Could Today's Yoots Fathom...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
"The D.I.," starring Jack Webb. The making of a Marine. Boot Camp.

When I hear young people talking about patriotism, military service, and - this rare - what it means to be a "man," I often think of this film. I would be seriously curious to see how young males would react to this film, which I believe was a cultural tour de force.

When I hear young people talking about patriotism, military service, and - this rare - what it means to be a "man," I often think of this film. I would be seriously curious to see how young males would react to this film, which I believe was a cultural tour de force.

I like that film. Jack Webb was pretty fit in his pre-Dragnet days.

I watched that movie the night before I went to MCRD. My brother shaved my head--I figured I was going to deny them that. LMAO--no chance. They made me give the barber the chit and go through the motions anyway.

Fit young men don't want to deal with girly men.
Yep, the Dems have turned the military into a gay amusement park.
The women in the military have to worry about getting a cross dressing man for a roommate.
corporalklinger.jpg

One aspect of the D.I. was that it takes place during peacetime. Before Vietnam. It focuses on simply taking a typical young man and turning him into a Marine. A man. What institution in our current culture does that? Not even the Armed Forces, I suspect.

I speak from experience "Platoon 382". With certain limitations, Lee Ermey in FMJ was a hell of a lot more accurate than Jack Webb's toned down Parris Island D.I.

Forum List

Back