Four charged in assisted suicide ring as FBI investigates 'Final Exit Network'

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by strollingbones, Feb 27, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,869
    i shun the idea of one killing one's self but i think one should have the option. If one opts to off themself then there should be a sane and legal way to do it.

Four members of an alleged assisted suicide ring have been charged with helping a 58-year-old man end his life.
    The arrests came after a sting operation in which an undercover agent posed as a member of the 'Final Exit Network' group.

Full Article:

Four charged in assisted suicide ring as FBI investigates 'Final Exit Network' | Mail Online

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    And I disagree. I was suicidal for most of my life. Had it under control till 1994 but from Dec 94 until spring 2004 it was not under control. I wanted to be dead. Just my stubborn ass refusal to abandon my family kept me from all but one attempt. From 2004 until last summer I still had the constant thoughts I just had enough meds I could more easily control them, since last summer they upped my meds and now I almost NEVER have those thoughts.

Using your logic, just cause I feel like dieing I should be allowed and others should be able to help me. Ohh at what age were you going to make this a law? So we can then listen to Agnastupid claim he is denied another right?

It is a bad idea and ALWAYS will be a bad idea. If an able bodied person REALLY insists on killing them selves they can do it.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I think there outta be a sane and legal way of killing other people too. That sure as hell would keep folks on their toes. :lol:

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    This is difficult. I have to say we labour under the same sort of problem here.

Rock- not being presumptuous but your situation is perhaps different. Don't arc up, I'm not trying to start a fight, I've been there, though not as severe. I was finally diagnosed with major depressive disorder after some years with it several years ago, those years of undiagnosed depression caused me a lot of personal grief, none of it relevant here. But as bad as it was it was "just" depression. Fucking rotten but not a terminal illness. If someone is facing a terminal illness and current medical science says no hope then why shouldn't their own wishes be observed? I know what comes next, greed rels wanting to get the money etc. But any half competent legislature can draft legislation to cover everything. It's just that the gutless bastards won't face up to it and try to do it so they pull this crap.

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Any time you allow the Government to LEGALLY kill people just because, is a bad idea. Assisted suicide will become a legal means to get rid of the helpless, the sick and the infirm. That is how it works. Can we say Nationalized or national health care? Guess what? No one can actually afford it, passing laws like this will lead to "assisting" those the Government does not want to pay for to " commit suicide"

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Govt can legally kill people in Tx.

And I'm not arguing for one moment that govt does it. I'm arguing they get out of the way.

Save the slippery slope arguments for the other morons, it won't work with me.

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617

8. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,859
    Stephen Hawking comes out in favor of assisted suicide...
    :cool:
    British cosmologist Hawking backs right to assisted suicide
    17 Sept.`13 - British cosmologist Stephen Hawking has backed the right for people who are terminally ill to choose to end their lives and to receive help to do so as long as safeguards are in place.