Death penalty is wrong

CaféAuLait;1071299 said:
So what? Deep spiritual retreat means they are still locked up. They are working to purify their misdeeds through work that benefits the victims and work on their minds which will benefit them and others at the time of their death.

If you think a long term silent retreat is so easy, try one sometime. There's nothing worse than having to hang out with the rot in your head with no distractions.

You do not know what will benefit their victim because YOU BELIEVE they are "purifying their misdeeds” ( what a load of hooey) it does not mean that the victim or their family believe the same.

It is YOUR religion not theirs or the victim's or the families. You have no clue what other believe. Some believe in religion and others don’t. Some believe in the Koran and others the Bible and other do not believe in God.

So YOUR spiritual retreat may mean diddly squat to any else. Even in the Bible there are deadly sins, one of the reason there is a hell in religious beliefs.

No problem. There is no point in talking to you. You're starting to get nasty. This is the religion and ethics forum. Religious beliefs are relevant to the death penalty discussion.

There is no reason to mock my religious beliefs because they happen to differ from yours.

I am not trying to mock your religious beliefs per se, but the fact that you think putting these hardened criminals into a spiritual retreat will change them and their victim’s view of them because it is the way YOU believe.

You are saying that religion will save and or turn a murderer and rapist around. I disagree. It is a proven fact that prisoners "find religion" to get out of sentences. They lie over and over they did not find religion they are placating those who they believe they need to placate.

By the by, this is the Religion and Ethic forums with sub forum: Religion, Philosophy and the discussion of right and wrong forum. Religion does NOT have to play into the death penalty at all. Eye for an eye principle, whose purposes of the law is to provide equitable retaliation for an offended party as taught in the bible.

I'm saying no such thing. I am saying that I personally know Jarvis Masters, who is a Buddhist on Death Row in San Quentin. He is a changed man. Jarvis is rare. I don't think executing him would benefit anyone. He is essentially in long term retreat.

I think he is doing the world a lot of good through the way he works with other prisoners on Death Row and his writings.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;1071371 said:
I'm saying no such thing. I am saying that I personally know Jarvis Masters, who is a Buddhist on Death Row in San Quentin. He is a changed man.

I think he is doing the world a lot of good through the way he works with other prisoners on Death Row and his writings.

That's one....

That's how minds and hearts change--one at a time. I'm personally working with six others.

CaféAuLait;1071371 said:
I'm saying no such thing. I am saying that I personally know Jarvis Masters, who is a Buddhist on Death Row in San Quentin. He is a changed man.

That's one....

That's how minds and hearts change--one at a time. I'm personally working with six others.

And my father worked with hundreds over his lifetime. Many were baptized and professed to believe. 99.9999 were liars and reoffended or renounced their faith for one reason or another. IN fact one did so in front of the parole board after they denied his parole.

You think this man is changed and he may be-- but he facilitated a murder and he needs to pay, if there were no punishment for murder it would be at an even higher rate.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;1071397 said:
CaféAuLait;1071371 said:
That's one....

And my father worked with hundreds over his lifetime. Many were baptized and professed to believe. 99.9999 were liars and reoffended or renounced their faith for one reason or another. IN fact one did so in front of the parole board after they denied his parole.

You think this man is changed and he may be-- but he facilitated a murder and he needs to pay, if there were no punishment for murder it would be at an even higher rate.

Jarvis is paying. He is sitting on Death Row now. Every day he faces the possibility of his execution.

That does not mean that his life is meaningless or that socieity is better served through his death.

He is doing a whole lot of people a lot of good.

CaféAuLait;1071397 said:

Jarvis is paying. He is sitting on Death Row now. Every day he faces the possibility of his execution.

That does not mean that his life is meaningless or that socieity is better served through his death.

are his organs in good shape? if they are, let's harvest them so he can help people who deserve it. we can kill him first, of course.

CaféAuLait;1071397 said:

I'm sure the guard's family feels all warm and fuzzy.

CaféAuLait;1071397 said:

are his organs in good shape? if they are, let's harvest them so he can help people who deserve it. we can kill him first, of course.

