Describing God

Milton Steinberg said “The believer in God has to account for the existence of unjust suffering; the atheist has to account for the existence of everything else.”

I like that one ^^^^^^ someday I will embroider it on a tablecloth

3. But the best job I found was in Dennis Prager’s new book, “The Rational Bible.”

“…a Creator of the universe…. nothing preexisted Genesis 1:1. … only God can create from nothing.

So what did this God do for all that eternity before He created anything? Just sit there in the dark, pulling His pud?

Last edited:
Christians derive three principal disciplines from the Scriptures:

1. Theology, or matters of God;
  2. Eschatology, or matters of last things;
  3. Soteriology, or matters of resurrection (or salvation).

They should be beyond eschatology, as that's what the New Testament is, and discussing/debating soteriology, as its implications within eschatology are what impact them. And they should even understand soteriology by and by (and protology, or matters of first things, which is closely linked to it).

They need not fully comprehend God, though, because they can't, except for certain attributes of His that they can glean from the Scriptures, which PC captures well, IMO. The gamut of His attributes appear to run in two general directions. The people under Torah related quite differently to God than the post-Torah saints do. They related to an angry God while the saints relate to a forgiving God. Under Torah, they worshiped idols. For the last 2,000 years, the saints have worshiped only Him.

I think that's the first place to even begin to understand God.

3. But the best job I found was in Dennis Prager’s new book, “The Rational Bible.”

“…a Creator of the universe…. nothing preexisted Genesis 1:1. … only God can create from nothing.

…everything—with the exception of God—has a beginning. Prior to God’s creating, there was nothing. That includes time.

So what did this God do for all that eternity before He created anything? Just sit there in the dark, pulling His pud?

Make a more respectful, less juvenile post, and you may get an answer, dunce.

1. Ineluctably, political discussions touch on some relationship to God…as in:

"It is a great irony of communism that those who did not believe in God believed that godlike knowledge could be concentrated at a central point. It was believed that government could be omnipotent and omniscient. And in order to justify the idea that all lives should be determined by a single plan, the concomitant tendency of communist regimes was to deify the leader- whether Lenin, Stalin, Mao, or Kim Il-sung."
Tom Bethell, "The Noblest Triumph," p. 144

But, do Stalin, or Mao, or even the one Liberals called God, Obama, have the necessary defining characteristics?

2. Looking up the definition… “the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe”
Definition of GOD

But that’s not enough.

“An ancient proverb teaches, “To spare the ravening leopard is an act of injustice to the sheep.” That is why the Rabbis spoke of mercy and justice as the two necessary attributes of God—and therefore of a decent society.”
Dennis Prager

And I found this on the board:

“Omnipotence means all-powerful. Monotheistic theologians regard God as having supreme power. This means God can do what he wants. It means he is not subject to physical limitations like man is. Being omnipotent, God has power over wind, water, gravity, physics, etc. God's power is infinite, or limitless."

Still not enough for what is generally accepted as that definition.

Cave Cave Deus Videt ("Beware, Beware, God Sees"). Hieronymus Bosch, in the painting 'The Seven Deadly Sins'

"The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things" is a painting that has traditionally been attributed to Hieronymus Bosch, …
Four small circles, detailing the four last things — "Death of the Sinner", "Judgment", "Hell" and "Glory" — surround a larger circle in which the seven deadly sins are depicted: wrath at the bottom, then (proceeding clockwise) envy, greed, gluttony, sloth, extravagance (later replaced with lust), and pride, in scenes from life rather than in allegorical representations of the sins.
At the centre of the large circle, which is said to represent the eye of God, is a "pupil" in which Christ can be seen emerging from his tomb. Below this image is the Latin inscription Cave Cave Deus Videt ("Beware, Beware, God Sees").”
Hieronymus Bosch «The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things» around 1500, Museo del Prado, Madrid

See the painting here: The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things - Wikipedia

1024px-Hieronymus_Bosch-_The_Seven_Deadly_Sins_and_the_Four_Last_Things.JPG

All-seeing is an essential element in the definition of God, as it reminds believers that what they do, good or evil, will not go unnoticed.

