"Deep Throat" revealed...maybe

Jimmyeatworld

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2004
America
It looks like "Deep Throat" has come forward. Ok, get your mind out of the gutter. This is the Watergate informant.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/richard_nixon

NEW YORK - A former FBI official claims he was "Deep Throat," the long-anonymous source who leaked secrets about President Nixon's Watergate coverup to The Washington Post, Vanity Fair reported Tuesday. W. Mark Felt, 91, who was second-in-command at the FBI in the early 1970s, kept the secret even from his family until 2002, when he confided to a friend that he had been Post reporter Bob Woodward's source, the magazine said.

BUT...is it really him.

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000938762

NEW YORK He has long been a front-runner, and according to an article in the latest Vanity Fair magazine, former FBI official W. Mark Felt is indeed legendary Watergate source "Deep Throat."

The July issue of magazine reports that Felt, now 91, and living in Santa Rosa, Calif., "has told friends and intimates that he was the confidential inside source of Watergate fame." Felt reportedly gave writer John D. O'Connor permission to disclose his identity.

"The Felt family cooperated fully," Vanity Fair stated in a press release, but were not paid. O'Connor writes that Felt told him "on several occasons" that "I'm the guy they used to call Deep Throat."

Contacted by E&P, former Washington Post reporter Carl Bernstein, who with Bob Woodward relied on the man dubbed 'Deep Throat' for crucial advice in their Watergate sleuthing, would neither confirm of deny Felt was the source, and said that the Woodward-Bernstein team would not change its stance.

"I think people are jumping up and down about this, but we have nothing to say other than what we have said which is when the individual dies, we will disclose his identity," he said. "Other sources have released us from pledges, but nothing has happened that could change that in these circumstances."

The offices of Woodward and former Post editor Ben Bradlee told E&P they would have no comment.

"There have been numerous books and articles and speculation in journalism classes devoted to Deep Throat," Bernstein told E&P, when contacted at his Manhattan office. "When the individual dies, we will disclose his identity. We have always said the same thing. We do not go into any detail about it, not to play games, but to protect the source."

Asked if he was aware of the Vanity Fair article prior to its publication or had spoken with Felt, Bernstein declined comment. He also declined comment when asked directly if Felt was Deep Throat. "I'm not going to go beyond this," he said. "I've said what I am going to say."

When asked if this report was different than most past reports on Deep Throat's identity because it involved alleged commments by the famed anonymous source, Bernstein said, "That is not exactly true," but declined to elaborate further.

In the article, O'Connor reports that Felt's children, Joan and Mark Jr., urged him to go public after he revealed his secret to them in 2002. Felt argued with them, O'Connor writes, saying he didn't want the story out there.

“I don’t think [being Deep Throat] was anything to be proud of,” Felt said to his son, Mark Jr., at one point, according to the article. “You [should] not leak information to anyone.”

I wonder if Pat Buchanan has taken his name of the list of people thought to be Bernstein and Woodward's guy! (He is the only one of 7 who declined to comment when asked....the other 6 issued denials....it was a university study to try and determine the identity of the person who leaked.....)

If you google Buchanan and Deep Throat...you will find links to the study (more like a class project)

I just wished that they had given a different name to the "leak"...

Everytime I see "Deep Throat" I think of a Pron Flick from the 70's....

dilloduck said:
can you expound?

I'm just thinking, why, after all these years and agreeing (I assume) to let his identity be known only after he died, I mean he knew this was the deal, what would be his motivation for breaking it?

theim said:

I don't know why he would lie, but it does seem odd that Bernstein doesn't go ahead and say it's him if it really is him. Of course, the guy is 91 years old and didn't even say anything to anyone in his family until three years ago. He could just be off his rocker.

theim said:
I'm just thinking, why, after all these years and agreeing (I assume) to let his identity be known only after he died, I mean he knew this was the deal, what would be his motivation for breaking it?

Just to play devils advocate, it has been over 30 years. There could be any number of reasons why he would change his mind. Howeve, if it is him and he did change his mind, it makes me think the first people he would contact would be Woodward and Bernstein.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Just to play devils advocate, it has been over 30 years. There could be any number of reasons why he would change his mind. Howeve, if it is him and he did change his mind, it makes me think the first people he would contact would be Woodward and Bernstein.

I'm betting we will find out one way or the other real soon. Not something that's gonna mess up my dinner plans or anything but some dirt would be cool.

I don't believe it. Like mentioned, the source will be revealed when he dies. I read the study no1 referred to and I watched a show on Discovery/History or one of them channels a while back. I agree that PB fits the bill better than anybody and based on the fact he is NOT really "loved" by the GOP, I would bet it is him. I think this guy is just suffering from old age. But hey, who knows but W&B and the NYT's (and of course, DT himself).

By the way, whatever happened to Holmes? Last I heard a few years ago, I think he was living in CO, dieing of aids and "born again"... but I am not sure.

theim said:

The MSN article says that the family incurred some debt putting children through school, and that he agreed to release his identity to pay off some of that after Woodward and Bernstein made millions.

no1tovote4 said:
I just wished that they had given a different name to the "leak"...

Everytime I see "Deep Throat" I think of a Pron Flick from the 70's....

That's so true, it just automatically conjurs up the movie YUCK!!

Old news...dead news...I don't give a shit news...just a ploy by the liberal news agencies to take the heat off of the"Newsweek"fiasco...a back door approach to bring up what they perceive as negative information to debase conservatives...get real it happened many decades ago and most if not all were aware of the person or persons involved...and for what reasons...geez! :smoke:

Forum List

Back