Depressed? Ever considered suicide?

How? Why did God help her and not others?

"How?" You said it is an individual thing, right?

Here is what I had to learn. Be patient no matter what. We do not always get the answers right a way. Seek and ask for guidance from God. Our answers do not always present themselves in ways we think they should as humans we tend to think with human precepts. Keep in mind God chooses the foolish things to confound the prideful and wise in our own eyes (been there know this one by heart by now).

Faith, even when I thought I had put all my trust in God I was reminded that I had not. It is a longer story than I can write on this message board.

What does this mean? She is asking you why would God ignore other suicide victims but pay attention to this particular one. I will tell you why. Because it's bullshit, that's why.
Let's see drifter asks a question. Gracie get's pissy about me answering her question. You claim its all bullshit yet at first you claim I was thoughtless for even posting something felt was worth sharing. Chris L. you seriously do need some help. I am going to just ignore you from here forward on this thread.

Here is what I had to learn. Be patient no matter what. We do not always get the answers right a way. Seek and ask for guidance from God. Our answers do not always present themselves in ways we think they should as humans we tend to think with human precepts. Keep in mind God chooses the foolish things to confound the prideful and wise in our own eyes (been there know this one by heart by now).

Faith, even when I thought I had put all my trust in God I was reminded that I had not. It is a longer story than I can write on this message board.

What does this mean? She is asking you why would God ignore other suicide victims but pay attention to this particular one. I will tell you why. Because it's bullshit, that's why.
Let's see drifter asks a question. Gracie get's pissy about me answering her question. You claim its all bullshit yet at first you claim I was thoughtless for even posting something felt was worth sharing. Chris L. you seriously do need some help. I am going to just ignore you from here forward on this thread.

It is thoughtless. Thoughtless and completely inconsiderate. No, I don't need help for recognizing thoughtless behavior.

I am not prideful nor foolish in grieving the death of my sister. I move forward in life that's what people do, bad things happen, but I don't believe God would just help her return and leave others suffering in hell. That's not love, love never fails and love has no conditions.
You are correct love never fails. No its not pride in grieving your sisters death but there may be something else that God wants you to learn first. Each of us has to search for the answer and be patient enough for it to come.

Being in such a mental state, one tends not to think about others. Like, those they "inconvenienced".

I disagree. I think it is a final act of revenge. My experience with suicide is that those who pursue it do so to get back at those "who will be sorry when they are gone." I think the girl who jumped in front of our train fully intended to make everyone on board pay for the misery she felt.

My sister was depressed because our dad had died and she missed him.
Sounds like she did not have hope.
Please don't play shrink or be a judge.
Not a judgement. I have attempted to give up myself before. I was just going to let nature do it though.

glad you didn't do it.

Where in the Bible does it say that you are automatically sent to Hell if you commit suicide? Chapter and verse please.

Me? I believe that if you want to take yourself out, you can, just don't take anyone else with you.

Have I considered it? Yes. A couple of times in my teen years and once when I was in my 30's (rough times both of them and I didn't want to be here). However, people saw I was in a bad place and bailed me out.

Would I consider it again? Depends on whether or not my life gets as bad as those last two times. I don't see it happening anytime in the forseeable future though.

I maintain there is no Biblical prohibition against suicide. I have posted the following before and think it is appropriate to publish again:

Some Christians would define suicide as a type of murder, but I disagree. I would define murder as: The unlawful killing of one human by another. This is certainly the way the law defines it. I don't believe that we should have one dictionary for use when we speak to each other, and another dictionary when we attempt to interpret the Bible.

But, hey, I agree that suicide should be a crime punishable by death!!

Even though suicide is clearly not murder (a crime which is prohibited by the Bible); some Christians resort to the writings of Paul to show that the body is the temple of the holy spirit and therefore killing one's own body is a sin. These Christians rely on the following scripture:

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are” (1 Corinthians 3:16-17, KJV).

“Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's” (1 Corinthians 6:18-20, KJV).

These verses do not address suicide directly, so I suppose everyone is is free to interpret them in any way they desire. I do find it interesting that the only sin against the body that Paul mentions is fornication, which would strongly suggest that suicide was not such a sin. Besides, if suicide - which I would define as the act of hastening one's own death - is a sin, then it must also be true that any act which causes one's premature demise is equally sinful. Thus, those who smoke, drink excessively or fail to diet and exercise properly would also be condemned to the eternal fires of Hell.

There is a helluva difference between those who kill others others and those who take their own lives in quiet desperation. I have studied various versions of the Bible for over sixty years, and have found no specific mention of suicide. I would contend that if God is fair and just as Christians believe He will not condemn those who took their own lives; instead, he will heal their pain so that they can live and love and laugh again; or, as the Bible puts it, He will “Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit” (Psalm 51:12) and “God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away” (Revelation 21:4). What kind of God would torment for all eternity those who faced so much torment in their lives that they could no longer bear it? Not my God.

