Covid hospitalizations on the rise

When I was majoring in Computer Science in the 1980s, I did most of my coursework on a VAX. I never saw any signs that my healthy tissues had any effect on the VAX at all. But then I never observed that the VAX had any negative effects, anyway. It was a fine computer system, in its time.
I quit my engineering study at Drexel in the 80s largely because my "advisor" insisted that I work for him programming his boring, outdated VAX as my senior project. The asshole would discuss none of my suggestions whatsoever. As I expected, the VAX computer was history within a few years.

That said, this joke was lame the first time. How many times are you planning to repeat it? Fact:

Vax derived from the Latin word vacca, which means cow, was first recorded in English in 1799. Its derivatives vaccinate and vaccination both first appeared in 1800.
According to the OED, this is due this is due to English physician and scientist Edward Jenner's pioneering work on vaccination against smallpox in the late 1790s and early 1800s.

I quit my engineering study at Drexel in the 80s largely because my "advisor" insisted that I work for him programming his boring, outdated VAX as my senior project. The asshole would discuss none of my suggestions whatsoever. As I expected, the VAX computer was history within a few years.

The VAX continued to be produced until around 2005. The 1980s were its prime.

If the Left wants to use a virus fear to mass mail votes and steal an election next year, their buddies in the CCP have to turn another "novel" corona virus loose.

The girlfriend is on those social media sites and said, "Blimey, (name) has said he's got COVID and off work". We both said at the same time, "Is COVID still a thing?".

The VAX continued to be produced until around 2005. The 1980s were its prime.
So what? DEC officially died in 1998. I knew the VAX was way too big, simplistic, boring (CP/M and Unix), and expensive for what it accomplished. By '85 I'd already been programming complex graphics on many PC platforms for years. My sister was working as a systems analyst for CompuServe. Her fiancé was training techs for Xerox. I had, in fact, already realized that my days of programming for others were over. I still enjoyed nothing more, but no one was about to pay me what I was worth. I moved on.. starting my own landscaping business and did very well.

So what? DEC officially died in 1998.

It was bought out by Compaq in 1988. Under Compaq, it still continued to operate under its brand, and continued to develop and manufacture the products for which it had been known, including development of the Alpha line as a successor to the VAX. Hewlett Packard bought out Compaq in 2002, and it was under HP that much of what had been DEC fell away. The last VAX was made in 2005, and Alpha line was essentially abandoned.

I knew the VAX was way too big, simplistic, boring (CP/M and Unix)

CP/M? That was an operating system for much smaller-scale computers than what the VAX represented. I suppose it's possible that someone ported CP/M to run on the VAX, but that would have been rathe pointless, I think. I don't doubt that Unix was ported to the VAX, but the native operating system for the VAX was VMS.

By '85 I'd already been programming complex graphics on many PC platforms for years.

Different scale, different market, different purposes.

Your position is like that of someone who dismisses an 18-wheeler semi-truck because of how it compares to a sports car.

If the Left wants to use a virus fear to mass mail votes and steal an election next year, their buddies in the CCP have to turn another "novel" corona virus loose.

Yes, and this is how it's going to be called....

1696198053670.png

I am getting over my first bout with the Wu-Tang flu right now. It is not a big deal.
I avoided it until the new and improved Omicron version came around. I felt like I had a milder case of the flu that lasted about 3 days. I was up and about after that but a couple of weeks later I began having shortness of breath and it took me several months of dedicated walking to get beyond it.
I almost had to go on supplemental O2 but thankfully, I avoided that. Covid was deadly in the beginning because it had never been seen in human populations so no one had any immunity. At this point, it has done what nearly all viruses do - become easier to catch and less deadly to its host.

It was bought out by Compaq in 1988.
Try 1998, butt plucker.
Your position is like that of someone who dismisses an 18-wheeler semi-truck because of how it compares to a sports car.
Oh shush. I've actually driven 18-wheelers and programmed computers. You're too young to have personally experienced either mainframes or minicomputers.. and you sound more like a fifth wheel than anyone who's ever operated one.
As Edgar Schien notes in his book DEC Is Dead, Long Live DEC: The Lasting Legacy of Digital Equipment Corporation, DEC ran into trouble in the late 1980s and early 1990s because its VMS operating system ran only on VAX machines, while Microsoft’s Windows operating system could run on “any clone PC from Dell, Compaq, IBM, Gateway, and so forth.” The UNIX and Linux operating systems could also run on any computer architecture.
VAX -- Intentionally myopic. Outdated. Limited. Boring!

Forum List

Back