"Deep Throat" revealed...maybe

archangel said:
Old news...dead news...I don't give a shit news...just a ploy by the liberal news agencies to take the heat off of the"Newsweek"fiasco...a back door approach to bring up what they perceive as negative information to debase conservatives...get real it happened many decades ago and most if not all were aware of the person or persons involved...and for what reasons...geez! :smoke:

Have to agree and also ask where was he during the Clinton years?, seriously those two are lucky their not in federal prison with all the illegal things they did. Where's Johhny Wong?????

Well, for the most part, I have to respectfully disagree with most of the previous posts. It's one of the great political mysteries, and the fact that it's been kept a secret for over 3 decades in this day and age is very unusual.

I don't think Felt revealed this secret after all this time to take heat off anybody, although it's already obvious some are going to try and use it that way.

I say, let the media try to use it. They have tried to hang the hero tag on Felt, which is pretty tough considering he essentially did the same thing he was blowing the whistle on seven years after he was "Deep Throat". He was caught and convicted, too. So, he's not exactly a boy scout. As far as taking heat off for the Newsweek fiasco, let them try to use it. The "Deep Throat" story is an example of how to use an anonymous source. Woodward and Bernstein didn't take what he said and rush it onto the front page. They actually investigated, found evidense, THEN reported on it. The whole thing wasn't riding on "According to sources".

Jimmyeatworld said:
Well, for the most part, I have to respectfully disagree with most of the previous posts. It's one of the great political mysteries, and the fact that it's been kept a secret for over 3 decades in this day and age is very unusual.
While I agree with you, at the same time I don't, because it was only a secret because those "in the know" wouldn't confirm anything. Nixon from the get-go was CONVINCED it was Felt as were many others within Nixon's circles. There was a documentary on one of the cable channels about a year ago that speculated it was Felt and a retired FBI profiler said Felt fit the profile. The point being, yes, it was a secret, but only to the public. Most truly within the "know" knew.

Jimmyeatworld said:
I don't think Felt revealed this secret after all this time to take heat off anybody, although it's already obvious some are going to try and use it that way.
Felt is an old man that probably doesn't even know what the hell is going on half the time. The people that "leaked" this news is his kids. They are trying to profit from it. I don't blame em. They see how rich W&B have become from it and it probably gauls them. Hell, that is probably one reason why the secret lasted so long. The old man never wanted to admit that he gained absolutely NOTHING from what he did other than the personal satisfaction of seeing Nixon fall and ONLY because Nixon hadn't appointed him Director of the FBI.

Jimmyeatworld said:
I say, let the media try to use it. They have tried to hang the hero tag on Felt, which is pretty tough considering he essentially did the same thing he was blowing the whistle on seven years after he was "Deep Throat". He was caught and convicted, too. So, he's not exactly a boy scout.
Exactly, if Nixon had appointed this guy as the Director of the FBI like Felt wanted, Felt would have been right in there leading the cover-up. He went to Woodward (whom by the way he had known since before Woodward ever even became a reporter. He met Woodward, a Naval Aide, in the White House in 1970) to get revenge on Nixon. It wasn't for any "purpose" other than that.

Jimmyeatworld said:
As far as taking heat off for the Newsweek fiasco, let them try to use it.
They're trying to keep this story alive, but it is dying fast. People don't wanna hear about shit that happened 30 years ago.

Jimmyeatworld said:
The "Deep Throat" story is an example of how to use an anonymous source. Woodward and Bernstein didn't take what he said and rush it onto the front page. They actually investigated, found evidence, THEN reported on it. The whole thing wasn't riding on "According to sources".
I don't agree with this. This is how this entire "anonymous source" shit got started. Because W&B kept the secret unverified for so long, other reporters started trying to follow their lead. Unfortunately, many have used false "anonymous" sources since. Also, as mentioned above, they had a LOT of help since Woodward personally knew Felt for many years before the story developed. Felt had been feeding him various stories before Watergate broke. Woodward even acknowledges that Felt often called Nixon a "Nazi".

They didn't do all that much "investigating" either in my opinion. Woodward & Bernstein were being led to all the information needed to expose the story. They didn't have to do any investigation because Felt was feeding it all to them. You can't tell somebody where something is and then give them credit for finding it.

Maybe so, but the point is they made sure it was true. Felt was also pretty high up in the government, not some schmuck they sent after sandwiches. I'm not trying to give more credit where credit isn't due, just saying that while this is where the anonymous source started it can be pointed out that it has gone beyond what it was then.

Wanted to add, I think a big reason a lot of people aren't drawn to this is because most of the general public have no clue who the hell Felt is. If it had turned out to be Kissenger or someone else that has been suggested over the years, it might stir a bit more interest.

