Couple Of Questions About The John Edwards Case

I'm not convinced that a crime was committed here.

It seems as if Edwards is being tried for being a scumbag, jerk and most importantly...a Democrat.

Of course you are not. He is a liberal, therefore whatever he does is in a gray fog.
You have been told several times what the charges are. Yet you continue to say "I don't think there is a crime here".
Go figure.
If this was Mitt Romney you would be all over it. And every single person who knows your posting here knows this all too well.

Yep

It seems as if Edwards is being tried for being a scumbag, jerk and most importantly...a Democrat.

Whether you are convinced or not is of no consequence. The facts - I know you prefer opinion to fact - do not look good for Edwards. However, like everyone else, he is entitled to due process to establish guilt or innocence. That, is a damned sight more than you do for Zimmerman... since you went with 'guilty' and trial by media. Sick freak.

No one died as a result of what Edwards did.

Actually, the facts are questionable in this case at best, but Edwards will probably be convicted.

A Lawyer friend of mine once said, if you are arguing the law, you go before a judge, but if you are arguing emotion, you get a jury.

Whether you are convinced or not is of no consequence. The facts - I know you prefer opinion to fact - do not look good for Edwards. However, like everyone else, he is entitled to due process to establish guilt or innocence. That, is a damned sight more than you do for Zimmerman... since you went with 'guilty' and trial by media. Sick freak.

Actually, the facts are questionable in this case at best, but Edwards will probably be convicted.

A Lawyer friend of mine once said, if you are arguing the law, you go before a judge, but if you are arguing emotion, you get a jury.

So, in your view, if no one dies, no one should face charges for wrong doing? Interesting opinion.... if somewhat fucking ridiculous.

You're dismissed as too stupid for debate.

So, in your view, if no one dies, no one should face charges for wrong doing? Interesting opinion.... if somewhat fucking ridiculous.

You're dismissed as too stupid for debate.

No, the ridiculous thing is thinking when a 250 lbs bully shoots an unarmed kid, there is some theory in the universe where this becomes okay and something the authorities shouldn't be looking into.

But I know you have to really believe Zimmerman is innocent... even if it laughable to sensible people.

You radical partisan wretch....

These are all ALLEGED charges, NONE of these have been proven as FACTS. Yet YOU wish to treat them as such.

As Joe posted earlier...
He didn't pay her out of his campaign fund, which would have been illegal. He got rich friends to pay his aide who paid her after his aide embezzled a good deal of that money.

Edwards hasn't committed any crimes. With all these wails and moans screaming for justice in this faux Edwards case and political witch-hunt that's being conducted by the right, I've yet to see one substantial crime that's been committed by Edwards. Thus far NONE of you have been able to produce it.

I think he's scum, and if you listen to what's been said on the Left about Edwards, it's not nice, but most sensible people see this as a witch hunt.

If it's not a witch-hunt there are many others that did similar and worse things in very recently and have been conducting their lives without consequence. Christine O'Donnell comes to mind. BTW, what are your thoughts about Christine O'Donnell's dealings?

Christine O'Donnell: OK to use $20,000 in campaign funds to pay her rent? - CSMonitor.com
Feds investigating Christine O’Donnell for misusing campaign funds « Hot Air
CREW Calls for criminal investigation into Christine O’Donnell for campaign finance fraud | CREW | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
Delaware Senate Race | Christine O'Donnell denies allegation she misused campaign funds in failed Senate bid - Los Angeles Times
O'Donnell blames disgruntled former aides for probe - politics - Decision 2010 - msnbc.com

As you can see, first the witch ignored the problem. Once that stopped working she then denied it. Once that was no longer possible, she then blamed others for the problem. No PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY whatsoever and most importantly not ONE cry from the Right to pursue her for the crimes that SHE HERSELF committed by misusing funds.

What say you?

Last edited:
I think diverting Campaign Funds is a real problem, Marc. It is what it is.

No, don't give me the "it is what is is" crap.

What CRIME was committed here?

Please answer...if you can.

Edwards is accused of accepting more than $900,000 in illegal contributions during his 2008 bid for the Democratic presidential nomination to pay the expenses of his mistress and hide the extramarital affair that, if revealed to voters, almost certainly would have derailed his campaign and shattered his public image as a devoted family man.

John Edwards' trial set to begin on campaign finance charges - Los Angeles Times

It is what it is.

The prosecution's star witness today said clearly the $$$ came from private funds and that Edwards clearly believed what they were doing was legal. If the $$$ can't be traced into the campaign accounting itself, this man, whom I despise, may well walk away free.

That's what Trials are for. If He is innocent of the Charges, and that is determined, he should walk.

Hopefully it'll set a sturdy precedent.
:cool:

Again, in the world since then, we have the Citizen's United Decision, where 10 rich Sugar Daddies can pay millions into a PAC to make Mitt Romney look like a real human being, and that's perfectly legal.