I'm sure you'd love that.

Jarvis Masters is loved and respected by the international Buddhist community:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarvis_Jay_Masters

"Jarvis is an easy man to respect and an easy man to love. What I learn from him all the time is what it really means to keep one's vows of not harming and of helping other people in whatever ways one can. I always think, 'If Jarvis can do it in those most challenging and difficult situations, I can do it too.' It is a continual aspiration from my heart that Jarvis Masters not be killed and that I have the pleasure of knowing him as a free man; a free man who I know will benefit all the people he encounters."

— Pema Chödrön

Last edited:

Not if the international Buddhist community has anything to say about it.

well if they're as effective as they were in tibet, i don't think that's a big concern. in any event, live harvest is probably best anyway.
does he have liver problems?
there's lots of non-murdering people waiting for a liver.

Here is an article written by a personal friend:

Sentient Times Feb/Mar 06

I have a number of stories about Jarvis. One in particular, of how he personally benefited a dying woman on my caseload. He also inspired me to enter a long term retreat.

Last edited:

I'm sure you'd love that.

Jarvis Masters is loved and respected by the international Buddhist community:
Jarvis Jay Masters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Jarvis is an easy man to respect and an easy man to love. What I learn from him all the time is what it really means to keep one's vows of not harming and of helping other people in whatever ways one can. I always think, 'If Jarvis can do it in those most challenging and difficult situations, I can do it too.' It is a continual aspiration from my heart that Jarvis Masters not be killed and that I have the pleasure of knowing him as a free man; a free man who I know will benefit all the people he encounters."

— Pema Chödrön

What? One nneds to take a vow to know murder is wrong and helping others is good, seems Pema Chödrön may think so? He, Jarvis knew well BEFORE he facilitaed that murder that it was wrong and he ruined a mans life-- he took away a father, son and husband because he was a selfish man. He knew it was right to help people before landing jail also--- but he decided to commit armed robbery. HIS choices. Vow or no vow the man he knew right from wrong before he took his "vows".

If anyone is interested in knowing more about Jarvis Masters just let me know. He's quite extraordinary.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in knowing more about Jarvis Masters just let me know. He's quite extraordinary.

I belive he's just another Afro-American in San Quentin about to meet his maker thanks to the US justice system

He'll be executed because he is BLACK. Jarvis Masters was convicted of participating in the killing of a prison guard, Sergeant Howell Burchfield, despite the fact that he (Jarvis Masters) was in another part of the prison when the guard was killed. Now is that justice ?

Here is an article written by a personal friend:

Sentient Times Feb/Mar 06

I have a number of stories about Jarvis. One in particular, of how he personally benefited a dying woman on my caseload. He also inspired me to enter a long term retreat.

And here is a story about Sergeant Howell Burchfield the man Jarvis killed.

photo.php

Sergeant Howell Burchfield
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
California
End of Watch: Saturday, June 8, 1985

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 12 years
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Stabbed
Date of Incident: Saturday, June 8, 1985
Weapon Used: Edged weapon; Shank
Suspect Info: Sentenced to death

Sergeant Howell Burchfield was stabbed to death when he was attacked by an inmate at the San Quentin State Prison's Carson Unit.

He was stabbed in the heart causing him to bleed to death. All three inmates involved in the attack were convicted and one of them was sentenced to death.

Sergeant Burchfield had been employed with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation for 12 years, and is survived by his wife and five children.

Please note Jarvis took a father away from 5 children and a wife. 5 children who lost their beloved father. Have you ministered to them lately?

He'll be executed because he is BLACK. Jarvis Masters was convicted of participating in the killing of a prison guard, Sergeant Howell Burchfield, despite the fact that he (Jarvis Masters) was in another part of the prison when the guard was killed. Now is that justice ?

He facilitated the murder by providing the shank-- he KNEW what the shank was to be used for-- murder. The same way if I were to have provided a gun to murder someone ( knowing it would be used for murder)-- Look up the law.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back