Vatican protests Israel's blasphemy......

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Just saw this on the news this morning......

Vatican irked by 'blasphemous' Israeli TV show
Host says show was 'lesson' for Christians who deny the Holocaust

VATICAN CITY - The Vatican said Friday it has formally complained to the Israeli government about a private Israeli TV show that ridiculed and blasphemed Jesus and Mary.

In the program, the host farcically denied Christian traditions — that Mary was a virgin and that Jesus walked on water — saying he would do so as a "lesson" to Christians who deny the Holocaust.

It was a reference to the Vatican's recent lifting of the excommunication of a bishop who denied 6 million Jews were killed during World War II. The rehabilitation sparked outrage among Jews.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

A statement from the Vatican press office said its representative in Israel complained to the government about the show, which was broadcast recently on private Channel 10, one of Israel's three main TV stations.

The statement said the government quickly assured the Holy See that it would intervene to interrupt the transmission and get the broadcaster to publicly apologize. But it wasn't immediately clear how the government could do so since Channel 10 is a private station and is not subject to government censorship, except in matters of security.

Calls to Channel 10 seeking comment weren't successful Friday. The Israeli foreign ministry had no comment.

The Vatican said that in the clip, Mary and Joseph were "ridiculed with blasphemous words and images" that amounted to a "vulgar and offensive act of intolerance toward the religious sentiments of the believers in Christ."

In the show, hosted by well-known Israeli comedian Lior Shlein, Mary is said to have become pregnant at 15, thanks to a schoolmate. It said Jesus could never have walked on water because "he was so fat he was ashamed to leave the house, let alone go to the Sea of Galilee with a bathing suit."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29300625/

Now.......considering that Yeshua (Jesus), is God's Son, as well as the fact that Israel is God's Chosen People, don't you think that Israel would know what is and isn't blasphemous better than Bent Dick/Rat Singer?

I mean........shit. Bent Dick/Rat Singer has pretty much been an idiot since he's put on that white hat.

Besides........God is Love, and Love helps you to laugh and find humor. I'm pretty sure that Yeshua and HaShem have a pretty decent sense of humor. Not at all like that idiot religion know as islam.

Last edited:
Freedom of Speech
It's not universally accepted. In fact, in the broad scheme of things, it barely exists.

Well, when John Paul II was Pope, Jews and Catholics were starting to come together.

With Bent Dick/Rat Singer? It's all falling apart.

Personally? I think Bent Dick/Rat Singer is going to be the "last pope" according to the Papal Prophecies.

So, to confirm: "Different religious groups disagreed and got on each other's nerves"?

Shouldn't this be a news flash?

How is it blasphemy to deny that Mary was a virgin or that Jesus walked on water. I believe both those things and I dont see how it could possibly be blasphemy.

For one, Mary isnt God. I know that Catholics revere Mary, but unless the show is like calling her a whore or something, I dont see how not believing she was a virgin is blasphemous. Especially when the scriptures are rather clear that she was only a virgin until after Christ was born.

I dont see how denying that Jesus walked on water is blasphemy either. it just doesnt make sense.

How is it blasphemy to deny that Mary was a virgin or that Jesus walked on water. I believe both those things and I dont see how it could possibly be blasphemy.

For one, Mary isnt God. I know that Catholics revere Mary, but unless the show is like calling her a whore or something, I dont see how not believing she was a virgin is blasphemous. Especially when the scriptures are rather clear that she was only a virgin until after Christ was born.

I dont see how denying that Jesus walked on water is blasphemy either. it just doesnt make sense.

They didn't need to call Mary a whore. The Catholics took care of that all by themselves.

They didn't need to call Mary a whore. The Catholics took care of that all by themselves.
When did the Catholics call Mary a whore???

You know.. it's funny that jews think they can call out catholics regarding excommunicated priests.... but then balk at catholics returning the favor... typical, really.

When did the Catholics call Mary a whore???

First off.....there was Mary Magdaline who was Jesus' favorite disciple. Paul didn't like that, so when he wrote his Gospel, he said stuff like that........

Identification as a prostitute
Mary Magdalene by Anthony Frederick Augustus Sandys. Ca. 1860

Mary Magdalene is sometimes referred to as a prostitute or adulteress, but she was never called one in the New Testament.[9] Luke writes that Jesus casts seven demons from her, after which she joins his disciples and provides for them. She witnesses the crucifixion from the foot of the cross, the male disciples having fled. And she was the first witness to the resurrection and was sent by Jesus to tell his other disciples of his return.[10]

Jeffrey Kripal, a religion scholar, wrote, "Migdal or Magdala (meaning "tower" in Hebrew and Arameic respectively) was a fishing town known, or so the legend goes, for its perhaps punning connection to hairdressers (medgaddlela) and women of questionable reputation. This is as close as we get to any clear evidence that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute."[11] According to Kripal, the identification of Mary Magdalene as a prostitute also goes back to the above-mentioned sermon by Pope Gregory.[11] However, Gregory identified Mary merely as a peccatrix, a sinful woman, using her as a model for the repentant sinner, not a meretrix, a prostitute. However, he also identifies Mary with the adulteress brought before Jesus (as recounted in the Pericope Adulterae, John 8), concurring with 3rd and 4th century Church fathers that had already considered the sinful woman's sin as "being unchaste". Gregory's identification and the consideration of the woman's sin as sexual later probably gave rise to the image of Mary as a prostitute.
"Kreuzigung" by Meister des Marienlebens.

This viewpoint is also espoused by much Western medieval Christian art. In many medieval depictions, Mary Magdalene is shown as having long hair which she wears down over her shoulders, while other women follow contemporary standards of propriety by hiding their hair beneath headdresses or kerchiefs. The Magdalene's hair may be rendered as red, while the other women of the New Testament in these same depictions ordinarily have dark hair beneath a scarf. This disparity between depictions of women can be seen in works such as the Crucifixion paintings by the Meister des Marienlebens.

This image of Mary as a prostitute was followed by many writers and artists until the 20th century. Even though it is less prevalent nowadays, the identification of Mary Magdalene with the adulteress is still accepted by some Christians. This is reflected in Martin Scorsese's film adaptation of Nikos Kazantzakis's novel The Last Temptation of Christ, as well as in José Saramago's The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, Andrew Lloyd Webber's rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar, Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ and Hal Hartley's The Book of Life.

And......there was also the fact that the Catholic church kept mixing up Mother Mary, with Mary Magdaline........

Mary Magdalene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ya know Sunnidiot.......for someone who claims to be learned, you sure as hell don't know much.

Forum List

Back