DC Protests Draw 2 Million

Nobody showed up at the whitehouse or protested in the millions at organized rallies across the nation during Bush's TWO terms as president.
What about these people?

Massive Anti-War Outpouring - CBS News

How exactly would he be forced out of office? Are you suggesting a coup?

My guess is he will be rendered completely powerless when the elections of 2010 take place. If he finds a way to prevent that from happening, then see what happens.

We'll see.

Perfect example of taking what is being said and trying to distort it to mean something else because you can't argue what's actually been said.

As I said, the few protest rallies during Bush's TWO terms were HUGELY reported on, and exaggerated.
What evidence of this "exaggeration" do you have?

There was never anything like this..the ongoing protests over the de-Americanization of the US, and the HUGE crowds who are of one mind.

Difference...Then a few fringers occasionally got together and acted creepy during Bush' presidency over pretty much myriad ridiculous crap.
Please, feel free to find one source (aside from the nonsense British newspaper in the OP) that cites more than 100,000 people in DC today.

Now MILLIONS of US voters, reprsenting the MAJORITY of the US (though still called fringers, lol) are gathering in huge numbers to protest singularly and with one voice.
Not a chance. There were no "millions" at the protests. There's no polling or any evidence at all that a "MAJORITY" of Americans are protesting anything. I understand that reality has a liberal bias, but this is ridiculous. You're just making things up.

And I do know what fascist means. You can play with it all you like. Anyone who dismisses a nationwide protest movement of such proportions as "not mattering" and "wrong" is a fascist.

Learn to read. If you're going to use quotation marks, you need to be quoting something I said. I never said anything about how the protests are "wrong". Also, buy a dictionary, cause Fascism doesn't mean what you think it does.

Up to two million march to US Capitol to protest against Obama's spending in 'tea-party' demonstration | Mail Online

Up to two million people marched to the U.S. Capitol today, carrying signs with slogans such as "Obamacare makes me sick" as they protested the president's health care plan and what they say is out-of-control spending.

The line of protesters spread across Pennsylvania Avenue for blocks, all the way to the capitol, according to the Washington Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency.

People were chanting "enough, enough" and "We the People." Others yelled "You lie, you lie!" and "Pelosi has to go," referring to California congresswoman Nancy Pelosi.

Far greater numbers than anyone was expecting, it seems. These protests have tapped a nerve...

Looking at the pictures, that certainly is a diverse crowd at the event.

And a liberal is the first to bring up race, shocker ......

I don't particularly care if it was 2 or 2,000 or 2 million. I don't agree with their cause, I don't agree with the distortion campaign put out there, but I have no problem with the people marching today. At least these people aren't apathetic. They're demonstrating peacefully (as far as I've heard) for what they believe in, right or wrong.
If they believe wrong, then dammit pro-HCR people get out there and get as involved on the ground as they are. No, ten times as involved. Start the serious debate we should be having, no matter how one-sided. We have a free marketplace of ideas for a reason. About time people start using it for its intended purpose, don'cha think?

BAM!

26_lagasse2_lgl.jpg

I know I am not one of Xeno's favorite board members, but I am obliged to put that aside:

I am at the moment IRKED as all get-out that I can't REP him twice for his input in this thread.

BAM indeed!

Why should I care if 2 million people came to the protest?

Just cause there's a whole lot of them doesn't make them any more correct. This is just political grandstanding - organized by PACs who want to disrupt the president's agenda. (And don't bother screaming "they did it first" - I still don't care).

I'm not claiming the protests are "astroturf". I'm not claiming that the protesters are paid to be there. I'm not venting moral outrage at the organizers. I'm stating facts - these protests have been organized by well connected and funded groups with the intended purpose of disrupting the President, nothing more or less. I speak from a position of knowledge - I've organized many of this same sort of protest, many times.(Not quite on the same scale, of course).

This is just grandstanding. Just like the protests during Bush's term about the war - Did it stop the war? Of course not. Will these protests make any difference? Of course not.

