Daylight Savings and Loan - a Stupid Idea

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
It's poetic justice that on the day we were forced to start lying to ourselves about what time it is (yesterday) in some kind of fake-summer fantasy ------ it snowed. :lol:

And in a couple of days the thermometer's predicted to drop to 12 degrees on a day that won't even rise to the freezing mark, all day.

The height of stupidity. Let's all pretend it's a different time than it is, so we can have "more daylight".

Want more daylight? Just do everything an hour earlier. DUH! :eusa_doh:

"Daylight Savings Time" my ass. :death: Aridzona has it right.

It's poetic justice that on the day we were forced to start lying to ourselves about what time it is (yesterday) in some kind of fake-summer fantasy ------ it snowed. :lol:

And in a couple of days the thermometer's predicted to drop to 12 degrees on a day that won't even rise to the freezing mark, all day.

The height of stupidity. Let's all pretend it's a different time than it is, so we can have "more daylight".

The very rare occasion we happen to agree on something Pogster. I am glad we do!!!!

The very rare occasion we happen to agree on something Pogster. I am glad we do!!!!

Gummint telling everybody "you just moved over one time zone". How perverted is that.

It just offends me to take the approach of changing the definition (in this case of "what time is it") rather than changing one's application. Unspeakably moronic.

All those years living in AZ - no switching back and forth. Loved it. The upper corner of the state did have DST - huge pain for them and it was caused by the BLM (not Black Lives Matter. Bureau of Land Mgmt), which, needless to say, is controlled by the feds.

So, Native Americans (Hopi and Navajjo) reservations were the only ones in AZ that went to DST.

For me, it meant trying to remember if I was 2 hours different or, is it three hours now? Did the person I was calling spring forward or fall back?

Still have that problem with friends in AZ.

Yeah, its dumb. And it was not put into effect for farmers!

All those years living in AZ - no switching back and forth. Loved it. The upper corner of the state did have DST - huge pain for them and it was caused by the BLM (not Black Lives Matter. Bureau of Land Mgmt), which, needless to say, is controlled by the feds.

So, Native Americans (Hopi and Navajjo) reservations were the only ones in AZ that went to DST.

For me, it meant trying to remember if I was 2 hours different or, is it three hours now? Did the person I was calling spring forward or fall back?

Then there's the Amish in Indiana. Amish traditionally shun DST and stay like the clock on the wall next to me, still on standard time. But then depending on how conservative they are some Amish have capitulated, and others haven't. Add to this that there are two time zones running through Indiana, and what time it is on a given Indiana Amish homestead is anybody's guess.

I have a little digital clock that syncs its time with the NIST longwave signal so it stays on time. It did not jump an hour yesterday like the other ones did. :rock:

Last edited:

Then there's the Amish in Indiana. Amish traditionally shun DST and stay like the clock on the wall next to me, still on standard time. But then depending on how conservative they are some Amish have capitulated, and others haven't. Add to this that there are two time zones running through Indiana, and what time it is on a given Amish homestead is anybody's guess.

I have a little digital clock that syncs its time with the NIST longwave signal so it stays on time. It did not jump an hour yesterday like the other ones did. :rock:

Yabut, then you're off because everyone else b-a-a-a-a-a changed their time pieces.

We have a large Mennonite community near us where we buy almost all our produce and some other things. I would imagine they don't change either.

DST is designed as an energy saver. It used to begin at the end of April and run through the end of October, ending just in time for trick-or-treating. It's since been moved up to March and extended into November to accommodate the green agenda.
Nixon implemented DST in January 1974 in order to counter the effects of Arab oil leverage. I was in high school and the sun was rising during home room.

DST is designed as an energy saver. It used to begin at the end of April and run through the end of October, ending just in time for trick-or-treating. It's since been moved up to March and extended into November to accommodate the green agenda.
Nixon implemented DST in January 1974 in order to counter the effects of Arab oil leverage. I was in high school and the sun was rising during home room.