But….there is more….

as you say......your god will notice how evil you are.

They should be beyond eschatology, as that's what the New Testament is, and discussing/debating soteriology, as its implications within eschatology are what impact them. And they should even understand soteriology by and by (and protology, or matters of first things, which is closely linked to it).

They need not fully comprehend God, though, because they can't, except for certain attributes of His that they can glean from the Scriptures, which PC captures well, IMO. The gamut of His attributes appear to run in two general directions. The people under Torah related quite differently to God than the post-Torah saints do. They related to an angry God while the saints relate to a forgiving God. Under Torah, they worshiped idols. For the last 2,000 years, the saints have worshiped only Him.

Nay, nay.....It appears that the Jewish view, the Old Testament view, is a thoughtful God.

Consider His threat of 'death on that day' when they eat the forbidden fruit.

He then reduces it to parole....

In Genesis 32 Jacob wrestles with God.....that shoulda' been Pay per View!!

In a later post I will include what their view of God sees as his aim for his creations.....free will based on intelligence, rather than abject conformity to His wishes.
There's no anger there....there's understanding.

"It is a great irony of communism that those who did not believe in God believed that godlike knowledge could be concentrated at a central point. It was believed that government could be omnipotent and omniscient. And in order to justify the idea that all lives should be determined by a single plan, the concomitant tendency of communist regimes was to deify the leader- whether Lenin, Stalin, Mao, or Kim Il-sung."

But, do Stalin, or Mao, or even the one Liberals called God, Obama, have the necessary defining characteristics?

2. Looking up the definition… “the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe”
Definition of GOD

But that’s not enough.

“An ancient proverb teaches, “To spare the ravening leopard is an act of injustice to the sheep.” That is why the Rabbis spoke of mercy and justice as the two necessary attributes of God—and therefore of a decent society.”
Dennis Prager

“Omnipotence means all-powerful. Monotheistic theologians regard God as having supreme power. This means God can do what he wants. It means he is not subject to physical limitations like man is. Being omnipotent, God has power over wind, water, gravity, physics, etc. God's power is infinite, or limitless."

Cave Cave Deus Videt ("Beware, Beware, God Sees"). Hieronymus Bosch, in the painting 'The Seven Deadly Sins'

"The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things" is a painting that has traditionally been attributed to Hieronymus Bosch, …
Four small circles, detailing the four last things — "Death of the Sinner", "Judgment", "Hell" and "Glory" — surround a larger circle in which the seven deadly sins are depicted: wrath at the bottom, then (proceeding clockwise) envy, greed, gluttony, sloth, extravagance (later replaced with lust), and pride, in scenes from life rather than in allegorical representations of the sins.
At the centre of the large circle, which is said to represent the eye of God, is a "pupil" in which Christ can be seen emerging from his tomb. Below this image is the Latin inscription Cave Cave Deus Videt ("Beware, Beware, God Sees").”
Hieronymus Bosch «The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things» around 1500, Museo del Prado, Madrid

See the painting here: The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things - Wikipedia

All-seeing is an essential element in the definition of God, as it reminds believers that what they do, good or evil, will not go unnoticed.

But….there is more….

as you say......your god will notice how evil you are.

My God is capitalized

Your god, Obama, is the one that you claimed was god, Jesus, and the messiah.

And here's why I like your enmity, mud...

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends."
- William Butler Yeats

shiva created and destroyed and created and........

9. If the believer accepts the existence of God, belief in the Bible tends to follow. And that has worked well for Western Civilization.

Mankind has a special place in God’s creations….and even secular science provides proof of this. God, or something, seems to have created the universe for man’s benefit.

This, from a Harper's essay, by a physicist.

“…according to various calculations, if the values of some of the fundamental parameters of our universe were a little larger or a little smaller, life could not have arisen. For example, if the nuclear force were a few percentage points stronger than it actually is, then all the hydrogen atoms in the infant universe would have fused with other hydrogen atoms to make helium, and there would be no hydrogen left. No hydrogen means no water.

