daveman will be furious about this

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
Turns out, genetics MAY have an influence on crime...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/a...-at-institute-of-justice-conference.html?_r=1

“Throughout the past 30 or 40 years most criminologists couldn’t say the word ‘genetics’ without spitting,” Terrie E. Moffitt, a behavioral scientist at Duke University, said. “Today the most compelling modern theories of crime and violence weave social and biological themes together.”

Last edited:
Everyone in the field agrees there is no “crime gene.” What most researchers are looking for are inherited traits that are linked to aggression and antisocial behaviors, which may in turn lead to violent crime.

Makes sense to me.

All one need to is an historical study the behavior patterns of the Royal Families of Europe to see that there is likely a genetic component to antisocial behavior.

Just a quick drive through the Hood will show anyone that genetics plays a factor in anti-social behavior and crime.

It isn't just genetics, racism also plays a part in their plight. They have nothing, no education, no hope for anything substantive and no way to get themselves out in this economy. White people also live in the hood.

We need jobs, it would be great if our leaders realized that.

Have you ever known a murderer? I have and you know what he seemed kind and rather normal, have you ever met a CFO or high level exec, they seem kind and rather normal too. So how is it one is a criminal and the other not. Well that's not quite the case, the CIO may really do more damage than the petty criminal, think Enron's effect on its workers. The piece below is on topic and a perfect starting point for a discussion of nature v nurture.

Jim Fallon: Exploring the mind of a killer | Video on TED.com

If you want to read an interesting book that outlines the paradoxes of judgements check out Jensen's book. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Make-Believe-Derrick-Jensen/dp/1931498571/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Culture of Make Believe (9781931498579): Derrick Jensen: Books[/ame]

I am not the least bit racist.

But genetically it makes sense that environmental factors could trigger the activation of dormant genes leadind to crime and violence.

Which would go far to explain the propensity of a certain race towards criminal behavior.

I'm not sure but it seems obvious that there is not one single person in the world who would not kill under the most provoking circumstances. Heredity and genetics may be strong factors but mental health is probably the kicker. Education may have far less to do with 'it all' than most would assume but because there is wisdom that comes from living even living a hard life, a poor life.

Social connections and outreach programs seem to make a huge difference in areas of unemployment. Also, what 'self-soothing' methods are readily available? Honestly, one of the biggest problems with our growing psyches is that many of us are taught to refrain from or reject completely the very things that would deliver us from destroying ourselves and those around us.

Unemployment and depression does indeed go hand in hand, as does a lack of sex be it in or out of marriage. We live in such a materialistic sex driven society here in America that without some kind of influential grounding I am almost afraid for the future spiritual development of our generations to come.

The best criminals are white, look at Al Capone, Meyer Lansky, Lucky Luciano, John Gotti, the Russian Mafia etc etc, so does that mean whites carry more of the criminal gene than blacks?

Turns out, genetics MAY have an influence on crime...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/a...-at-institute-of-justice-conference.html?_r=1

“Throughout the past 30 or 40 years most criminologists couldn’t say the word ‘genetics’ without spitting,” Terrie E. Moffitt, a behavioral scientist at Duke University, said. “Today the most compelling modern theories of crime and violence weave social and biological themes together.”

Superfed-ButtHurtOnFacebookFail887-657.jpg

Ah yes, another nature vs nurture debate. :rolleyes:

Are people ever going to come to grips with the fact that the answer is always both?

Just take a look at the very sad and tragic story of Robert Sandifer - raised in and lived a life of crime and was murdered at only 11 years old. I'll never forget him and the story Time Magazine had on him.

Robert Sandifer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert "Yummy" Sandifer (March 12, 1983 — September 1, 1994) garnered national attention in September 1994 after his murder by fellow gang members in Chicago, Illinois.[1][2][3][4] He appeared on the cover of TIME magazine in September 1994.

Yummy's mother was a prostitute and a crack cocaine addict who had her first son at age 15. Yummy was a victim of abuse from an early age, and was sent to live with his grandmother by the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) after one of his brothers, Victor, went blind from a neglected eye infection. His grandmother's residence contained as many as 19 children on some occasions. Sandifer, at age 8, quit regularly attending school and took to the streets stealing cars and breaking into houses. The year before his death he was removed to a DCFS shelter on Chicago's north side, which he ran away from.

