Let's Correct This "End of the World" Crap

BluePhantom

Educator (of liberals)
Nov 11, 2011
Portland, OR / Salem, OR
So I have seen a lot of threads, usually posted by atheists, harping about end of the world prophecies by people relying upon the Bible. Let's clarify some misunderstandings. What the Bible refers to is Jewish Apocalypticism. This is what is written about in such Old Testament texts as Daniel and Zechariah. There are many apocalyptic sayings attributed to Jesus in the gospels. Paul's letters are very apocalyptic and Revelation is totally apocalyptic.

The first thing that both atheists and theists need to understand is that Jewish apocalypticism as discussed in the Bible is NOT about the end of the world. It is about the end of the "present age" (aka the "evil age") and the beginning of the "future age" or the establishment of God's Good Kingdom on Earth. The Bible, and Jewish Apocalypticism, does not predict the end of the world, it predicts the end of an evil world and the beginning of a righteous world. You might think of it as a "return to Eden" where people are free to worship and live in communion and perfect harmony with God and God's influence is ever present as it was according to the Genesis story of Eden.

People have gotten this wrong for centuries, so don't feel bad. But one must understand that an apocalypticist today is not what an apocalypticist was in antiquity. Today we think of an apocalypticist as a crazy guy on the corner with a bullhorn shouting "Beware, beware...the end is near!". That person is nuts and is sending a message of fear and impending destruction. In antiquity, an apocalypticist was doing the opposite. They were sending a message of hope and reassurance. Their message was "very soon, the wicked will be punished and you will be rewarded for your faith...so hang in there and don't give up."

Yes, often the Biblical descriptions are rife with death and destruction for the wicked, but much of that is done for the purpose of making a political statement and the reassurance that "those who are persecuting us now are going to get what is coming to them". In the end, God wins and the world is reborn very much like the descriptions of Eden; think of how New Jerusalem is described in Revelation.

So can both theists and atheists PLEASE give the "end of the world" crap a rest. That's not what the Bible is talking about.

Thank you. Now if one can add in that (human aka red earth) each can know that in God's time their time will also come. The kingdom is within it is up to each individual to search this out.

"It is about the end of the "present age" (aka the "evil age") and the beginning of the "future age" or the establishment of God's Good Kingdom on Earth"

Thank you. Now if one can add in that (human aka red earth) each can know that in God's time their time will also come. The kingdom is within it is up to each individual to search this out.

"It is about the end of the "present age" (aka the "evil age") and the beginning of the "future age" or the establishment of God's Good Kingdom on Earth"

Yeah I will agree to that. I think the kingdom of God exists within and can be found every day and in every moment. But I am far less convinced that's what the Biblical authors were referring to. John of Patmos, for example, in Revelation sure as heck wasn't saying God's kingdom is found within. He was saying "down with Caesar, Rome will fall, and they are going to get what is coming to them and Christians will emerge as the dominant force". Well....guess what...he was right. :lol: it didn't happen in QUITE the way he predicted and certainly his timetable was WAY off and his predicted end result didn't come to pass (or maybe it did)....but at the end of the day, what he said would happen eventually happened to some degree. But that's a whole other line of discussion.

I would agree...God's good kingdom can be found today by every person with a simple choice.....but I don't think that's what the authors were getting at.

Let me follow up on something with a word about the prophets. When I say "the prophets" I mean the authors of the Bible who wrote prophetic/ap[ocalyptic literature.

When we read the Bible today we tend to read it very reverently. The language seems beautiful and old so we assume that their tone of voice when they wrote was calm, wise, and thoughtful. That's NOT who the prophets were. They may have been wise and thoughtful but they sure as hell were not calm. :lol:

Imagine yourself having some friends over for dinner and a few glasses of wine. You might discuss the state of the world and you might all shake your heads in disappointment and talk rationally about things you don't agree with. But through it all it's measured and calm with a hint of frustration. Ok...these guys weren't like that. These guys were screaming at the top of their lungs.