On the other hand, if the nuclear force were substantially weaker than what it actually is, then the complex atoms needed for biology could not hold together. As another example, if the relationship between the strengths of the gravitational force and the electromagnetic force were not close to what it is, then the cosmos would not harbor any stars that explode and spew out life-supporting chemical elements into space or any other stars that form planets. Both kinds of stars are required for the emergence of life.

The strengths of the basic forces and certain other fundamental parameters in our universe appear to be “fine-tuned” to allow the existence of life. The recognition of this fine tuning led British physicist Brandon Carter to articulate what he called the anthropic principle, which states that the universe must have the parameters it does because we are here to observe it. Actually, the word anthropic, from the Greek for “man,” is a misnomer: if these fundamental parameters were much different from what they are, it is not only human beings who would not exist. No life of any kind would exist.”

The accidental universe: Science's crisis of faith

By Alan P. Lightman

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2011/12/0083720

Get it??? God to mankind: "Big fan!!!"

Nay, nay.....It appears that the Jewish view, the Old Testament view, is a thoughtful God.

In a later post I will include what their view of God sees as his aim for his creations.....free will based on intelligence, rather than abject conformity to His wishes.
This is where contemporary Christians fall short in their soteriology. They believe that God threatened a biological death if man were to forsake him. If God threatened death on the day that Adam ate the fruit, then changed His mind, then He is a weak and compliant God. And that is not so.

Adam died to God that day.

Christ's cry of dereliction on the Cross echoes the curse of Adam. In Adam, man forsook God. In Christ, God forsook man. After that cry, however, when the Lord committed his spirit to the Father, he was resurrected.

Real thoughtful was he, he caused a flood because all people and animals were too corrupt and he gave Babylon and Romans the resources to desolate the Jewish Temple because the Jews were idolizing other gods and debased themselves with all kinds of wicked acts , and you call that thoughtful, all according to the scripture. And then God allowed his son to be crucified according to scipture, and God is thoughtful, after he raped a virgin girl engaged to a man!

How thoughtful.

Krauthammer was a jew, and he had been in a WC ever since he college and he studied the Talmud.

Who can say what God is??

WC ? water closet?

Wheelchair, now can you say what God is?

Seems you don't care to opine.....

There are two camps, with very different responsibilities for describing God.....and one may be consistent with your complaint about
Krauthammer being in a wheelchair.

8. There is another side to the view that the universe must have had a Creator….and that those with faith name that Creator, God. But, part of the description of God requires that he be just and merciful….beneficent.

Ok, then, says the atheist…if I grant that a creator must exist, and that he is beneficent… how come there is murder, torture, disease, earthquakes....people in wheelchairs…..where is the beneficence in that???

A good point.

Rick Perry said, "I don't know that there's any human being that has the ability to interpret what God and his final decision-making is going to be. That's what the faith says. I understand, and my caveat there is that an all-knowing God certainly transcends my personal ability to make that judgment black and white."

Obama, answering a variation of the question, said: “… whether you’re looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity … is above my pay grade.”

Milton Steinberg said “The believer in God has to account for the existence of unjust suffering; the atheist has to account for the existence of everything else.”

Now…where is the atheist’s explanation for the universe, for life, self-awareness, emotions, art or music?

Evolution. No God, or gods, or the devil. But evil exists.

Krauthammer was a jew, and he had been in a WC ever since he college and he studied the Talmud.

Who can say what God is??

WC ? water closet?

Wheelchair, now can you say what God is?

Seems you don't care to opine.....

There are two camps, with very different responsibilities for describing God.....and one may be consistent with your complaint about
Krauthammer being in a wheelchair.

8. There is another side to the view that the universe must have had a Creator….and that those with faith name that Creator, God. But, part of the description of God requires that he be just and merciful….beneficent.

Ok, then, says the atheist…if I grant that a creator must exist, and that he is beneficent… how come there is murder, torture, disease, earthquakes....people in wheelchairs…..where is the beneficence in that???

A good point.

Rick Perry said, "I don't know that there's any human being that has the ability to interpret what God and his final decision-making is going to be. That's what the faith says. I understand, and my caveat there is that an all-knowing God certainly transcends my personal ability to make that judgment black and white."