Again, it saves no energy or anything else. It simply falsifies the clock. Exactly the same "energy-saving" would be accomplished by simply doing everything an hour earlier so that, say, a work day would start at 7 instead of 8. Which is effectively what we're doing by lying to ourselves about what time it is anyway. We cannot alter the length of day. We can alter our own activity.

It's much like if you walk down the street in bare feet and step on a nail, instead of putting shoes on you want to outlaw nails. Makes no sense.

Some years ago I went to a dentist appointment. "I'm here for my 11:00 appointment" I said. "Oh they've all gone to lunch" I was told. Apparently it was the day after the time shift ruse. Not much energy saved. I wasted a trip and had to reschedule.

]

Again, it saves no energy or anything else. It simply falsifies the clock. Exactly the same "energy-saving" would be accomplished by simply doing everything an hour earlier so that, say, a work day would start at 7 instead of 8. Which is effectively what we're doing by lying to ourselves about what time it is anyway.

Which is exactly what is accomplished by moving the clocks ahead. Perhaps standard time is the lie.

]

Again, it saves no energy or anything else. It simply falsifies the clock. Exactly the same "energy-saving" would be accomplished by simply doing everything an hour earlier so that, say, a work day would start at 7 instead of 8. Which is effectively what we're doing by lying to ourselves about what time it is anyway.
Which is exactly what is accomplished by moving the clocks ahead. Perhaps standard time is the lie.

Impossible. Standard time is, generalized within a time zone, what time it actually is, meaning at high noon the sun is where it's supposed to be, directly overhead. Once we start lying about what time it is that's not true anywhere in that time zone. Once we've crossed that bridge we might as well not have time at all.

So if you're due at work at 8 and you don't show up --- who cares? It's fake time anyway.

]

Impossible. Standard time is, generalized within a time zone, what time it actually is, meaning at high noon the sun is where it's supposed to be, directly overhead. Once we start lying about what time it is that's not true anywhere in that time zone. Once we've crossed that bridge we might as well not have time at all.

So if you're due at work at 8 and you don't show up --- who cares? It's fake time anyway.
The sun's position at noon varies between regions within a time zone. Some time zone areas on a geographic cusp don't even apply DST.

]

The sun's position at noon varies between regions within a time zone. Some time zone areas on a geographic cusp don't even apply DST.

Of course they do. I myself am pretty far west within mine so my friends and relatives on the other end of it are going to have different true noons, sunrises, sunsets, etc. That's not the issue at all. We standardized those into hour-divided bands so that when a train leaves Boston for Pittsburgh it doesn't have to constantly recalculate the next gradient in order to define what "on time" means.

That's fine; everybody in a time zone agrees that it's 7:42 and not 8:03, we pick a spot for the big hand and all agree on it (except Newfoundland/Labrador) and the only thing that changes geographically is the little hand.

---- but then suddenly at some always-moving-target time of year that's basically a rumor, we start lying to ourselves pretending the current time is an hour later than it really is, just for this fake fantasy of "more daylight". I fear there are those dense enough among us to actually think somehow we DO create more daylight. And all we're really doing is shifting all our activities earlier by an hour.

Wtf, if you want more time later, just do things earlier. Don't sneak around changing clocks to fake time and pretend "we created sunlight". I like accuracy,. Intentional pretense, not so much.

I'm tickled, in a see-I-told-you-so way, that my temp won't even reach up to 30 today with this invented fantasy summer daylight. Again it underscores what a crock it is.

Last edited:
It's too much of a tradition to change now.

I don't know what kind of "tradition" it can be since the dates have changed at least three times in my lifetime. Probably more. I can't even keep up.

December 25 is a "tradition". It's never changed.

I was thinking about this and agree it time to scrap DST. Grego on channel 39 here in Houston claim Texas might scrap DST and hope this state follow Arizona because this leap and fall is just nonsense...

Forum List

Back