Dems Take Issue with Indiana's New Voter I.D. Law

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
For Dems, No Luck in the Cards
By Dan Carpenter, The Indianapolis Star
May 4, 2005

Behind and above all the noise about integrity, fraud, rights and responsibilities, Indiana's new voter ID law has a familiar ring to Chandler Davidson. The Rice University sociology professor emeritus has been studying so-called ballot security efforts for decades, and keeps coming away with two resounding themes:

• Challenges to individuals at the polling place are a Republican tactic that reduces participation by the sort of people who vote for Democrats.

• Vote fraud, invoked as justification for ID cards and similar measures, has never been documented as a significant problem in any state, for all the anecdotes and folklore surrounding it.

"I really believe there's a stereotyping of inner-city people and Democrats," Davidson said in a telephone interview. "That's not to suggest there isn't fraud from time to time with these groups, as there is with white people in the suburbs and Republicans. It's an equal opportunity game. But I'm not sure it's as widespread as often thought.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050504/OPINION/505040365/1039

Adam's Apple said:
• Vote fraud, invoked as justification for ID cards and similar measures, has never been documented as a significant problem in any state, for all the anecdotes and folklore surrounding it.

Until the WA governor's race in 2004, that is.

Good for IN. I hope all states take similar reform.

My polling place in TX required me to produce a photo ID. I think its an excellent idea.

I am very happy that we now have that law on the books in Indiana. I see no reason not to ask people to prove who they say they are before they are given the privilege of voting. I'm all for it.

As for your Chandler Davidson quote, GopJeff, when I read what he said about voter fraud being insignificant, I wondered where he had been living during the last two presidential elections. Before the last president election between Kerry and Gore, we were getting reports of voter fraud almost daily, and it was not from just one state but many.

I'm getting so sick of the Dems crying every time we try to tighten poll security. What are they hiding. Do a large portion of their votes come from felons, illegals, and dead people. If so, they should probably try to appeal to a broader voter base.

In CO among the "Identification" you can use to identify yourself at the polls are:

A Utility Bill with your name and Address, if they are the same as those you registered with. (I have a friend that got his phone service about a billion years ago under the name of "Alan N. Archy" shown in the phone book with first and middle initial only A. N. Archy, I wonder if he could vote twice if he bothered to use it to register).

A Birth Certificate (This is public domain, anybody can go get a copy of anybody else's Birth Certificate, including those of dead people).

I didn't realize until a couple of weeks ago that anyone in the United States could vote without a picture I.D. and voter registration card. I never have been able to and I have been voting for, well, lets just say a lot of years. (I do remember politicians going house to house and paying fifty cents for a promise of your vote though.)

If you are willing to sell your vote, I guess there is no way to protect against that. A picture I.D. will not protect the process from those who would sell their votes. But paying for votes is a risky business. There's always the chance that the "patsys" just might take your money and vote how they want to anyway.

Adam's Apple said:
If you are willing to sell your vote, I guess there is no way to protect against that. A picture I.D. will not protect the process from those who would sell their votes. But paying for votes is a risky business. There's always the chance that the "patsys" just might take your money and vote how they want to anyway.

You're right. Paying for a promise for a vote don't mean they got it.

Now if we could convince the Dems of that, we could save them a lot of money. :tng:

People should be required to register to vote. How hard is this when it can be done at the local drivers license branch?

As far as "people most likely to vote Dem. won't have an photo ID", it's a drivers license folks!!

The Dems. complain all the time about votor fraud and then they want just anyone to be able to walk in and vote without proof that they

1. Didn't already vote somewhere else.
2. Arn't who they say they are.

Where's the logic here..cause I must have missed it.

Attach legislation to the Real ID act to cover the polling concerns, at the federal level at least.

I am very happy that we now have that law on the books in Indiana. I see no reason not to ask people to prove who they say they are before they are given the privilege of voting. I'm all for it.

As for your Chandler Davidson quote, GopJeff, when I read what he said about voter fraud being insignificant, I wondered where he had been living during the last two presidential elections. Before the last president election between Kerry and Gore, we were getting reports of voter fraud almost daily, and it was not from just one state but many.
....And, it was all.....

....even this long, ago.....

eusa_doh.gif

Stupid Fuckin' Teabaggers

Forum List

Back