Obama, answering a variation of the question, said: “… whether you’re looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity … is above my pay grade.”

Now…where is the atheist’s explanation for the universe, for life, self-awareness, emotions, art or music?

Evolution. No God, or gods, or the devil. But evil exists.

Where did you say the materials necessary for evolution came from?

10. As science writer Tom Bethell notes, “an article of our secular faith that there is nothing exceptional about human life.” Thus, we can add this ‘atheism-article-of-faith’ to the others,
materialism, and
moral relativism,
that form the Cliff-Notes of modern liberalism.

No wonder the Left finds human slaughter worth no more than a shrug.

As always....they're incorrect: the organism ‘man’ is special in relationship to every other organism....and to God.

Included in the recognized definition of ‘God’ is God’s special accommodations toward mankind:
Generous to a fault.....so to speak.
It is deeply important to understand the two most human gifts, intelligence and free will.

...at the heart of religion....and by religion I mean the Judeo-Christian faith.....
....is free will.
And that free will is animated by, and requires the application of, the gift of intelligence.

Scientists know that the human brain delivers far more ‘performance’ for its weight than any other species’ brain.
Sir John Maddox, editor emeritus of the foremost journal of science, Nature, wrote in a classic Time magazine essay, “How the brain manages to think is a conundrum with a millennial time scale.
All animals have brains so as to be able to move about. Signals from the senses- eyes, ears, nostrils, or skin, as the case may be- send messages to the spinal cord, which moves the limbs appropriately. But thinking involves the consideration of alternative responses, many of which have not been experienced but have been merely imagined. The faculty of being conscious of what is going on in the head is an extra puzzle.” (“Thinking,” March 29, 1999, p. 206)

Job 32:8
8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

A real pity that so few use the gift....
....they vote Democrat.

Definition of GOD

But that’s not enough.

Dennis Prager

But….there is more….
God is LOVE. This is stated in the Bible.

Definition of GOD

But that’s not enough.

Dennis Prager

But….there is more….

Not enough.....

What else?

Definition of GOD

But that’s not enough.

Dennis Prager

But….there is more….

Not enough.....

What else?
And everything else you mentioned in your opening post to this thread.

Well, all religions say basically the same thing................there is a Creator, that what we do in this life affects what happens next, there is something better and something worse, based on how we live this life.

All have some kind of Golden Rule in them.

Me? I think of God as some large multifaceted being, and each religion is a reflection of just one of His facets.

Well, all religions say basically the same thing................there is a Creator, that what we do in this life affects what happens next, there is something better and something worse, based on how we live this life.

Me? I think of God as some large multifaceted being, and each religion is a reflection of just one of His facets.

"Well, all religions say basically the same thing......"

It appears you may have missed these:
…everything—with the exception of God—has a beginning. Prior to God’s creating, there was nothing. That includes time. Thanks to Einstein, we know that time, too, had a beginning. God, therefore, also created time, which means God exists not only outside of nature but outside of time. God precedes time and will outlive time.

…unlike pre-Bible creation stories, there is complete silence regarding a birth of the deity. The God of Genesis 1:1, the God of the Bible, is not born….a god who is completely separate from nature—because God created nature. God, for the first time, is not part of nature.

"All have some kind of Golden Rule in them."

Can you find it for me in here?

“I have been commanded to wage war against mankind till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, …and if they do it, their blood and property are guaranteed protection on my behalf ….”

Know whose quote that is?

Muhammad bin Abdullah (570-632)

and....

"Muslims cant integrate and must hate non muslims ?"
Those aren't my words, they are from a Muslim leader.
“New York Mufti says, Muslims cannot integrate: ‘Muslims should hate non-Muslims’ “The general principle… is to love and to hate for the sake of Allah,” New York Mufti says, Muslims cannot integrate: 'Muslims should hate non-Muslims' · Caldron Pool

versus this.... it is written, incidentally, in Leviticus, "Love your neighbor as yourself, I am God." I, God, tell you to be decent to other people.

You may want to re-think parts of your post.

"I think of God as some large multifaceted being, and each religion is a reflection of just one of His facets."

When it pertains to Islam, I couldn't agree more.

Forum List

Back