Could aliens look like us?

You can't build fires and smelt copper and steel if you live underwater.

Well discussed already above. What can not be done underwater can always be done over water. The atmosphere for a water inhabitant is incomparably more accessible than space for a land-dweller.

View attachment 158937

Life can't evolve in a vacume, so your analogy is not useful. How is a creeature that lives underwater going to make steel "over water?"

I am not saying I know how an alien culture developed its technology. I am simply pointing out that there are things on earth that show what I said to be possible.

For all we know, aliens developed telekinesis and need no appendages at all.

Actually the history of life on earth, and especially of human life on earth, shows that what you claim simply isn't feasible.

It shows it has not happened on earth. YOu want to use life forms on earth to limit what could be possible everywhere in the universe.

At one time the limits of where life could develop were thought to be set. Then we found life existing in places we thought it could not.

The fact that it hasn't happened on earth means it probably hasn't happened anywhere else. it hasn't happened here because the laws of nature preclude it from happening. I'm not sure what "limits" you're referring to, but our ignorance of certain organism doesn't mean that anything is possible.

I am not ignorant of biological life forms on earth. What I was referring to is the discovery of life forms on volcanic vents or in geothermal waters. In both cases, the scientific descriptions of the parameters of life were changed by these discoveries.

There is absolutely no reason to assume our planet's life forms are examples of the limits of life forms that evolved in very different environments.

The life forms discovered around volcanic vents are extremely primitive. The idea that they could develop into intelligent lifeforms doesn't pass the smell test.

Why? They have not developed here because there is advanced competition. But the fact that you think that means they could never have done so anywhere is the universe shows your own views are limited by what is found here on earth.

If what you think is true, then life can ONLY develop on planets with the same water to land ratio, the same gravity, the same temperature range, and the same chemical structures and elements in the same proportions. In other words, only if there is another Earth.

You can't build fires and smelt copper and steel if you live underwater.

Well discussed already above. What can not be done underwater can always be done over water. The atmosphere for a water inhabitant is incomparably more accessible than space for a land-dweller.

View attachment 158937

Life can't evolve in a vacume, so your analogy is not useful. How is a creeature that lives underwater going to make steel "over water?"

I already gave you an answer to that. Reread my examples.

If you buy into Evolution, then the mutations that survive are random, and specific to the environment. There were millions of mutations that all contributed to the evolution of homo sapiens. Even assuming that it took place on another planet like earth there is no statistical chance that another life form would evolve looking like "us." No chance whatsoever.

Seriously, this is the strongest argument for the existence of "god." We are fucking unique. There is NO CHANCE that we could have evolved through random mutations.
You don't understand what the term "natural selection" means. The mutations are random, but the ones that survive are not random. The environment and competition from other species determine which ones surive.

And yet, you decided that only things that have evolved on earth, a very specific environment, would evolve on other planets which will have very different environments in almost every way.

The same forces that guide evolution on this planet will also guide evolution on other planets. Life evolves on planets that have liquid water. if there is no dry land on the planet, then not technical species will evolve. It's simply impossible for creatures living underwater to develop techology beyond a primitive level.

So you keep saying. Without any real basis, I might add.

ROFL! You must be joking. There's a principle in cosmology that says the same processes and physical laws that operate here operate everywhere else in the universe. Is it possible that some form of life not based on carbon and liquid water could evolve somewhere else in the universe? Possibly, but so far we've seen no evidence of such.

If you buy into Evolution, then the mutations that survive are random, and specific to the environment. There were millions of mutations that all contributed to the evolution of homo sapiens. Even assuming that it took place on another planet like earth there is no statistical chance that another life form would evolve looking like "us." No chance whatsoever.

Seriously, this is the strongest argument for the existence of "god." We are fucking unique. There is NO CHANCE that we could have evolved through random mutations.
You don't understand what the term "natural selection" means. The mutations are random, but the ones that survive are not random. The environment and competition from other species determine which ones surive.

And yet, you decided that only things that have evolved on earth, a very specific environment, would evolve on other planets which will have very different environments in almost every way.

The same forces that guide evolution on this planet will also guide evolution on other planets. Life evolves on planets that have liquid water. if there is no dry land on the planet, then not technical species will evolve. It's simply impossible for creatures living underwater to develop techology beyond a primitive level.

ROFL! You must be joking. There's a principle in cosmology that says the same processes and physical laws that operate here operate everywhere else in the universe. Is it possible that some form of life not based on carbon and liquid water could evolve somewhere else in the universe? Possibly, but so far we've seen no evidence of such.

