Dems should be very happy with Afghanistan policy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by txlonghorn, Dec 2, 2009.

1. txlonghorn

txlonghorn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Skeptical Dems resign themselves to Obama war plan - Yahoo! News

But instead, they have to "resign" themselves to the plan set in motion.

Seems like they win the battle, so to speak, as our brilliant military minds have concluded that we will tell them when we're coming, how many are coming and when they will be leaving.

Why don't we just NOT go? What good is it doing us to give the enemy ALL the information they need to make their plans to defeat the infidels?

Obama has killed no birds with one stone. He got support from the right for sending troops and he got support from the left for bringing them home in a year and half. By the way, a year and a half is not nearly enough time to beat back the taliban, much less teach the Afghans how to protect themselves.

But it was a very well delivered speech. You can at least credit the silver tongued master for his ability to read well.

I just wish it made sense.

2. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    It's the same story from the Democrats. Nothing has changed. We must set a schedule and we must let the entire world know what it is. And to hell with it if the enemy knows all our plans. It's only fair after all.

I've never been so glad to say I am US Army RETIRED.

3. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,167
    The far right is not happy with the time line. The far left is not happy that we are sending more troops. The center seems to be pleased. Is Obama finally approaching the moderate stance we thought he was going to pursue?

4. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    Or else he's alienated anyone paying attention to what he's doing.

5. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,167
    I don't think he really had a choice. Time will tell how this comes out. We need to crush Quida and the Taliban quickly though. Pakistan is a huge player in all this. I hope he takes that into account.

6. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,151
    I love the hyperbole used by the OP and Ollie. So, Obama has given AQ and the Taliban ALL of our plans?
    What are they - beyond the obvious, number of troops and a tentative date to begin removal? Both of which, btw, are not set in stone.
    You guys crack me up. Or maybe I'm all wrong. Did both of you attend a military academy and war college? Please accept my apology which I will tender after reading your CV's and more detail on everything that will be done in Afghanistan.

7. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    IF you were surprised or shcoked by this news and the "plan", then you are dumber than a box or rocks. What Obama told the world and yes, the Taliban, was no secret. So, what exactly are you whining about? Please tell me YOU are not retired military....

8. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Folks who have REALLY served in the military realize:

1) It's not a "secret" to anyone when you move in 30,000 troops

2) If the military and political objectives are secured, then opponents who have been "hiding out and waiting to spring back into action the second the U.S. leaves" will emerge from their spider holes to find a very different environment - an environment that does not tolerate their usual activities.

3) If the military and political objectives have NOT been secured, the withdrawal deadline will be adjusted.

I STILL disagree with the decision - but jeez, let's keep the discussion real anyway.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  9. ☭proletarian☭

☭proletarian☭ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do people really think that increasing our presence in the region will make them less inclined to kill Americans?

10. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    No - the objective right now is NOT to get them to stop shooting at us. Right NOW the objective is to kill a whole lot more of them than they kill of us so they will not be in a position to shelter terrorist organizations in the future or at the very least, make them think very long and very hard about it in the future.

And THAT is what will save American lives. We believe there are some things that are worth risking lives for.

The Taliban response: "This will mean the death of more Americans." makes me want to respond, "Yeah, maybe. But it's gonna mean the death of a WHOLE LOT MORE of you guys."

Don't try to scare us or intimidate us into doing what you want. You won't like the results you get.

And THIS is coming from a guy who opposes the decision.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009