Defending our Flag from America Haters

No,Definitely not, what other political speech do you want to outlaw?

Burning a flag that belongs to all of us, isn't mere political speech. It's desecration of property. What other desecrations would you support? How about taking a hammer to the Lincoln Monument, or the Martin Luther King monument. Hey... political speech, right?
If the flag is the personal property of the one who is burning it, who cares. If the flag is not his then arrest him for destruction of public property.

You know, I spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy, defending this country and all the rights that we enjoy.

One of them was free speech, which is protected under the 1st Amendment. If you want to burn or deface the U.S. flag, that is your right under the 1st, for free speech.

However........................

I ALSO have the right to free speech, and have the right to tell you what I think of your little demonstration in no uncertain words.

Do I like it when people deface the flag? Of course not, I defended it for 20 years through 4 war zones.

Will I stop someone from exercising their free speech? Of course not. I defended it for 20 years through 4 war zones.

Thank you.

You know, I spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy, defending this country and all the rights that we enjoy.

One of them was free speech, which is protected under the 1st Amendment. If you want to burn or deface the U.S. flag, that is your right under the 1st, for free speech.

I ALSO have the right to free speech, and have the right to tell you what I think of your little demonstration in no uncertain words.

Do I like it when people deface the flag? Of course not, I defended it for 20 years through 4 war zones.

Will I stop someone from exercising their free speech? Of course not. I defended it for 20 years through 4 war zones.

How many times did I hear my son, also a 20-year veteran, say this to me? Not sure how to accurately say this, but from a "military" standpoint Sailor is right. Sailor can correct me on this where I'm wrong. The military serves and defends ALL Americans and the freedoms we have under the Constitution. Personal opinions (including Sailor's disagreement with flag burning) don't count for much when you're in the military - you follow orders. They stand at attention and salute their CinC ... they may be THINKING "You sorry SOB," but they'll never say it or display it.

The people who most hate and revile our military are the leftists who are beneficiaries of all the things these military personnel fight for, die for, come home wounded and broken for. Their egregious words and actions go to lack of character, lack of gratitude, misguided "knowledge" ... and an abundance of cowardice.

Thank you, Sailor, and all the rest of you veterans, for your service ... and protecting and defending my right to my opinion no matter how right or wrong that opinion might be.

How many times did I hear my son, also a 20-year veteran, say this to me? Not sure how to accurately say this, but from a "military" standpoint Sailor is right. Sailor can correct me on this where I'm wrong. The military serves and defends ALL Americans and the freedoms we have under the Constitution. Personal opinions (including Sailor's disagreement with flag burning) don't count for much when you're in the military - you follow orders. They stand at attention and salute their CinC ... they may be THINKING "You sorry SOB," but they'll never say it or display it.

The people who most hate and revile our military are the leftists who are beneficiaries of all the things these military personnel fight for, die for, come home wounded and broken for. Their egregious words and actions go to lack of character, lack of gratitude, misguided "knowledge" ... and an abundance of cowardice.

Thank you, Sailor, and all the rest of you veterans, for your service ... and protecting and defending my right to my opinion no matter how right or wrong that opinion might be.

Great post and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Burning a flag that belongs to all of us, isn't mere political speech. It's desecration of property.
Property is sacred?

What's the word for those who worship property?
Kiwi, why do you want to burn the American flag? What was the last time Americans were burning the Kiwi flag? Can you burn the Kiwi flag in Auckland or you get arrested for it?
I wonder what happens if people just walk in to your house in New Zealand and start taking shit from you what considered to be your property. There are no laws protecting your property?

So if I want to burn the US flag it's ok but I cannot have a confederate flag? If a flag means nothing then why the double standard?

Nothing says freedom like the right to burn a flag

Those who seek to criminalize it have no concept of what the flag means

Would you rather live in a country that allows you to burn the flag or one that will arrest you for it?

If you think the flag is merely a piece of cloth, then you're an idiot. Find another country to live in.
Can you see my location? Are you an idiot?

If the answer to the first question is 'yes', so is the answer to the second.
so curious, when the American flag is raised during the medals ceremony, do you go out and burn one to show your distaste at them supporting the country and its flag? Men died for that honor and you would shit on their graves. If you are one of those persons, then you have no honor.

Nothing says freedom like the right to burn a flag

Those who seek to criminalize it have no concept of what the flag means

Those who wish to burn it have no honor and truly don't understand the sacrifices. You can't spin it charlie.

BTW, are you nauseated from watching the flag go up so often on TV? Sick to the stomach feeling?

I agree it is disgusting to burn the American flag, but at the same time it lets us know who the real pieces of shit are: progressives.
In the Boy Scouts we had rallies to burn flags..

Are you just being partially truthful here? Did you have rallies to just desecrate the flag for the hell of it ... or were they burned in a proper flag burning ceremony in connection with the VFW organization?

Would you rather live in a country that allows you to burn the flag or one that will arrest you for it?
I'd rather see it honored for the sacrifices 618,000 men and women made during the civil war. Plus the 400,000 that went to Europe, the 58,000+ for vietnam. yeah, locked up for being traitors. I can't see any other way to look at it, except that it is a traitorous action.

BTW, you seem to think there isn't a ceiling on free speech. LOL. What is hate crime then? See I find it more vile than hate crime. I'd prefer they were executed for the treasonous behavior, or they can leave.

All one has to do is watch the young Americans proudly standing on a podium representing their country and competing to win for their country. Their effort isn't for a flag burning traitor.

Last edited:
There's a proper way to dispose of the American flag ... if you want to burn the flag turn it in to your local VFW, reserve station or recruiting station. The flag burning we saw during the Vietnam War was out of hatred and disrespect for the military and the country - and it's still the same. The great anti-war demonstrations were not the "peace, not war" sentiment but rather a draft dodging action in which radicals weren't going to put themselves in danger and so many of them fled to Canada to avoid the draft.

Forum List

Back