Nothing I have said defies any laws of physics. I have suggested no process that is without possibility. I have simply not limited my suggestions to what is found here.

Actually the history of life on earth, and especially of human life on earth, shows that what you claim simply isn't feasible.

It shows it has not happened on earth. YOu want to use life forms on earth to limit what could be possible everywhere in the universe.

At one time the limits of where life could develop were thought to be set. Then we found life existing in places we thought it could not.

The fact that it hasn't happened on earth means it probably hasn't happened anywhere else. it hasn't happened here because the laws of nature preclude it from happening. I'm not sure what "limits" you're referring to, but our ignorance of certain organism doesn't mean that anything is possible.

I am not ignorant of biological life forms on earth. What I was referring to is the discovery of life forms on volcanic vents or in geothermal waters. In both cases, the scientific descriptions of the parameters of life were changed by these discoveries.

There is absolutely no reason to assume our planet's life forms are examples of the limits of life forms that evolved in very different environments.

The life forms discovered around volcanic vents are extremely primitive. The idea that they could develop into intelligent lifeforms doesn't pass the smell test.

Why? They have not developed here because there is advanced competition. But the fact that you think that means they could never have done so anywhere is the universe shows your own views are limited by what is found here on earth.

If what you think is true, then life can ONLY develop on planets with the same water to land ratio, the same gravity, the same temperature range, and the same chemical structures and elements in the same proportions. In other words, only if there is another Earth.

If life around volcanic vents exists on other planets, it will also face competition. The same forces would be in play. Why would you believe that life that evolved in the sunlight wouldn't exist on the planet you describe?

Nothing I have said defies any laws of physics. I have suggested no process that is without possibility. I have simply not limited my suggestions to what is found here.
You're suggesting that the law of natural selection might operate differently on another planet. That simply isn't possible.

2045: All is well as far as the issue of marriage and who is allowed to marry who goes. The angst of the culture wars is a fading memory. Marital bliss for all. But wait! Farmer Brown in Montana wants to marry his flock of sheep. That same year, space aliens who have been living among us for centuries reveal themselves to us. Young people are fascinated by them and “hooking up” and marrying them becomes a fast moving fad.

However, according to the conservatives, marriage is only for and among humans. The fight begins anew. Pat Robertson literally turns in his grave and Michelle Bachman, now 92, comes out of retirement and teams up with Rick Perry 95 and Rick Santorum 93, to start a clinic to cure people of wanting to have sex with aliens, legal or other wise.''

At the same time, congressional Republicans introduce a constitutional amendment against (space) alien marriage and adopt a party platform to encourage them to self deport.

Pope Francis II says “Maybe civil unions”

2045: All is well as far as the issue of marriage and who is allowed to marry who goes. The angst of the culture wars is a fading memory. Marital bliss for all. But wait! Farmer Brown in Montana wants to marry his flock of sheep. That same year, space aliens who have been living among us for centuries reveal themselves to us. Young people are fascinated by them and “hooking up” and marrying them becomes a fast moving fad.

However, according to the conservatives, marriage is only for and among humans. The fight begins anew. Pat Robertson literally turns in his grave and Michelle Bachman, now 92, comes out of retirement and teams up with Rick Perry 95 and Rick Santorum 93, to start a clinic to cure people of wanting to have sex with aliens, legal or other wise.''

At the same time, congressional Republicans introduce a constitutional amendment against (space) alien marriage and adopt a party platform to encourage them to self deport. Pope Francis II says “Maybe civil unions”

This thread is about alien intelligent life. Did you mean to submit your post somewhere else?

What Price Peace and Prosperity for All...........Alien Rule??

I don't know if they would look like us, but one thing that I am certain of is, if any extraterrestrial life has the intellegence to get here, they will not put up with our primitive behavior and odd superstions..They may however, offer to save us from our selves

Scenario: We are contacted by an alien life form-far more wise and advanced than we- and offered the chance to achieve universal peace and prosperity, if we agree to a few conditions. This is not in the form of a threat. If we decline, they will go on their way and we will be left as we are and they will not give us another chance for 10,000 years. At the same time, if we accept, we will be bound by their conditions for 10,000 years, enough time for us to evolve into a peaceful species. If asked to, they would leave sooner but there would be consequences- We will suddenly be left once again to our own devices and chaos will surly prevail.

The conditions:

1. Religious expression, prayer, and instruction will be allowed in private homes, and places of worship only. Public meetings will no longer be opened with a prayer for any faith and witnesses will no longer sware on a holy book in court. Govenment officials will be sworn in on the constitution and pledge to uphold it as the highest law of the land.