If this political tactic never made a difference, I doubt we would see it used as often as we do. Like it or not, this one is making some difference.

Up to two million march to US Capitol to protest against Obama's spending in 'tea-party' demonstration | Mail Online

Up to two million people marched to the U.S. Capitol today, carrying signs with slogans such as "Obamacare makes me sick" as they protested the president's health care plan and what they say is out-of-control spending.

The line of protesters spread across Pennsylvania Avenue for blocks, all the way to the capitol, according to the Washington Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency.

People were chanting "enough, enough" and "We the People." Others yelled "You lie, you lie!" and "Pelosi has to go," referring to California congresswoman Nancy Pelosi.

Far greater numbers than anyone was expecting, it seems. These protests have tapped a nerve...

That number seems high to me, there were a lot of people out there even with the weather but i dont think it was 2 million.

If you add in the protests in other cities throughout the country i bet you reach past the 2 million number, but dc looked like it was in the 100's of thousands to me.

That number seems high to me, there were a lot of people out there even with the weather but i dont think it was 2 million.
Park Police used to give official estimates, but they don't even do that now. Some independent study will come along - remote sensing, something - and that is what we will go on. Until then, it's a numbers pissing game.

It was a successful turnout regardless of the minutia.

There were 10's of thousands protesting in other cities throughout the country too.

Every few months we gather and the protests grow. These ones were 10x larger than the ones on july 4th.

The soft revolution is coming people......the time to vote out all these corrupt party politicians is now.

2010 or bust, kick out those corrupt dems and reps people and vote in new blood!!!.

Park Police used to give official estimates, but they don't even do that now. Some independent study will come along - remote sensing, something - and that is what we will go on. Until then, it's a numbers pissing game.

i heard all those millions of people came for the free beer, pizza and the decemberists.

Just cause there's a whole lot of them doesn't make them any more correct. This is just political grandstanding - organized by PACs who want to disrupt the president's agenda. (And don't bother screaming "they did it first" - I still don't care).

I'm not claiming the protests are "astroturf". I'm not claiming that the protesters are paid to be there. I'm not venting moral outrage at the organizers. I'm stating facts - these protests have been organized by well connected and funded groups with the intended purpose of disrupting the President, nothing more or less. I speak from a position of knowledge - I've organized many of this same sort of protest, many times.(Not quite on the same scale, of course).

This is just grandstanding. Just like the protests during Bush's term about the war - Did it stop the war? Of course not. Will these protests make any difference? Of course not.

If this political tactic never made a difference, I doubt we would see it used as often as we do. Like it or not, this one is making some difference.

I'll amend what I said before. Yes, protests do have some effect. What I disagree with is people who use this as proof of the "will of the people". Once again, I'll bring it back to the war protests in 2002. Their long term effect was.... (drumroll)... Nothing. We're still in Iraq.

i heard all those millions of people came for the free beer, pizza and the decemberists.

Yech Yike Eck Berliner!

Yech Yike Eck Berliner!

you sound like an illegal immigrant might sound, with brain damage.

I'll amend what I said before. Yes, protests do have some effect. What I disagree with is people who use this as proof of the "will of the people". Once again, I'll bring it back to the war protests in 2002. Their long term effect was.... (drumroll)... Nothing. We're still in Iraq.

The protesters were few in number. Again, I'll ask, provide a link to prove they were ANYTHING close to what's going on now.

2 Million??

I heard there were 2 Billion people there......why is the mainstream media hiding the true number???

2 million is the estimate given by the people who think the earth is 6000 years old. Number estimates seem to be a challenge for them.

On the other hand, there's this:

"Carrying signs depicting President Obama as Adolf Hitler and the Joker, and chanting slogans such as "'No big government" and "Obamacare makes me sick," approximately 60,000 to 70,000 people flooded Pennsylvania Ave, according to the Washington DC Fire Department."

Tea Party Protesters March on Washington - ABC News

Hmmmm. I was there for a bit. I missed these freebies. I didn't meet anyone who knew of these freebies. You were there and didn't spread the word? For shame.

Forum List

Back