Dead soldier's mom faces deportation......

She gave her son. Is that not enough? We let all kinds of scummy bastards into this country every day. This woman, who has lived here legally for 20 years has given more than most.

Again, I have no problem with her staying. I have a problem with anyone claiming she "gave" anything.

He volunteered of his own accord. That wasn't her choice. It was his.

I think those who have lost a loved one to the service of this country would disagree with you. Those who support family members who serve the country pay a price too.... I appreciate it is a small price, but sometimes it costs a significant amount.

The servicemember gives all. The survivors mourn the loss, but the servicemember was not theirs to give. Mourning a loss is about YOU, not him. He died doing what he thought was right. His choice.

And I don't like this topic. I understand your loss, but bear in mind others have lost the same and I HATE (and you count how many times I say that word) it being politicized, or used to play on the emotions of others or presented as something it's not.

Maybe if you EVER walk up to your best friend's wife and say "it's MY fault", you'll understand.

Ironically, if this DEAD SOLDIER'S mother were legal the people acting like they don't give a shit about her in this thread would be falling over themselves and getting tripped up in yellow car magnets to kiss the golden pussy from which she birthed a great American hero. How quickly the tides turn against supporting our troops and their families when, especially the ones WHO MAKE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE, when an ingrown hair pusses up over immigration status.

pathetic people. really.

Ironically, if this DEAD SOLDIER'S mother were legal the people acting like they don't give a shit about her in this thread would be falling over themselves and getting tripped up in yellow car magnets to kiss the golden pussy from which she birthed a great American hero. How quickly the tides turn against supporting our troops and their families when, especially the ones WHO MAKE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE, when an ingrown hair pusses up over immigration status.

pathetic people. really.

Who's doing that? I have no problem with her receiving US citizenship. But not for giving birth to him.

Clyde Barrow had a mother too. And?

The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation
American Gold Star Mothers - American Gold Star Mothers Inc, Home
The willingness of immigrant mothers to allow there sons to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the immigrant mothers of veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their adopted nation

NorthJersey.com: Dead soldier?s mom still fighting to stay in U.S.

The really sad thing is that this soldier was killed by the dude who snapped off line at the clinic in Baghdad. He had already made US citizen, and was sponsoring his mother.

They were almost home free when he was killed senselessly.

I think this woman should be allowed to stay, she's done more for this country than most.

My heart says DEFINATELY let her stay and give her citizenship.

What does the law say though? Unfortunately IF the law says no then she can't stay....we can't change that law for one person. HOWEVER, if obama is a good man he could use an executive order to make an exception in this one specific instance.

Last edited:
The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation
American Gold Star Mothers - American Gold Star Mothers Inc, Home
The willingness of immigrant mothers to allow there sons to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the immigrant mothers of veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their adopted nation

Go ahead and push. You're on the wrong radar screen, vato.

Again, I have no problem with her staying. I have a problem with anyone claiming she "gave" anything.

He volunteered of his own accord. That wasn't her choice. It was his.

I think those who have lost a loved one to the service of this country would disagree with you. Those who support family members who serve the country pay a price too.... I appreciate it is a small price, but sometimes it costs a significant amount.

The servicemember gives all. The survivors mourn the loss, but the servicemember was not theirs to give. Mourning a loss is about YOU, not him. He died doing what he thought was right. His choice.

And I don't like this topic. I understand your loss, but bear in mind others have lost the same and I HATE (and you count how many times I say that word) it being politicized, or used to play on the emotions of others or presented as something it's not.

Maybe if you EVER walk up to your best friend's wife and say "it's MY fault", you'll understand.

I don't like it much either. And, while I may not have had to say 'it's my fault', I have had to listen to someone who is closer to me than anyone in the world while he beat himself up (and continues to do so) wonder whether he could have or should have done it differently. I wonder if you understand what it is like to be that helpless? To know that there is nothing you can do or say to take that pain away. I know you relate to loss. I wonder if you understand what it is like to spend night after night awake - worrying about people you love deeply, knowing you can do nothing but write and call and send them stupid shit in the mail. Personally, I would not wish it on anyone. I certainly would not wish on my worst enemy the neverending pain of losing someone who should not have died.

I think the poet John Milton summed up pretty well. "They also serve who only stand and wait." We may not give our lives, but we support those who do. That may not mean much to you.... I'm not overly fussed if it does or not. But, to those of us who do, it means the world.

I don't like it much either. And, while I may not have had to say 'it's my fault', I have had to listen to someone who is closer to me than anyone in the world while he beat himself up (and continues to do so) wonder whether he could have or should have done it differently. I wonder if you understand what it is like to be that helpless? To know that there is nothing you can do or say to take that pain away. I know you relate to loss. I wonder if you understand what it is like to spend night after night awake - worrying about people you love deeply, knowing you can do nothing but write and call and send them stupid shit in the mail. Personally, I would not wish it on anyone. I certainly would not wish on my worst enemy the neverending pain of losing someone who should not have died.

I think the poet John Milton summed up pretty well. "They also serve who only stand and wait." We may not give our lives, but we support those who do. That may not mean much to you.... I'm not overly fussed if it does or not. But, to those of us who do, it means the world.