Nicknamed Yummy because of his love of junk food, Sandifer was a young member of the street gang the Black Disciples. After committing murder, arson and armed robbery, he was executed by fellow gang members who feared he could be turned snitch. Coverage of Sandifer's death and retrospectives on his short, violent life were widely published in the American media, and Sandifer became a symbol of the gang problem in American inner cities, the failure of social safety netting, and the shortcomings of the juvenile justice system.

My belief is that it's called sin, and we are all capable of it. And sin leads to sin and only hurts ourselves or others. The way we are raised by our parents, (or lack of) our surroundings etc, will mostly likely will have an impact on our actions, though not always. God can do anything and work miracles in our lives, to help us turn away from sins, help us love others/ourselves. His Grace is sufficient.

Last edited:
daveman will be furious

I don't know about 'furious', but at least he was man enough to admit that it makes his butt hurt.

Not at all. Years and years and years ago, I banned Billy ze Nazi on another board.

His butt never has healed. I thought maybe he could call a lawyer.

Either he behaved very differently on this 'other' board or your banning him was a dick move and an abuse of authority. I might disagree with many of his views, but I've never seen him behave in any way that should have him banned.

Just sayin...

Just take a look at the very sad and tragic story of Robert Sandifer - raised in and lived a life of crime and was murdered at only 11 years old. I'll never forget him and the story Time Magazine had on him.

Robert Sandifer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert "Yummy" Sandifer (March 12, 1983 — September 1, 1994) garnered national attention in September 1994 after his murder by fellow gang members in Chicago, Illinois.[1][2][3][4] He appeared on the cover of TIME magazine in September 1994.

Yummy's mother was a prostitute and a crack cocaine addict who had her first son at age 15. Yummy was a victim of abuse from an early age, and was sent to live with his grandmother by the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) after one of his brothers, Victor, went blind from a neglected eye infection. His grandmother's residence contained as many as 19 children on some occasions. Sandifer, at age 8, quit regularly attending school and took to the streets stealing cars and breaking into houses. The year before his death he was removed to a DCFS shelter on Chicago's north side, which he ran away from.

Nicknamed Yummy because of his love of junk food, Sandifer was a young member of the street gang the Black Disciples. After committing murder, arson and armed robbery, he was executed by fellow gang members who feared he could be turned snitch. Coverage of Sandifer's death and retrospectives on his short, violent life were widely published in the American media, and Sandifer became a symbol of the gang problem in American inner cities, the failure of social safety netting, and the shortcomings of the juvenile justice system.

My belief is that it's called sin, and we are all capable of it. And sin leads to sin and only hurts ourselves or others. The way we are raised by our parents, (or lack of) our surroundings etc, will mostly likely will have an impact on our actions, though not always. God can do anything and work miracles in our lives, to help us turn away from sins, help us love others/ourselves. His Grace is sufficient.

That is such a sad story, it sounds like the kid never really had a chance.:(

I don't know about 'furious', but at least he was man enough to admit that it makes his butt hurt.

Not at all. Years and years and years ago, I banned Billy ze Nazi on another board.

Either he behaved very differently on this 'other' board or your banning him was a dick move and an abuse of authority. I might disagree with many of his views, but I've never seen him behave in any way that should have him banned.

Just sayin...
Not knowing the board, its rules, or the situation, perhaps you should just shut up...?

Just sayin...
Not knowing the board, its rules, or the situation, perhaps you should just shut up...?

I guess it's the latter then. Thanks for showing your hand so easily. :thup:

Just sayin...

I guess it's the latter then. Thanks for showing your hand so easily. :thup:
Thanks for pretending you can speak authoritatively about a board you've probably never been on and about a situation of which you know nothing. :thup:

Just a quick drive through the Hood will show anyone that genetics plays a factor in anti-social behavior and crime.

It isn't just genetics, racism also plays a part in their plight. They have nothing, no education, no hope for anything substantive and no way to get themselves out in this economy. White people also live in the hood.

We need jobs, it would be great if our leaders realized that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

we don't need no damn jobs,, we gots all the money in da world, we sent meech, her kids, her brother, his kids and BET on a vacation to Botswanna. What you mean we need jobs?

Forum List

Back