribution of wealth? Of course this has nothing to do with Bush.
How do you know that this store owner is a tea partier?
I was talking about the tea parters that was protesting in front of the capital and then was labeled by a left wing reporter that they were racist by the signs they holding up.
The majority of those signs were parodies of what the protesters were holding up during the Bush years.

If you actually went to a couple of Tea Party events you could see first hand that you're talking blatant and perhaps willful ignorance. :)

I did go to one.

It was inundated with racists.

I haven't gone to another one since.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

If you actually went to a couple of Tea Party events you could see first hand that you're talking blatant and perhaps willful ignorance. :)

I did go to one.

I've been to several. Not a single racist among them. But, all the ones I have been to have been in DC. Maybe DC is just more enlightened than Mass.

:eek:

I did go to one.

I agree wtih Si Modo. Your community/state must be totally unique. I wasn't there so I can't judge what you saw, but I can assure you that tea parties infused with racists aren't happening in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Dallas, or Oklahoma City or anyplace else I know of.

What's wrong with Massachusetts that it is so racist?

Edit: Just saw that it was in Kentucky? Again I haven't been to a Kentucky tea party but according to my niece with a Hispanic surname who does live there, the tea parties are pretty neat events too. I think she would have commented if there was a racist element, but whatever you say.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting in any way that racism was the impetus for the Tea Party movement. But it's blatantly obvious to any objective observer that many racists have since jumped on the bandwagon. And that's a real problem for perception, and denying this fact doesn't make it go away.

This is what a lot on the left do. The demonize all that they do not understand... Palin is a prime example. How can this ordinary, attractive, non-Harvard educated, non-insider who speaks plainly and is willing to say what needs to bbe said, and may not always be popular, be so popular?

Answer: She's an idiot, a slut, a bimbo, her kids are retarded, etc.

Sad, but this is what passes for as MarcATL would put it, "intellectualism" to some on the left.

Forum List

Back