Could You Be a Terrorist?

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
Is there anything you'd be willing to commit an act of terror in order to achieve? I'm thinking along the lines of detonating a bomb in a crowded place in order to start the process of instigating change. Be as explicit or vague as you like, but please include a 'yes' or 'no' answer to the central question.

In the not-too-distant future I think there's going to be serious bloodshed in Europe over the rise of Islamism and the E.U., and I'd support and contribute to that violence if it meant collective action would topple the E.U. and weaken the spread of Islam.

I don't think terrorism actually works, so no.

In fact, I think domestic terrorists not only fail to effect the changes they want, I think they empower the oppressive governments they so fear.

In fact, I think domestic terrorists not only fail to effect the changes they want, I think they empower the oppressive governments they so fear.

How so? Drafting emergency measures that stay on the books after the crisis had passed?

How so? Drafting emergency measures that stay on the books after the crisis had passed?

Yes and they give the oppressive government an excuse to be even more brutal, look at Chechnya for instance. The Russians used chemical weapons there and basically turned that place into a parking lot and rebuilt it to their own liking.

Attack an essential enemy target at most (if that), but bomb defenseless folk for some cause or to make a point? That's not human.

I can't think of a single reason to employ such a cowardly act. If my reasoning is that I want to change an issue, it seems the wrong way to actually achieve the final goal. You might get a few converts to your side, but far more enemies.

Is there anything you'd be willing to commit an act of terror in order to achieve? I'm thinking along the lines of detonating a bomb in a crowded place in order to start the process of instigating change. Be as explicit or vague as you like, but please include a 'yes' or 'no' answer to the central question.

In the not-too-distant future I think there's going to be serious bloodshed in Europe over the rise of Islamism and the E.U., and I'd support and contribute to that violence if it meant collective action would topple the E.U. and weaken the spread of Islam.

Who the fuk knows what political evolution might happen in Europe. If you are talking about an act of terrorism to promote political change in the US you might consult with living former terrorists like Bill Ayers, Bernadine Dohrn and Kathy Boudin otherwise the question is insulting.

Attack an essential enemy target at most (if that), but bomb defenseless folk for some cause or to make a point? That's not human.

Trade embargoes and blockades persecute and kill innocent and defenseless folk to make a point, too. Are they inhumane?

The old curveball, from could you be a terrorist to could you be a President that approves its countries power of force to embargo a rouge nation.

Apple vs. Orange.

ginormous & EXTREMELY costly, Orwellian agencies like DHS?

As to the OP, brings to mind the N. Irish. plus perhaps some of the colonial, revolutionaries (non-royalists) in the U.S.

I would have to put an ideal above my own welfare so I would be hard pressed to do that ESPECIALLY if it was religion-based as I'm a card carrying secular humanist :cool:

Last edited:

Trade embargoes and blockades persecute and kill innocent and defenseless folk to make a point, too. Are they inhumane?

Embargoes could have an inhumane effect, though probably less than military confrontation and war.

'Inhuman' is not synonymous with 'inhumane', if by some chance that is the point.

Embargoes could have an inhumane effect, though probably less than military confrontation and war.

'Inhuman' is not synonymous with 'inhumane', if by some chance that is the point.

I might add also that a terrorist attacks without negotiation. I would hazard a guess that this is not the case with embargoes.

'
I am sure our rulers are working tirelessly to extend the meaning of the word "terrorist" and re-define it so that it can be applied to the entire population of a country.

At that point, the triumphant progress of modern "civilization" to Orwell's 1984 will be complete.

Both the 19th century anarchists and the IRA tried assassination as a tactic --- the anarchists successfully killed 8 royalty or heads of state including an American president. Both ALSO tried on what we are now calling terrorism, which is basically bombs thrown into crowds, one way or another.

Assassination might make a yucky kind of sense, but terrorism against anonymous crowds makes no sense.

It has never made any sense, and it doesn't work. Terrorism in this sense is not the same as guerrilla tactics against an occupying power, such as the British in Palestine.

Just throwing bombs into crowds?

WHY???

No, of course I wouldn't do it. I can't understand why anyone does it and I suspect that they are pretty much all crazy people. Is there REALLY any difference between school shooters and the Fort Hood/Boston Bomber types, except that the latter yell "allahu ackbar"? They are all still crazy and their acts are pointless and achieve nothing.

Last edited:
No. I can't relate to how a person could have a conscience and knowingly detonate an explosive device that could mame and kill innocent bystanders...especially children.

No, to kill maim or terrorize innocent people and children is something I just do not have in me. To fight for a cause, to put my life on the line for what I believe in, to be willing to die or face an enemy in combat that is something I can do.

I am not totally comfortable with the subject matter.

But for the love of god, pick targets that make military sense and will not anger the population at you.

Our Islamic brothern are in a special situation where the fundamentalists are (hopefully) having a last grasp at power before the internet and mass communication educate their masses. Imagine Christianity six hundred years ago.

ahoy Swagger,

under ordinary circumstances?

nay, i don't think so, matey. thar be too much monies to be made, herb to be smoked, sushi to be consumed and adventures to be had to spend me life tryin' to terrorize and destabilize any people, foreign or domestic.

*paces a bit and chews on a piece 'o hardtack*

then again, if a country blew me family to pieces with a drone strike or a bombin', i can see dedicatin' me life to exact a measure 'o revenge.

i'd reckon that would involve keelhaulin' a few folk.

*nod nod*

- MeadHallPirate

ahoy Swagger,

under ordinary circumstances?

nay, i don't think so, matey. thar be too much monies to be made, herb to be smoked, sushi to be consumed and adventures to be had to spend me life tryin' to terrorize and destabilize any people, foreign or domestic.

*paces a bit and chews on a piece 'o hardtack*

then again, if a country blew me family to pieces with a drone strike or a bombin', i can see dedicatin' me life to exact a measure 'o revenge.

i'd reckon that would involve keelhaulin' a few folk.

*nod nod*

- MeadHallPirate

You're awesome man...Waltky has some competition.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Forum List

Back