There's been a lot written in the past couple of days about how Felt is a 'hero.' There's also been some about how this contrasts with whistle blower Linda Tripp and the mud dragging she went through. I think Taranto sums it up the best I've seen-links at site:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/

Nixon's Bubbly for Mr. Throat
The Associated Press reports on the latest irony in the story of Mark "Deep Throat" Felt:

When Felt was on trial for authorizing illegal break-ins during the 1970s at homes of people associated with the radical Weather Underground, Nixon testified on his behalf.

And after Reagan pardoned Felt in 1981, he received a bottle of champagne and this brief note from the disgraced former president: "Justice ultimately prevails."

As we noted yesterday, Felt's background makes him an unlikely hero for the left. Yet John Conyers, a far-left Detroit Congressman, says "he will introduce a resolution commending Mark Felt," according to RawStory.com, which reproduces a Conyers statement:

"Quite frequently, it is courageous whistle blowers such as Mr. Felt who are responsible for disclosing corruption in our government. I have no doubt that, absent Mr. Felt's involvement, we would never have learned about the illegalities and obstruction of justice at the highest levels of our government, up to and including President Nixon.

"Our nation owes Mr. Felt our gratitude. . . ."

Conyers goes on about the "wrongdoing of the current administration," reinforcing our point that the left has overlearned the "lessons of Watergate." CNN reports that Bill Clinton, appearing on "Larry King Live" last night, also had praise for Felt:

"I think Felt believed that there was a chance that this thing would be covered up," Clinton said, referring to the break-in and Nixon administration's cover-up. "Ordinarily, I think a law enforcement official shouldn't leak to the press because you should let criminal action take its course.

"But there was some reason to believe he was right. He always felt ambivalent about it apparently, and I think that's good," the former president said. "Under these circumstances he did the right thing."

If Congress is going to pass a resolution honoring Felt for blowing the whistle on Nixon, why not make it bipartisan and also honor Clinton administration whistle blower Linda Tripp? As David Schippers, the Democratic lawyer who served as the House Judiciary Committee's chief investigator during the Clinton impeachment inquiry, tells the Chicago Tribune's John Kass, "If he's a hero, and he is, then she's a hero. They're both heroes."

Kathianne said:
There's been a lot written in the past couple of days about how Felt is a 'hero.' There's also been some about how this contrasts with whistle blower Linda Tripp and the mud dragging she went through. I think Taranto sums it up the best I've seen-links at site:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/

Hmmm. Anybody want to beat the rush and recommend a dual resolution honoring heroes to your representative?

http://www.e-thepeople.org/

:banana:

Parker is so right about this. The real identity of "Deep Throat" just didn't live up to the hype manufactured by The Washington Post, Woodward and Bernstein. Parker's scenario would have been much more riveting!

Of Myth And The Man
By Kathleen Parker for The Orlando Sentinel
Published June 5, 2005

In the annals of letdowns, last week's revelation that the legendary "Deep Throat" was one Mark Felt comes close to edging out Santa Claus for the top slot. As one of a generation of reporters who came of age during the Watergate era, I confess that my reaction fell somewhat short of "Ohmigod, you gotta be kidding!! No wa-ay!!" Instead, it went more like this: "Oh."

Mark Felt? Just the No. 2 guy in the FBI, aka "my friend?" THE Deep Throat? That's it?! Apparently, not everyone was surprised. Felt's name had appeared on various what-if lists through the years. After the story broke Tuesday in Vanity Fair, several who-didn't-know stories surfaced.

One was that Jacob Bernstein, the then-8-year-old son of Carl (of the famed Bob Woodward and Bernstein Washington Post reporting team) told a camp buddy years ago that Felt was Deep Throat. Bernstein's then-wife and Jacob's mother, writer Nora Ephron, posted on the Huffington Post blog that she figured it out years ago and told anyone who asked, including her son.

But Woodward and Bernstein kept their word and Felt's secret, thus spawning an industry in "Watergate" speculation. In the more than 30 years since Watergate, countless rumors have circulated, dozens of books have been written, and many fortunes made. Until this week, the mystery has remained a tantalizing source of wonder. Who could it be?

The communal "we" understood that Deep Throat's identity would be revealed upon his death. And so we waited patiently, certain that the truth, once revealed, would be riveting and gratifying, the final act in America's longest-playing reality show. Felt did not, in fact, die, but decided at the urging of his family to reveal himself.

As is often the case with mysteries, not knowing was much more fun than knowing. Now what? In my own fantasy, Deep Throat would not have been a straight guy with a short haircut. For starters, he would have been a "she" -- a smoky-voiced, sultry agent whose high heels tapping against the parking garage floor signaled to Woodward that it was time to produce a Zippo. The lady needs a light.

For full article:
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/kathleenparker/kp20050603.shtml

Forum List

Back