Democrats and Republicans are one

"'Show me who makes a profit from war, and I’ll show you how to stop the war.' – Henry Ford"

Ain't that the friggin' truth!

"'Show me who makes a profit from war, and I’ll show you how to stop the war.' – Henry Ford"

I think Henry got that one exactly right.
And it isn't only the investor class that profits from war.
There are millions of middle class jobs in the US dependent on "defense" spending.

There are millions of middle class jobs in the US dependent on "defense" spending.

Could be called an 'addiction'.

No surprise that the pentagon is "too big to audit".

Possibly a fatal addiction if Einstein and Russell were correct about the stark, and dreadful, and inescapable choice confronting humanity: namely either mankind exterminates warfare, or vice versa.

Well I wouldn't say "they are one" exactly.

Except perhaps in the same way that the the Cripes and the Bloods are one.

From my perspective it's not. There's no natural 'yin and yang' that requires both parties to pursue the same policies. There is real dysfunction in the structure of our government that keeps the status quo in place.
Would you say that dysfunction is class based?

Class based how? I would say it's a constitutional issue.
Are they mutually exclusive?
My limited understanding of US History has led me to believe class played a prominent part in the creation of the US Constitution?

My limited understanding of US History has led me to believe class played a prominent part in the creation of the US Constitution?

Of course it did.

The US Constitution was a series of compromises mostly involving the needs of the ARISTO CLASS that made up the majorority of signers.

In fact including the BILL OF RIGHTS was one of those compromises.

But George, you probably also know that one of the most cherished myths of the States is that we have no CLASSES in this nation.

You and I could spend the next ten years citing examples of class and classism in US history and society and STILL those who choose to cling to that cherished myth could not be convinced.

There are none so blind as those who will not see, mate.

Well, I'm still not sure what you mean by 'class-based' dysfunction. We are, increasingly, legislating toward group rights and class-based privilege. Equal protection is widely disregarded and everybody gets a 'different deal', depending on how much influence they can exert over government. To me, that is, very fundamentally, a 'class-based' dysfunction. But I suspect you have something different in mind?

Sorry, the middle class is not getting to share in the fruits of war loot. They haven't had a raise in years. Trickle down was a cruel joke on American workers.

both parties work for the same interests= big money (Multi national corporations, defense industrial [TAX PAYER FUNDED] complex co's, foreign lobbies, banksters, Big Pharma, Agri biz, etc...

They have to because there is no other way for a candidate to get elected but to have big money supporting them, but I don't agree that the parties are the same.

True that the parties switched, and some racist Democrats became Republicans when the Democratic party started supporting Civil Rights. Republicans claim they are the ones that started civil rights, but the legislation they called civil rights was nothing, but watered down policies that didn't amount to much. It wasn't until Kennedy/Johnson that some "real" Civil Rights were passed.

Today, it is evident that the Republican Party supports policies that benefit the wealthy while Democrats support policies that benefit the poor and underprivileged. Republicans (many of them) want to base our laws on Christianity when our nation is comprised of many religions and our own Constitution protects that freedom.

So no, even though we have crooked people in both parties, and we accuse each other of doing the same evil deeds, there is still some differences, and I could never vote Republican.

Neither party is for "big government".
Our political representtives are too busy lining their own pockets and making sure that they have what they want to worry about anyone but themselves.

Neither party is for "big government".
Our political representtives are too busy lining their own pockets and making sure that they have what they want to worry about anyone but themselves.

Same thing.

Using current events and facts to blame or defend one of the parties is really a naively shortsighted activity. Both are one, the differences are limited to the details. Republicans blame what they call "Obama care" ignoring that this simple compulsory insurance was introduced before by the Republicans in an US state. This example should be enough to demonstrate the madness of this pseudo-competitive tandem.

ahoy Bleipriester,

well said matey.

i mean, i certainly credit conservatives fer the creation 'o the Affordable Care Act.

i do think thar be differences between the parties, mostly in which swabbies they'd pick fer SCOTUS and which projects the prefer to spend taxpayer monies on, but aye, they're pretty similar.

thats how Americans like it, though.

aye.

- MeadHallPirate

ps - i've also found, at least from the forum i hailed from, that folks like to say "a pox on both parties!", but then busily launch mighty salvos at only the Democratic Party.

Last edited:
i've also found, at least from the forum i hailed from, that folks like to say "a pox on both parties!", but then busily launch mighty salvos at only the Democratic Party.

Could that be because they're currently the party in power?

Well, I'm still not sure what you mean by 'class-based' dysfunction. We are, increasingly, legislating toward group rights and class-based privilege. Equal protection is widely disregarded and everybody gets a 'different deal', depending on how much influence they can exert over government. To me, that is, very fundamentally, a 'class-based' dysfunction. But I suspect you have something different in mind?
This is what I mean by class:

"
“From the end of the recession in 2009 through 2011 (the last year for which Census Bureau wealth data are available), the 8 million households in the U.S. with a net worth above $836,033 saw their aggregate wealth rise by an estimated $5.6 trillion, while the 111 million households with a net worth at or below that level saw their aggregate wealth decline by an estimated $600 billion.” Pew Research, An Uneven Recovery, by Richard Fry & Paul Taylor."

Sibel Edmonds' Boiling Frogs Post | Home of the Irate Minority

Do these figures sound accurate to you?

This is what I mean by class:

"
“From the end of the recession in 2009 through 2011 (the last year for which Census Bureau wealth data are available), the 8 million households in the U.S. with a net worth above $836,033 saw their aggregate wealth rise by an estimated $5.6 trillion, while the 111 million households with a net worth at or below that level saw their aggregate wealth decline by an estimated $600 billion.” Pew Research, An Uneven Recovery, by Richard Fry & Paul Taylor."

Sibel Edmonds' Boiling Frogs Post | Home of the Irate Minority

Do these figures sound accurate to you?

I suppose. But I reject the notion that government should be empowered to decide winners and losers in the economy. To be sure, we should not be indulging policy that favors any segment of society over another. But that goes both ways, eh?

i've also found, at least from the forum i hailed from, that folks like to say "a pox on both parties!", but then busily launch mighty salvos at only the Democratic Party.

Could that be because they're currently the party in power?

ahoy Dblack,

hah, perhaps matey.

*muses*

based on the legislation that hath been passed under Mr. Obama, i've seen little evidence that the party in power be the Democrats, though.

edit - i do think thar were some ill advised dispersion 'o monies to green tech durin' the stimulus, but thats about it, matey.

- MeadHallPirate

Forum List

Back