Consumers To Hear Soon If Plans Are Canceled

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
you can keep your plan if you LIKE your plan under OscamCare. remember?

SNIP;
Topics: Insuring Your Health, Insurance
By Michelle Andrews
Sep 05, 2014
This KHN story can be republished for free. (details)
Consumers may soon find a surprise in their mailbox: a notice that their health plan is being canceled.
paperwork%20canceled%20300.jpg

Last year, many consumers who thought their health plans would be canceled because they didn’t meet the standards of the health law got a reprieve.

Following stinging criticism for appearing to renege on a promise that people who liked their existing plans could keep them, President Barack Obama backed off plans to require all individual and small group plans that had not been in place before the health law to meet new standards starting in 2014.

The administration initially announced a transitional policy that, with state approval, would allow insurers to renew plans that didn’t comply with coverage or cost standards starting in December 2013 and continue doing so until October 2014. Then in March, the administration said it would extend the transitional policy for two more years, meaning that some people will be able to hang onto their non-compliant plans through 2017.

Insurers aren’t required to renew non-compliant plans, however. States can also bar them, and some states did that initially, particularly those that were operating their own health insurance marketplaces. Many others, however, are following the federal lead.

"The majority of states are allowing transitional policies to continue for at least one more year," says Sabrina Corlette, project director at Georgetown University’s Center on Health Insurance Reforms, who co-authored a blog post for the Commonwealth Fund that examined state activity in this area.
all of it here:
Consumers To Hear Soon If Plans Are Canceled - Kaiser Health News

Old news.

Here is what's coming......

1) Double digit premium increases for the most popular plans
(Here between 9-19.6 %)

2) IF they do not change small group requirement due to take effect in 2015 employers will drop their plans dumping everyone into the Marketplace.
( The per employee fine is ONLY $2000 for the year, SUBSTANTIALLY less than the cost of the coverage)

3) The Dems are going to get shellacked if they do not change the law.

Old news.

(Here between 9-19.6 %)

2) IF they do not change small group requirement due to take effect in 2015 employers will drop their plans dumping everyone into the Marketplace.
( The per employee fine is ONLY $2000 for the year, SUBSTANTIALLY less than the cost of the coverage)

3) The Dems are going to get shellacked if they do not change the law.

And that is the good news.

Narrow networks and low reimbursement schedules have yet to bite.

Subsidy news is still spreading.

and there are all sorts of wildcards that could pop up such as any ruling on non-exchange state subsidies that doesn't toe the Obamaline.

Old news.

Interesting prediction, but generally wrong. The most popular plans have been in the silver tier, which is where the benchmark plans for determining affordability tax credits sit.

Not only are the benchmarks not seeing double digit increases, they're actually falling in many places. Or, at worst, experiencing only modest premium growth.

Key O-Care premiums to decrease, study finds
The average cost of a benchmark ObamaCare plan is set to decrease next year in 15 major cities, according to a new study.

The premium for the second-lowest-cost silver plan, which is used to determine tax credits, will go down by an average of about 1 percent, the Kaiser Family Foundation found.

In some cases that's true of every single rating area in a state (as in Washington state) or in almost every rating area in the state (as in Florida).

Many Floridians Will Find A Cheaper ACA Plan In 2015
Aug. 30--Hundreds of thousands of Floridians who bought Obamacare plans in 2014 can save money next year without sacrificing quality. The trick is: Consumers may have to switch plans to pay less.

Eighty-two percent of Floridians live in counties where the plan that serves as the key measuring stick for premium cost is going down in price in 2015, the state Office of Insurance Regulation confirmed last week.

In Palm Beach County, that benchmark plan will cost 17 percent less in 2015. Only one county, Union, saw a greater price drop, of nearly 19 percent, according to Obama administration officials.

I was going to say that Nebraska is an outlier but that's not even true. Looking at the preliminary ACA rates for 2015 released by the Nebraska Department of Insurance, it's pretty clear that Omaha, Nebraska (and the rating area in which it sits) is the outlier. The other two rating areas they provide information for are in line with what's happening to the silver tier around the country--less than 1% premium growth in the benchmark.