How do you think I know what it feels like?

The really sad thing is that this soldier was killed by the dude who snapped off line at the clinic in Baghdad. He had already made US citizen, and was sponsoring his mother.

I think this woman should be allowed to stay, she's done more for this country than most.

What does the law say though? Unfortunately IF the law says no then she can't stay....we can't change that law for one person. HOWEVER, if obama is a good man he could use an executive order to make an exception in this one specific instance.

There are allowances in the law to let us be human.

Well, if you do, then you should also know the price we pay. We don't even get to choose this life, we have it thrust on us because of someone else's choice. The main reason I chose not to serve was my Mom's comment to me when my twin brother decided to join. She said she needed to have one child safe. That child was me.

My point is, we ALL have mothers. Should they get credit and/or be punished for everything we do as adults?

This entire thread is an appeal to emotion, not logic. I understand mourning the loss of a loved one. That doesn't mean it applies here.

I think allowing her to live here for 20 years then denying her citizenship is stupid. In it's own right. Not because she's someone's mother.

Well, if you do, then you should also know the price we pay. We don't even get to choose this life, we have it thrust on us because of someone else's choice. The main reason I chose not to serve was my Mom's comment to me when my twin brother decided to join. She said she needed to have one child safe. That child was me.

You're appealing to emotion. The servicemember gives his/her life. You are sorry for YOUR loss, but the choice to give wasn't yours. It is the servicemember's.

You cannot give what is not yours to give.

There are allowances in the law to let us be human.

It has nothing to do with being human or compassionate. Like I said if the law doesn't state that she can be a citizen then she cannot. The president, however, does have the ability to effect the situation (as you said allowance to be human ;))

My point is, we ALL have mothers. Should they get credit and/or be punished for everything we do as adults?

This entire thread is an appeal to emotion, not logic. I understand mourning the loss of a loved one. That doesn't mean it applies here.

I think allowing her to live here for 20 years then denying her citizenship is stupid. In it's own right. Not because she's someone's mother.

No parents should not get credit or be punished for decisions and actions we take on our own as adults.

I too agree that encouraging people to come here illegally, through our practices as employers and as a government, then punishing them for doing it and staying is stupid.

Still doesn't change anything though about what the law is or states.

Thats all. I still say Obama should grant an executive order, much like presidents do with presidential pardons, to do what I feel is the right thing in this situation.

No parents should not get credit or be punished for decisions and actions we take on our own as adults.

I too agree that encouraging people to come here illegally, through our practices as employers and as a government, then punishing them for doing it and staying is stupid.

Still doesn't change anything though about what the law is or states.

Thats all. I still say Obama should grant an executive order, much like presidents do with presidential pardons, to do what I feel is the right thing in this situation.

I am assuming here ... but I would say she either was allowed to stay because she gave birth on US soil, or she gave birth to a child fathered by a US citizen. While I don't agree with those laws, they ARE the law.

THEN you factor in humanity. She's been here 20 years. She's met all the requirements. She has nowhere to go back to.

Let her stay.

You're appealing to emotion. The servicemember gives his/her life. You are sorry for YOUR loss, but the choice to give wasn't yours. It is the servicemember's.

Actually, no, I'm not appealing to emotion. Of course, I am sorry for my loss - I am human. But.... had I asked my SO to leave the Corps, he absolutely would have done to. So, in that respect, it was my choice. I would not ask him to give up something that he loved for me. No big deal to you - but to me, it was a hard one. Same with my brothers, one word from my Mom and they'd quit.

Trust me - she WILL get her citizenship - as she should. I'm sure this is the reason why her son joined the military - if this country is going to have this 'carrot' (auto citizenship if they serve), then the least they can do is honor this 'perk'.

But my question is: Why do these immigrants wait so long to start the legalization process???? 20 yrs and she never did that??? Something is very wrong with this picture. What they want is to come here illgally/legally and then wait for another amnesty - that saves them money and time. If they want to live in this country so badly, then do things the right way by coming here legally and then securing their future here by becoming part of this nation in every way possible!!!

Actually, no, I'm not appealing to emotion. Of course, I am sorry for my loss - I am human. But.... had I asked my SO to leave the Corps, he absolutely would have done to. So, in that respect, it was my choice. I would not ask him to give up something that he loved for me. No big deal to you - but to me, it was a hard one. Same with my brothers, one word from my Mom and they'd quit.

Are you kidding? I spent 20+ years in the Marines and was in one war. I had a wife and children, then was a single parent, then had a wife and a child.

You think I'm oblivious?

The argument appeals to emotion. Let her stay because she gave birth to someone who chose to join the US military and died as a result. That's about as good as "appeal to emotion" gets.

There's a BIG difference between "mom" and a SO. The impact on the SO; especially, a wife with children, IS significant and direct. For mom, it's emotional.

You seem unable to differentiate between the law and logic, and emotion here. There IS a difference. This topic is the former, not the latter.

Losing a son is not a prerequisite for US citizenship, nor should it be.

Forum List

Back