Dems stood by during shivo case

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by manu1959, Oct 24, 2005.

1. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    "Dean said Republicans should not have interfered in the Terri Schiavo right-to-life case."

never lifted a finger huh?

2. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    And, he was correct. The autopsy bore out what her physicians and husband had said all along...She was in a persistent vegetative state as a result of massive and irreversible brain damage. It was found that she was also blind. - <a href=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8225637/>MSNBC</a>

3. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    A sad case indeed. Her family wanted her to live regardless of that fact for their own religious reasons. I would not want to live under such circumstance and I am glad that my wife would be able to make those decisions for me at that time. Personally I think that personal and state rights were upheld in the end, but they were under seige. I cannot imagine if somebody had sued to keep my father's body alive after I had made the decision to shut off the machines. Dad wasn't there, he wouldn't want to be a burden financially or emotionally.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    The point of the whole story was that a) Michael Shiavo seemed to want her to stay alive until he met a euthenasia activist lawyer and b) Michael Shiavo wouldn't let anybody but the physician he hired examine her.

If Michael Shiavo had let Terri's parents' doctor give a second opinion, on their dollar, and it came up that she was beyond help, I don't think it would've been as much of an issue. I also think it would have been better to actually go ahead with something less painful (in case he was, I dunno, WRONG about the state of the least understood organ of the body) than frickin' starvation. The Nazis used that for people who live incineration was too good for. I still think he's hinding something.

5. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    She...couldn't....feel....pain......?

6. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hammesfahr#Terri_Schiavo>Dr. Willaim Hammesfahr</a>,The doctor Terri's parents had retained, had been reprimanded, several times, by Florida's state medical board for ethics complaints, and he is listed on <a href=http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/>qwackwatch.org</a> as "a promoter of questionable methods".

So, Terri was examined by outside physicians including Dr. William Cheshire, who examined her at the request of Florida's APS, who concluded she was not suffering from PVS. His conclusion, however was considered suspect by many. And, as we all know, his conclusions as to Terri's condition were shown to be utterly wrong by the autopsy. It should also be noted that Senator Bill "Video Diagnosis" Frist was also shown to be wrong.

And finally, Terri DID NOT "starve to death". Her body simply shut down once the feeding tube was finally, and mercifully, removed. She felt no pain...she did not suffer...she passed peacefully. The only pain and suffering was the result of unwarranted legislative interference on the part of both Florida's legislature and Congress.

And BTW, your Nazi reference is simply so much bullshit.

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    What the hell is a "euthenasia lawyer"?

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Yeah, and all those old folks in NO were incapable of getting themselves out so f*ck 'em. :wtf:

Just depends on where you want to draw the line on who is and is not allowed to live.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    accessory to suicide?

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    No, don't think so. Then again maybe the board is creating a new specialty in the Legal field.