Imagine a couple years back when there was the Wall Street protests. Now imagine a really rowdy one where fights broke out and people were really getting out of control. Now imagine the guy holding the bullhorn at that rally shouting slogans and inciting the people to rise up and kick ass against the establishment. THAT GUY was the prophets. It wasn't even Paul Begala or Bill O'Reilly who has a show on TV and calmly argues a point. NO...the prophets were the demonstration leaders screaming through their bullhorns.

In order to understand the Biblical apocalyptic literature, one must really understand the perspectives of the authors.

So I have seen a lot of threads, usually posted by atheists, harping about end of the world prophecies by people relying upon the Bible. Let's clarify some misunderstandings. What the Bible refers to is Jewish Apocalypticism. This is what is written about in such Old Testament texts as Daniel and Zechariah. There are many apocalyptic sayings attributed to Jesus in the gospels. Paul's letters are very apocalyptic and Revelation is totally apocalyptic.

The first thing that both atheists and theists need to understand is that Jewish apocalypticism as discussed in the Bible is NOT about the end of the world. It is about the end of the "present age" (aka the "evil age") and the beginning of the "future age" or the establishment of God's Good Kingdom on Earth. The Bible, and Jewish Apocalypticism, does not predict the end of the world, it predicts the end of an evil world and the beginning of a righteous world. You might think of it as a "return to Eden" where people are free to worship and live in communion and perfect harmony with God and God's influence is ever present as it was according to the Genesis story of Eden.

People have gotten this wrong for centuries, so don't feel bad. But one must understand that an apocalypticist today is not what an apocalypticist was in antiquity. Today we think of an apocalypticist as a crazy guy on the corner with a bullhorn shouting "Beware, beware...the end is near!". That person is nuts and is sending a message of fear and impending destruction. In antiquity, an apocalypticist was doing the opposite. They were sending a message of hope and reassurance. Their message was "very soon, the wicked will be punished and you will be rewarded for your faith...so hang in there and don't give up."

Yes, often the Biblical descriptions are rife with death and destruction for the wicked, but much of that is done for the purpose of making a political statement and the reassurance that "those who are persecuting us now are going to get what is coming to them". In the end, God wins and the world is reborn very much like the descriptions of Eden; think of how New Jerusalem is described in Revelation.

So can both theists and atheists PLEASE give the "end of the world" crap a rest. That's not what the Bible is talking about.
Harry Potter was a better story :thup:

Granny says it's the last days...

... all ye lefty-lib'ral, gay-supportin' terrorist-sympathizin, Bible-hatin'...

... yankee media types better get right with God...

... or ya gonna end up inna fire an' brimstone.

When did Southerners become moral?

Yeah I will agree to that. I think the kingdom of God exists within and can be found every day and in every moment. But I am far less convinced that's what the Biblical authors were referring to. John of Patmos, for example, in Revelation sure as heck wasn't saying God's kingdom is found within. He was saying "down with Caesar, Rome will fall, and they are going to get what is coming to them and Christians will emerge as the dominant force". Well....guess what...he was right. :lol: it didn't happen in QUITE the way he predicted and certainly his timetable was WAY off and his predicted end result didn't come to pass (or maybe it did)....but at the end of the day, what he said would happen eventually happened to some degree. But that's a whole other line of discussion.

I would agree...God's good kingdom can be found today by every person with a simple choice.....but I don't think that's what the authors were getting at.

Just watch'n the video for those who will be spiritually in hell; very graphic.

images

I thought this was another one of those progressive, atheist supported, global warming we're all going to die soon apocalyptic threads.

My mistake... Carry on.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:smile:

I heard jesus' followers were disappointed that the end didn't come in their lifetime or in 2 3 and 4 generations later. Martin Luther was sure the end was coming in his lifetime.
And people today are sure it's near. Same with people 1000 years from now. Eventually they'll be right.

I like your story better. God will take away all the sinners and you and your clan will run free in the woods where free range animals will be plentiful and all that we eat.

Would we still have cell phones and internet? What about jobs?

Harry Potter was a better story :thup:
Why didn't God just do this "end of days" crap instead of drown everyone back in Noah's day? Seems God could have skipped the Noah scene and cut to the getting rid of the sinners and a glorious return to a garden of edin. Let theists explain this away.

Forum List

Back