Credit Card Woes

Discussion in 'Economy' started by xsited1, Feb 19, 2011.

1. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    I've used credit cards since I was a teenager. I always get cards with zero annual fee and always pay them off at the end of the month.

Anyway, I just canceled one of my credit cards today. Why? Because they kept calling me and calling me and calling me about some other "deal" they thought I'd be interested in buying. Most of the time they would call me at dinnertime, but sometimes they would call as late as 10:00 p.m. I called them to ask them to stop on at least 3 occasions and they never did. When I mentioned I was on the Do Not Call registry, they said "since you have an account with us, we can call you anytime we wish." Not very nice.

So they asked me why I would cancel a credit card with an interest rate below 6% and years being in good-standing with them. I told them they wouldn't stop calling. They asked if there was anything they could do to keep me. I said, "No, we've already been down this road. Anyway, I've already acquired another card to replace yours so it's a done deal." The lady then sounded somewhat indignant and said that if I ever wanted to open an account with them again, I would not be able to. I said, "That's fine. I get at least 1-2 credit card applications a week in the mail. I won't ever have a need to use your services again."

As I get closer to 50, I'm really getting grouchy, aren't I. The next thing you know I'll be telling the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn.

One more thing. The lady said there may be some follow-up calls. I asked why? She said it just might happen. I told her never to call me again and since I'm on the Do Not Call list, I'd probably find a way to press charges. She said that I wouldn't have any legal standing to do so and there was no need to threaten her. I told her I wasn't threatening her. I was just telling her what was going to happen if they continued to call me.

Wow, I'm grouchy.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I feel better. :party:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Jos

Jos BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +733
    Legally speaking, if you tell them never to call you again and they call that's harassment, same for debt collectors, tell them never to call again
    As for them kids, get a paintball marker, works on stray cats too, grouchy

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  3. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    I don't do credit cards.

*throws empty juicebox onto your thread*

4. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    Thanks. That's what I thought, but they seem to think they can act with impunity. BTW, I can't remember the name of the credit card company, but if I ever DISCOVER what it was I'll let you know.

5. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Aggressive little shits, ain't they? If they are calling your landline, once the call is over, hang up and dial *57. That traps the caller's number, the date and time but only law enforcement can retrieve it. Handy -- misdemeanor telephone harassment is a crime in most jurisdictions.

6. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    Good idea! It wouldn't have bothered me if they hadn't been so relentless in calling. Day after day they would call. The lady seem surprised that a card member in good standing with such a low interest rate would cancel the card. I told here, "let me give you some advice. When you get a good customer in good standing that always pays his bills on time, don't harass them because they'll leave." But they don't care. This is going to sound crass, but I think of credit card companies as my bitches. If they don't do what I say, they will be punished. :razz:

7. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,381
    Have any of y'all gotten spam calls from WCA? I'm getting them everyday and I want to put them on the no call list but every time they call its from a different area code. Really pisses me off. Oh yeah, if you don't say anything when you answer the phone, nothing happens and as soon as you say hello this damn recording comes on. This really pisses me off.

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    You would have no gegal standing per the do not call list rules, I think they can keep calling you for 6 months?

9. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,458
    We used to get a LOT of messages left on our answering service from this or that bank wanting to upgrade our credit card or offer a new service. We have our phone on the no call list too which does seem to discourage the carpet cleaning services and Ginzo knife marketers and such. But alas, no deterrant to the credit card companies.

We now have our credit cards--three different accounts--with one bank and have blown their telemarketers off so many times they don't bother us more than once a month or so anymore.

But thank goodness we're past the election and aren't getting the political calls all during the dinner hour up until bedtime every night. Plus one local candidate screwed up and his robocalls were going out at like 3 a.m. I don't think he made many friends that way. I don't think he was elected either.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yep I wish we could have political calls on the do not call list as well.