Dads, did you cut the umbilical cord?

Did you cut the umbilical cord on your newborn infant?

What is the purpose of this fad?

Is it some symbolic move supposed to cut the bond between the mother and the child? We know that that doesn't work.

If you did it, why?

I think it just makes the dads feel more involved and part of the process than just standing there, telling Mom to breathe and being cussed at.

I don't remember if Joe cut the cord with either of my boys. I'll have to ask him.

Update: my daughter tells me that he DID cut it with my oldest son, but she wasn't there when I had the youngest, so she doesn't know.

True. My wife delivered vaginally without meds or a block to a 10 pound 12 ounce girl. She was cussing me so bad I went to the business end waiting for her to emerge. The OB came close to snapping the baby's clavicles in order to get her through. She was stuck in the canal so long that she came out blue as a smurf. Scary shit.

I asked a friend at work if he was in there for the delivery...
He said he was...
He also told me it didn't smell too good in that room....

Yckkk !

Sometimes a little poop squirts out the anus while junior squirts out the vuh jay jay.

I asked a friend at work if he was in there for the delivery...
He said he was...
He also told me it didn't smell too good in that room....

Yckkk !

Sometimes a little poop squirts out the anus while junior squirts out the vuh jay jay.

Sometimes the baby decides to have a giant, splattering BM just as he emerges. I have seen this happen, which is why one should stand well back, out of the splash zone.

Joe says he cut Nicky's because the doctor offered, and it was a, "Pff, why not?" sort of moment. Typical guy. "But why'd you do it?" "Because I could."

For what we paid those doctors, why would I do half their work for them? Hell no, those fuckers earned every penny...

Is it some symbolic move supposed to cut the bond between the mother and the child? We know that that doesn't work.

If you did it, why?

Is it really a "fad"?
Been going on over 20 years.

It's been a while since I have rotated through OB Surgery, but not 20 years.

Such an odd thread.

The reason I ask is that I was doing a rotation through the OB Surgery. I haven't done that in a long time and the dad was telling me his only regret about the C-Section was that he couldn't cut the cord. I later asked the L&D Nurses and they said lots of dad's do it. I didn't know WE asked. I guess it's a way to get returning customers. hospitals make big bucks on delivering babies.

How would that ensure return customers? :eusa_eh:

Anything we can do to make the experience at our facility more enjoyable than our competitors.

First daughter's birth.
V-Birth and the female doctor hands me some scissors and says "Cut the cord".
I look at her and say, "That's what I'm paying you for".

Second daughter's birth.
C-section. Same doctor tries to get me to pass out by showing me guts. Or maybe it was just a distraction from the distressed birth.
I didn't cut the cord then either.

Thanks for the laugh.

I'm serious.
No insurance on that first child either.

I believe you, but the post is funny.

If you did it, why?

I think it just makes the dads feel more involved and part of the process than just standing there, telling Mom to breathe and being cussed at.

I don't remember if Joe cut the cord with either of my boys. I'll have to ask him.

Update: my daughter tells me that he DID cut it with my oldest son, but she wasn't there when I had the youngest, so she doesn't know.

I have learned from this thread that hospitals are asking if the fathers want to do it. I can only assume that you are correct. I was looking for some symbolism that wasn't there.

If you did it, why?

I'd love to have been allowed to do that... for that matter, I'd love to have been allowed in the delivery room...

They saw you picking your nose and asked you to stay outside.

They offered, I declined.
Honestly I didn't see the logic in how it is supposed to make you feel "involved" in the birth.
Both our kids were C-Section...I was very involved after the child was born as my wife couldn't take care of them for the first 3-4 days.

I cut it on my daughter but not my son. His placenta decided it wanted to come out before him which caused a bloody mess. I drove my wife to the nearest hospital and he was born by Cesarean section.

Why? they asked if I wanted too. I said sure. I never thought about the symbolism of the task.

Interesting. THEY asked you?

Besides my wife, me, and eventually my daughter, there were three people in the delivery room. I can't remember who asked if I wanted to cut the cord so I wrote they to give THEM all credit.

I phrased that wrong. What I meant was that they asked, not you.

Forum List

Back