For the record, my son committed suicide in 2008, just a few months before his twenty-fourth birthday.

I'm sorry for your pain, but my view remains that those who do this have little care of the impact it has on others.

I don't think care is the right word. It's selfish sure, but I think there is more of a feeling of extreme hopelessness and aloneness and a feeling of not being wanted or loved, it's a paniced feeling like realizing or thinking you are worthless and a burden and better off dead.

I disagree. I think it is a final act of revenge. My experience with suicide is that those who pursue it do so to get back at those "who will be sorry when they are gone." I think the girl who jumped in front of our train fully intended to make everyone on board pay for the misery she felt.

Sounds like she did not have hope.
Please don't play shrink or be a judge.
Not a judgement. I have attempted to give up myself before. I was just going to let nature do it though.

glad you didn't do it.
Me too, I fell through the emergency doors just in the nick of time. That was over thirty years ago. I would have missed a whole lot.

Is that what you thought? Oh well, that is not what the OP was about, now was it? It was pretty much saying that if you kill yourself, then you will go to hell, no?

Chris, I'll let you in on a little secret.

There is no hell.

There is no god.

I don't know for sure if there is some kind of "god" type entity or not. However, if there is a "god" then I cannot believe that it would be so cruel.

I'm sorry for your pain, but my view remains that those who do this have little care of the impact it has on others.

I don't think care is the right word. It's selfish sure, but I think there is more of a feeling of extreme hopelessness and aloneness and a feeling of not being wanted or loved, it's a paniced feeling like realizing or thinking you are worthless and a burden and better off dead.
Nobody knows except your sis, Drifter. Don't beat yourself up over it. She did what she did because she felt it was her only recourse. She is NOT in hell, she is NOT suffering in eternal damnation. She is at peace now. Your job at this time is to find some peace yourself. Mourn, yes. Be sad, yes. But no more than that. That is your lesson, I guess. To learn to let go because now, she is with God.
Personally, I would love to be with Him too. But not yet.

I have to say that I honestly find this kind of thing to be very upsetting. I'm certainly not a religious person, but I sure did think about these kinds of things. Sorry if it offends you, but it is HURTFUL to read or hear these types of things to the families of victims of suicide. Extremely hurtful, like torture. Sheer mental torture and torment.

Where in the Bible does it say that you are automatically sent to Hell if you commit suicide? Chapter and verse please.

Me? I believe that if you want to take yourself out, you can, just don't take anyone else with you.

Have I considered it? Yes. A couple of times in my teen years and once when I was in my 30's (rough times both of them and I didn't want to be here). However, people saw I was in a bad place and bailed me out.

Would I consider it again? Depends on whether or not my life gets as bad as those last two times. I don't see it happening anytime in the forseeable future though.

I maintain there is no Biblical prohibition against suicide. I have posted the following before and think it is appropriate to publish again:

Some Christians would define suicide as a type of murder, but I disagree. I would define murder as: The unlawful killing of one human by another. This is certainly the way the law defines it. I don't believe that we should have one dictionary for use when we speak to each other, and another dictionary when we attempt to interpret the Bible.

Even though suicide is clearly not murder (a crime which is prohibited by the Bible); some Christians resort to the writings of Paul to show that the body is the temple of the holy spirit and therefore killing one's own body is a sin. These Christians rely on the following scripture:

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are” (1 Corinthians 3:16-17, KJV).

“Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's” (1 Corinthians 6:18-20, KJV).

These verses do not address suicide directly, so I suppose everyone is is free to interpret them in any way they desire. I do find it interesting that the only sin against the body that Paul mentions is fornication, which would strongly suggest that suicide was not such a sin. Besides, if suicide - which I would define as the act of hastening one's own death - is a sin, then it must also be true that any act which causes one's premature demise is equally sinful. Thus, those who smoke, drink excessively or fail to diet and exercise properly would also be condemned to the eternal fires of Hell.

There is a helluva difference between those who kill others others and those who take their own lives in quiet desperation. I have studied various versions of the Bible for over sixty years, and have found no specific mention of suicide. I would contend that if God is fair and just as Christians believe He will not condemn those who took their own lives; instead, he will heal their pain so that they can live and love and laugh again; or, as the Bible puts it, He will “Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit” (Psalm 51:12) and “God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away” (Revelation 21:4). What kind of God would torment for all eternity those who faced so much torment in their lives that they could no longer bear it? Not my God.

For the record, my son committed suicide in 2008, just a few months before his twenty-fourth birthday.

I'm sorry to hear that about your son.

Thank you Professor. "Not my God either". We can subject ourselves but even then God will seek us out. As there is no safe place to hide, even hell, Psalm 139:8 If I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there....

Forum List

Back