DeSantis appointees begin reshaping Disney World's district

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
I'm going to enjoy watching the process and the outcome of this.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ appointees are trying to reshape Disney World’s governing body with proposals to eliminate a planning board and prohibit mask mandates

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' appointees on Wednesday began trying to reshape Disney World's governing body with proposals to eliminate a planning board and prohibit mask mandates and COVID-19 vaccine requirements in an evolving showdown between the Republican governor and the world's best-known entertainment company.

The five new board members of the governing body, which had been controlled by Disney up until February, had on their meeting agenda rules prohibiting anyone from being barred from its offices for not wearing a face mask or not having the COVID-19 vaccine. Also, the agenda includes a resolution asserting the board's “superior authority” over the district that covers Disney World's 27,000 acres (10,926 hectares), including two miniscule cities.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ appointees are trying to reshape Disney World’s governing body with proposals to eliminate a planning board and prohibit mask mandates

I like Florida but hate Disney. They should go out of business and then reopen the park as Trump World.:)

And can't do a damn thing about it. :auiqs.jpg:
Oh, and I think Disney already ended mandatory masks.

All Disney had to do was just entertain kids and families like they have always done. That's it.

If they hadn't decided to try and politicize themselves, push social agenda nonsense in their shows and movies, stayed away from the racism trap, and all of that other shit none of this wouldnt have happened. They wouldn't have Florida giving them a hard way to go, they would still be governing themselves and they would be raking in the cash.

Is the new state prison going up? I doubt it.

All Disney had to do was just entertain kids and families like they have always done. That's it.

If they hadn't decided to try and politicize themselves, push social agenda nonsense in their shows and movies, stayed away from the racism trap, and all of that other shit none of this wouldnt have happened. They wouldn't have Florida giving them a hard way to go, they would still be governing themselves and they would be raking in the cash.
So you’re saying that Florida’s government is going after Disney for political reasons?

I think some people are missing the fine print regarding mask mandates and vaccine requirements (which I don't think WDW has anymore), and that is "in their offices".

Of course the board can choose not to require masks and require vaccines to their offices.

The board didn't say that WDW couldn't, since - you know - WDW is private property, require them in the park(s).

WW

How Disney just beat Ron DeSantis​

Ron DeSantis is now losing to both Donald Trump and Mickey Mouse.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis may have prematurely declared victory in his battle with Disney.

Last year, DeSantis made national headlines when he went after the company, the state’s largest employer, in retaliation for its opposition to his “Don’t Say Gay” law, which prevents teachers from talking about LGBTQ+ issues or people. He pushed the state legislature to strip the company of its status as a special tax district, under which it has been able to develop and maintain its theme parks with relative independence. And DeSantis replaced the board members governing that district, who’d previously been controlled by Disney, with conservative figures loyal to him.

But it seems that Disney’s lawyers outwitted him. The new board members overseeing the governance of Disney said in a meeting Wednesday that their predecessors had rendered them essentially powerless in a policy ratified just before they took over.

The board is exploring the possibility of challenging the agreement in court, or at least cutting a new deal with Disney.

But it’s not clear that the company will back down — and it has little, if anything, to gain by doing so. Disney says that the agreement was “appropriate” and “discussed and approved in open, noticed public forums in compliance with Florida’s Government in the Sunshine law.” The Sentinel reported that Disney did in fact hold a public meeting and briefly discussed the agreement before it was unanimously approved, but all that went unnoticed at the time.

For DeSantis, it’s a setback on a culture war issue that was supposed to be a winning one for him as he gears up for a potential 2024 presidential campaign. And it adds to a mounting list of recent troubles
— from declining poll numbers to backlash over his dismissive remarks on Ukraine to escalating attacks from Trump — that could doom his candidacy before it’s even formally begun.

Much like his former mentor Trump, DeSantis wants to be seen as a fighter, even if his “stock and trade is bombast and bravado, providing solutions to problems that do not exist,” Stipanovich said. Ahead of his reelection last year, he literally ran ads describing himself as “fighter” made by God and cosplaying as a Top Gun fighter pilot “dogfighting” with the “corporate media.”

But Disney is proving to be the foe that will not die.

"The governor, who is expected to announce a run for president in the coming weeks, pushed through legislation last year taking away Disney's self-governing status in Florida. The legislation gives the state oversight over the company's Central Florida properties, but in a surprise move Disney found a way to nullify the state's authority shortly before the new law took effect.

Now DeSantis wants to overturn Disney's efforts to slip out of state control, accusing the company of doing "special deals" that “would essentially render everything that we did null and void.”

Disney secured development agreements that give it control of development rights on its properties for many years to come, circumventing the state oversight board appointed by DeSantis. A statement by Disney said the transaction was above-board, properly noticed and done at a public meeting in the Sunshine.

DeSantis said Monday that Florida lawmakers will unveil legislation next week that ensures "the agreements purported to be entered into by Disney are revoked."

In addition to repealing the development agreements between Disney and its oversight board, the new legislation is expected to give state inspectors oversight over Disney's rides, ending a carveout that exempted the company from state inspections.

DeSantis also floated a number of other actions that his state oversight board could take that Disney may not like."

No, Florida is going to treat Disney the way all the other businesses in the state are treated. If you weren't a whore for the billionaire corporations, you would understand that.

Not really.

There are something like well over 1000 of the same type of districts as Reedy Creek. (It was either 1100 or 1900, including The Villages, IIRC.)

In all those business special districts they Board is selected by the property owner(s). In only 1 case his the board now selected based on Governor degree.

Wann'a guess where the 1 district is?

So no, Disney has been singled out.

WW

No, Florida is going to treat Disney the way all the other businesses in the state are treated. If you weren't a whore for the billionaire corporations, you would understand that.
Was there some problem with how Disney was operating? I’d understand if they were issues with their own governance, but everything I’ve read indicates Disney has significantly higher standards than the rest of Florida.

I think Jim Jordan should have a government oversight hearing in Orlando about the weaponization of government.

All Florida did was remove a gift they gave Disney decades ago because Disney was being an ass.

It's actually government taking back a part of said government. Nothing has actually been done to Disney.

7iqifw.jpg

Of course you are. Using the power of the state to punish businesses that criticize the government is a republican wet dream.

Forum List

Back