Proselytizing in public, lobying politicians or in anyway trying to influance the government to adopt an agenda based on religious doctrine is prohibited. Any proposed legislation, and all court decisions must clearly state a secular purpose and rational. Separation of church and state- from the United States to Saudi Arabia and other theocraces will be absolute.

Tax exemptions for religious institutions will be strictly limited to money spent on charitable causes. Preaching and teaching mythology is not charitable work.

Any individual, religious institution found to be in violation of these standards will be required to take a medication that the aliens developed that will eradicate all thought of religion and clens the mind of such primitime thought patterns. If an entire sec is found guilty of multiple violations their houses of worship will become centers for performing arts, or museums funded by the government. Some will be converted to housing.

2.All weapons of all kind must be destroyed. Militaries will be for use in natural disaster types of emergencies only.

3.Hording of wealth is strictly prohibited. Everyone need not be equal in this respect and there will still be private property, but disparity will be very limited

4.Capitalism will be allowed, but business will be strictly regulated to ensure that people are put before profit, and that the environment is protected.

5.All forms of discrimination against any group for any reason will be strictly prohibited.

6.Necessities of life-food, shelter, medicine and clothing-will be recognized as universal human rights and will not be rationed based on a person’s ability to pay.

7.Nations will retain their autonomy, culture and language but be must be organized into a federation of cooperative states who share all natural resources. National leaders will be selected by direct elections in all countries but the Supreme Council of Extra Planetary rulers will have the power to impeach and remove from office, anyone who violates or undermines any of these conditions. Strict term limits will be established and two members of the same family cannot hold high office within 20 years of one another.

8.All creatures of the earth and the earth herself will be treated with respect and care. The systematic destruction of the planet and it’s life forms in the name of profit, power or sport will end.

9.Capital punishment and most prison terms will be abolished worldwide. Minor offenses will be treated as behavioral health and educational issues with the emphasis on rehabilitation. Serious crimes such as violent offenses and white collar theft will be dealt with as described in # 10 below.

10.While these aliens will be inconspicuous in our daily lives-they may even live among us in human form- they will be vigilant, and take action when needed. Anyone not complying with these conditions-or who commits a serious crime- will be banished to a distant war like planet where many live under Spartan conditions and subject to a small wealthy ruling class( which they will not be part of) and the rule is survival of the fittest-in other words, much like earth is now, but much, much worse

Aliens brought technology onto earth. With that, they are slowly converting the hunter gatherer humans into hive minded slaves. What is the purpose of that? Only the aliens know that, but we can speculate.

I don't know if they would look like us, but one thing that I am certain of is, if any extraterrestrial life has the intellegence to get here, they will not put up with our primitive behavior and odd superstions..They may however, offer to save us from our selves

Scenario: We are contacted by an alien life form-far more wise and advanced than we- and offered the chance to achieve universal peace and prosperity, if we agree to a few conditions. This is not in the form of a threat. If we decline, they will go on their way and we will be left as we are and they will not give us another chance for 10,000 years. At the same time, if we accept, we will be bound by their conditions for 10,000 years, enough time for us to evolve into a peaceful species. If asked to, they would leave sooner but there would be consequences- We will suddenly be left once again to our own devices and chaos will surly prevail.

The conditions:

1. Religious expression, prayer, and instruction will be allowed in private homes, and places of worship only. Public meetings will no longer be opened with a prayer for any faith and witnesses will no longer sware on a holy book in court. Govenment officials will be sworn in on the constitution and pledge to uphold it as the highest law of the land.

Proselytizing in public, lobying politicians or in anyway trying to influance the government to adopt an agenda based on religious doctrine is prohibited. Any proposed legislation, and all court decisions must clearly state a secular purpose and rational. Separation of church and state- from the United States to Saudi Arabia and other theocraces will be absolute.

Tax exemptions for religious institutions will be strictly limited to money spent on charitable causes. Preaching and teaching mythology is not charitable work.

Any individual, religious institution found to be in violation of these standards will be required to take a medication that the aliens developed that will eradicate all thought of religion and clens the mind of such primitime thought patterns. If an entire sec is found guilty of multiple violations their houses of worship will become centers for performing arts, or museums funded by the government. Some will be converted to housing.

2.All weapons of all kind must be destroyed. Militaries will be for use in natural disaster types of emergencies only.

