Dads, did you cut the umbilical cord?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
Did you cut the umbilical cord on your newborn infant?

What is the purpose of this fad?

Is it some symbolic move supposed to cut the bond between the mother and the child? We know that that doesn't work.

If you did it, why?

I cut it on my daughter but not my son. His placenta decided it wanted to come out before him which caused a bloody mess. I drove my wife to the nearest hospital and he was born by Cesarean section.

Why? they asked if I wanted too. I said sure. I never thought about the symbolism of the task.

I did, because they asked if I wanted to do it. I can't visualize it, so it must not have been that important.

Is it some symbolic move supposed to cut the bond between the mother and the child? We know that that doesn't work.

If you did it, why?

First daughter's birth.
V-Birth and the female doctor hands me some scissors and says "Cut the cord".
I look at her and say, "That's what I'm paying you for".

Second daughter's birth.
C-section. Same doctor tries to get me to pass out by showing me guts. Or maybe it was just a distraction from the distressed birth.
I didn't cut the cord then either.

I cut it on my daughter but not my son. His placenta decided it wanted to come out before him which caused a bloody mess. I drove my wife to the nearest hospital and he was born by Cesarean section.

Why? they asked if I wanted too. I said sure. I never thought about the symbolism of the task.

Interesting. THEY asked you?

If you did it, why?

Is it really a "fad"?
Been going on over 20 years.

Such an odd thread.

The reason I ask is that I was doing a rotation through the OB Surgery. I haven't done that in a long time and the dad was telling me his only regret about the C-Section was that he couldn't cut the cord. I later asked the L&D Nurses and they said lots of dad's do it. I didn't know WE asked. I guess it's a way to get returning customers. hospitals make big bucks on delivering babies.

If you did it, why?

First daughter's birth.

Second daughter's birth.
C-section. Same doctor tries to get me to pass out by showing me guts. Or maybe it was just a distraction from the distressed birth.

Thanks for the laugh.

Such an odd thread.

The reason I ask is that I was doing a rotation through the OB Surgery. I haven't done that in a long time and the dad was telling me his only regret about the C-Section was that he couldn't cut the cord. I later asked the L&D Nurses and they said lots of dad's do it. I didn't know WE asked. I guess it's a way to get returning customers. hospitals make big bucks on delivering babies.

How would that ensure return customers? :eusa_eh:

If you did it, why?

First daughter's birth.

Second daughter's birth.

Thanks for the laugh.

I'm serious.
No insurance on that first child either.

If you did it, why?

I think it just makes the dads feel more involved and part of the process than just standing there, telling Mom to breathe and being cussed at.

I don't remember if Joe cut the cord with either of my boys. I'll have to ask him.

Update: my daughter tells me that he DID cut it with my oldest son, but she wasn't there when I had the youngest, so she doesn't know.

If you did it, why?

I'd love to have been allowed to do that... for that matter, I'd love to have been allowed in the delivery room...

Interesting. THEY asked you?

Besides my wife, me, and eventually my daughter, there were three people in the delivery room. I can't remember who asked if I wanted to cut the cord so I wrote they to give THEM all credit.

I asked a friend at work if he was in there for the delivery...
He said he was...
He also told me it didn't smell too good in that room....

Yckkk !

Forum List

Back