Whatever happened with Edwards seems a bit pale by comparison.

Bait and switch? :lol: Concentrate, try not to drift.

I think diverting Campaign Funds is a real problem, Marc. It is what it is.

Edwards is accused of accepting more than $900,000 in illegal contributions during his 2008 bid for the Democratic presidential nomination to pay the expenses of his mistress and hide the extramarital affair that, if revealed to voters, almost certainly would have derailed his campaign and shattered his public image as a devoted family man.

John Edwards' trial set to begin on campaign finance charges - Los Angeles Times

It is what it is.
OK, so the prosecution is trying to make the argument that John Edwards himself accepted 900K in illegal contributions...

Cool. Good luck w/them PROVING that.

As many have said, referring to the Martin/Zimmerman case, he's innocent UNTIL proven guilty.

So tell me, kind sir, what's the difference with this case and the John Ensign case...?

John Ensign's parents paid $96K to his mistress - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com
Sen. John Ensign enlisted his parents to help pay off ex-mistress - New York Daily News
Breaking News: Sen. John Ensign's Parents Paid His Mistress $100,000 - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHRZHXZZu6A]John Ensign story gets uglier, his parents paid $100,000 to his mistress - YouTube[/ame]

It seems that Ensign was actually MORE implicated and involved than Edwards.

Do you recall what the arguments were from the Right during that time as to the Ensign situation?

Did Ensign or his parents use campaign money to pay off the mistress? That's the difference.

Question: would it still be a witch hunt if Edwards was a republican? For you, I doubt it.

Did Ensign or his parents use campaign money to pay off the mistress? That's the difference.

Question: would it still be a witch hunt if Edwards was a republican? For you, I doubt it.
Ahhh...I'm so glad that YOU brought up this point.

Did Edwards himself accept money or did someone else?

Using campaign funds to pay off a woman he had an affair with.

What's the name of the crime?

And recently The Witch from Delaware was running for office, she used funds inappropriately as well, to pay for her living expenses. I suppose she should be hunted down and hauled before a tribuna...I mean...jury as well...right?

And let's not forget Bill Clinton who was guilty of whatever Edwards was....

It is what it is.
OK, so the prosecution is trying to make the argument that John Edwards himself accepted 900K in illegal contributions...

Cool. Good luck w/them PROVING that.

As many have said, referring to the Martin/Zimmerman case, he's innocent UNTIL proven guilty.

So tell me, kind sir, what's the difference with this case and the John Ensign case...?

John Ensign's parents paid $96K to his mistress - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com
Sen. John Ensign enlisted his parents to help pay off ex-mistress - New York Daily News
Breaking News: Sen. John Ensign's Parents Paid His Mistress $100,000 - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHRZHXZZu6A]John Ensign story gets uglier, his parents paid $100,000 to his mistress - YouTube[/ame]

It seems that Ensign was actually MORE implicated and involved than Edwards.

Do you recall what the arguments were from the Right during that time as to the Ensign situation?

Agreed. Consider too, whose bidding Ensign was doing. Who's agent was he? Still, we are agreed that the burden of proof lies with the prosecution.

I assume you meant pay it out, accepting it means nothing. You don't think he should be responsible for how donations to his campaign are spent? C'mon dude, whether he does it himself or gets someone else to do his dirty work, isn't he just as guilty?

Using campaign funds to pay off a woman he had an affair with.

And recently The Witch from Delaware was running for office, she used funds inappropriately as well, to pay for her living expenses. I suppose she should be hunted down and hauled before a tribuna...I mean...jury as well...right?

There was no CRIME committed then, so Bill was guilty of nada.

I assume you meant pay it out, accepting it means nothing. You don't think he should be responsible for how donations to his campaign are spent? C'mon dude, whether he does it himself or gets someone else to do his dirty work, isn't he just as guilty?
Ahhhh yes.....NOW we're getting to the root matter of the partisan witch-hunt. It matters not to the Right whether or not Edwards actually COMMITTED a crime, it only matters that Edwards is a Democrat who they really do not like and he should be punished by any means necessary.

I rest my case.

There was no CRIME committed then, so Bill was guilty of nada.

Other than a few Rapes maybe. Not to mention the shady crap that went on with China. Otherwise he did a pretty good job moving from Left to Center, yes.

The prosecution's star witness today said clearly the $$$ came from private funds and that Edwards clearly believed what they were doing was legal. If the $$$ can't be traced into the campaign accounting itself, this man, whom I despise, may well walk away free.
And is that a good thing or bad thing as you see it?

MarcATL, if the jury finds Edwards innocent or guilty, I will have no trouble abiding the decision.

I have noticed the some of the far right weirdos above seem to want him convicted simply because he is a liberal. Seems very American to me, because I know some liberals who believe Cheney should be convicted because . . . he is Cheney. Very American.

Forum List

Back