3.Hording of wealth is strictly prohibited. Everyone need not be equal in this respect and there will still be private property, but disparity will be very limited

4.Capitalism will be allowed, but business will be strictly regulated to ensure that people are put before profit, and that the environment is protected.

5.All forms of discrimination against any group for any reason will be strictly prohibited.

6.Necessities of life-food, shelter, medicine and clothing-will be recognized as universal human rights and will not be rationed based on a person’s ability to pay.

7.Nations will retain their autonomy, culture and language but be must be organized into a federation of cooperative states who share all natural resources. National leaders will be selected by direct elections in all countries but the Supreme Council of Extra Planetary rulers will have the power to impeach and remove from office, anyone who violates or undermines any of these conditions. Strict term limits will be established and two members of the same family cannot hold high office within 20 years of one another.

8.All creatures of the earth and the earth herself will be treated with respect and care. The systematic destruction of the planet and it’s life forms in the name of profit, power or sport will end.

9.Capital punishment and most prison terms will be abolished worldwide. Minor offenses will be treated as behavioral health and educational issues with the emphasis on rehabilitation. Serious crimes such as violent offenses and white collar theft will be dealt with as described in # 10 below.

10.While these aliens will be inconspicuous in our daily lives-they may even live among us in human form- they will be vigilant, and take action when needed. Anyone not complying with these conditions-or who commits a serious crime- will be banished to a distant war like planet where many live under Spartan conditions and subject to a small wealthy ruling class( which they will not be part of) and the rule is survival of the fittest-in other words, much like earth is now, but much, much worse

Why do you imagine that aliens are leftwingers?

The conditions:

I have you on ignore because you are an annoying troll, but that is a almost reasonable question. Any civilization that is technologically advances enough to visit us is also likely to be advanced socially, morally ,intellectually and philosophically unlike the knuckle draggers who identify as conservative here and now. A reactionary civilization that the likes of you promote is destined for failure and will not survive long enough to develop the ability to explore other worlds.

The conditions:

I have you on ignore because you are an annoying troll, but that is a almost reasonable question. Any civilization that is technologically advances enough to visit us is also likely to be advanced socially, morally ,intellectually and philosophically unlike the knuckle draggers who identify as conservative here and now. A reactionary civilization that the likes of you promote is destined for failure and will not survive long enough to develop the ability to explore other worlds.
It's funny that you call me a troll and then post the manure above.

There's nothing "advanced" about liberalism unless you believe totalitarianism is "advanced," because that is where liberalism is taking us. A leftwing society may be able to explore other worlds, but it's also able to kill millions of people and turn the rest into slaves. If being leftwing truly is required for space travel, then we should immediately attack any aliens who land here.

The real reason you have me on "ignore" is the fact that you are a coward who can't stand strong criticism.

The conditions:

There's nothing "advanced" about liberalism unless you believe totalitarianism is "advanced," because that is where liberalism is taking us. A leftwing society may be able to explore other worlds, but it's also able to kill millions of people and turn the rest into slaves. If being leftwing truly is required for space travel, then we should immediately attack any aliens who land here.

The real reason you have me on "ignore" is the fact that you are a coward who can't stand strong criticism.

THIS sort of tripe is exactly why I call you a troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The conditions:

THIS sort of tripe is exactly why I call you a troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In other words, anyone who is good at disputing your tripe is a troll.

You are a coward. End of story.

Replying to the OP if the aliens could look like us....

The ones captured in in Roswell in 1947, called greys did not look like humans, they had a humanoid type body however.

May be aliens from other galaxies look more like us.... who knows.

from Wikipedia:

Appearance
Greys are typically depicted as dark grey-skinned diminutive humanoid beings that possess reduced forms of, or completely lack, external human organs such as noses, ears or sex organs.[2] Their bodies are usually depicted as being elongated, having a small chest, and lacking in muscular definition and visible skeletal structure. Their legs are shorter and jointed differently from what one would expect in a human. Their limbs are often depicted as proportionally different from a human's; their humerus and thighs are the same lengths as their forearms and shins, respectively.[2]

Greys are depicted as having unusually large heads in proportion to their bodies. They are depicted as having no hair anywhere on the body, including the face, and no noticeable outer ears or noses, but only small openings or orifices for ears and nostrils. They are depicted as having very small mouths, and very large opaque black eyes with no discernible iris or pupil. Reports of alleged encounters state their height to be 2–4 ft tall, but may be human size or taller as other varieties of greys have been described in various claims.

The conditions:

The aliens are not only left wingers but also Jewish.

Replying to the OP if the aliens could look like us....

The ones captured in in Roswell in 1947, called greys did not look like humans, they had a humanoid type body however.

May be aliens from other galaxies look more like us.... who knows.

from Wikipedia:

Appearance
Greys are typically depicted as dark grey-skinned diminutive humanoid beings that possess reduced forms of, or completely lack, external human organs such as noses, ears or sex organs.[2] Their bodies are usually depicted as being elongated, having a small chest, and lacking in muscular definition and visible skeletal structure. Their legs are shorter and jointed differently from what one would expect in a human. Their limbs are often depicted as proportionally different from a human's; their humerus and thighs are the same lengths as their forearms and shins, respectively.[2]

Greys are depicted as having unusually large heads in proportion to their bodies. They are depicted as having no hair anywhere on the body, including the face, and no noticeable outer ears or noses, but only small openings or orifices for ears and nostrils. They are depicted as having very small mouths, and very large opaque black eyes with no discernible iris or pupil. Reports of alleged encounters state their height to be 2–4 ft tall, but may be human size or taller as other varieties of greys have been described in various claims.

There is the Nordic aliens. Apparently those ones do look like humans, albeit with thinner skin.

There is a theory that the two hands two legs composition proved so ideal for intelligent life all across the universe, that it became a hegemonic design.

With that said, the Bible hints, that the human female shape is the winner universally, even amongst humanoids that have nothing in common with Earth.

Definitely agree PredFan. Of course, the article doesn't pertain to aliens visiting earth, but if they did, they would probably be similar to us.

What exists on their planet could be anything.

But a higher life form that develops an advanced brain, and the ability to manipulate its environment, has to give up some of the other survival aspects it may have, due to the limited resources available to natural selection. So the smarter and more advanced a being gets, the more vulnerable it becomes physically.

Then, other factors come into play to protect that being in it's vulnerable state. Like having at least 2 eyes for 3 dimensional vision (more than 2 eyes is a waste of resources that are necessary to develop the brain). 2 ears for 3d hearing (more than 2 ears is a waste of resources for same reason). Appendages that can manipulate the environment and use tools (again, more than 2 is a waste of resources). And a means of locomotion (more than 2 legs is a waste of resources). Furthermore, the eyes, ears, and nose should be held higher than the body to help detect predators from a distance. And since those senses require super fast brain access, the brain should be located close to the eyes, ears, and nose.

Pretty soon, we start to get close to the description of a humanoid type body to describe an organism that is able to evolve a high intelligence and dexterity to manipulate its environment, using the slow and logical process of natural selection as opposed to creation.

Because "creation" could create anything with unlimited resources. But natural selection has to work with what it has, and only very gradually increase resources as it evolves.

Part of what you say is accurate. But that does not mean that aliens would look anything like us. Plus, it does not take their natural environment into account.

2 eyes is the most efficient, giving depth perception without wasting resources. But where are the eyes on the body? On retractable stalks? High on the body? Or lower on the body. If the atmosphere on their planet is dense and prone to fog, having eyes lower would be an advantage in that they could see where they are going.

2 ears is efficient as well. But placement is also a question. Having them be moveable is a big advantage.

As for appendages, this is where I think you are wrong. Depending on the environment in which they developed, more than 2 arms could be an advantage. Did they climb or move around in an arboreal setting? Having arms to swing from while still having arms to manipulate their environs would be advantageous.

And depending on their original environment, having more than 2 legs could be an advantage. Think open plains. 4 legs allows for greater speed and an ability to traverse a greater variety of terrain types.

'Two eyes are the most efficient'?

Consider spiders. They have multiple eyes but you can easily tell which ones hunt and which ones build webs to catch their prey. The hunters, like jumping spiders, have two huge eyes and other, secondary eyes. The web builders are pretty blind but can feel the tiniest noodge to their web.

So, it could depend on how they 'earn a living', as my father used to call it.

Another thought - Carl Sagan used to describe a possible problem with us finding or seeing alien life forms is very much like the ant colony next to the swimming pool.

All that splashing and screeching by kids on a Saturday afternoon would be hard to miss but would the ants be aware of it? Probably not. That's what we could be up against - such an enormous difference that we might miss them them completely and vice versa.

I agree about the original environment. Surely that would be the biggest variable. We've evolved our two legs and two arms, toes, fingers and so on because that's what our environment required.

I have to disagree with the OP. I cannot imagine how an alien life form would be anything at all like us. Unless, of course, we have a sister planet with the same atmosphere, same gravity, same beginning and same life time our planet has had. And, how likely is that?

Forum List

Back