Benchmark premiums for a 30-year-old in Nebraska
Rating Area2014 Benchmark2015 BenchmarkΔ Benchmark
Omaha$240.68
Coventry
$280.74
BCBSNE
16.6%
Lincoln$265.15
BCBSNE
$266.15
Conventry
0.3%
Norfolk/
Hastings
$265.15
BCBSNE
$267.80
Coventry
0.9%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Competition (even in states like Nebraska with less competitive markets) is working and if people shop around they're going to be able to get silver plans that cost basically the same thing as last year or less. Good for the consumer and good for the taxpayer (since lower benchmark prices mean the law costs less).

And in fact looking beyond the silver tier, lots of states are seeing either outright decreases or only small single digit premium growth in the average across all product lines (not even close to the 100-200% premium growth some were predicting just six months or so ago).

For instance:

Good news for Oregonians! Health premiums to drop next year
After several years of rate hikes, health insurance premiums will drop for thousands of Oregonians next year, reflecting slower growth in underlying costs and increased competition, said Insurance Commissioner Laura Cali.

Health-care premiums fall in Arkansas
Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe’s office said Wednesday that most health-care customers will pay less for their plans next year, a relief to state residents — and to the Democratic senator trying to hold onto his seat in one of the country’s most expensive elections.

Health-care premiums will decline about 2 percent next year, Beebe (D) wrote in a statement Wednesday.

Exclusive: many New Mexicans will pay less for health insurance next year
Individual health insurance premiums in New Mexico will drop by an average of 1 to 2 percent in 2015 for those who buy on the state’s health insurance exchange, New Mexico Superintendent of Insurance John Franchini said Wednesday.

Health exchange premiums will drop
Aug. 27--TUPELO -- Many Northeast Mississippians shopping for insurance on healthcare.gov will see lower premiums for 2015.

Premiums for Magnolia Health, which offers the only plans available for Northeast Mississippi counties except for Alcorn and Tishomingo, are expected to go down by about 25 percent, according to a report in the Mississippi Business Journal.

After rate hike rejected, Anthem to decrease premiums next year
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield’s individual-market customers will, on average, see a slight decrease in their premiums next year under new rates approved by the Connecticut Insurance Department.

2015 health insurance premiums on Obamacare exchanges won’t increase much
HELENA – Prices for 2015 health insurance policies sold on Montana’s federal online “marketplace” will increase only 1.35 percent, on average, state Auditor Monica Lindeen said Wednesday.

90 health plans approved for 2015 Exchange
OLYMPIA, Wash. - The Office of the Insurance Commissioner has approved 10 health insurers to sell 90 individual health plans inside Washington’s Exchange, Washington Healthplanfinder next year. The overall approved average rate change is just 1.9 percent, significantly lower than the Exchange insurers’ original request of 8.6 percent.

Maine ACA Insurers Seek Far Lower Rate Hikes Than Expected
Forty-one percent. One-hundred percent. Four-hundred percent. These were some of the projections on how much insurance premiums would rise on the individual insurance marketplace under the Affordable Care Act.

But in Maine, Insurance Superintendent Eric Cioppa says the actual numbers for 2015 are much smaller: "The range of requested increases is from .1 percent to 3.1 percent," Cioppa said.

Colorado health insurance premiums to rise 3.4% next year
Colorado insurance premiums may rise by 3.4 percent, with an average insurance premium of $411 a month, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP's preliminary analysis of individual market rate filings.

Obamacare rate hikes in California to average 4% in 2015
Despite concerns that insurance rates would skyrocket by 20% to 30% in year two of the Affordable Care Act, officials supervising the nation’s biggest market for health coverage said Thursday California will see premiums climb by an average of just over 4% for 2015.

More Indiana options coming on insurance exchange | 2014-08-29 | Indianapolis Business Journal
Indiana residents will have more than triple the number of health insurance plans to choose from when the federal insurance exchange enrollment period starts in November, according to a state official. . .

Korty said a 5-percent average increase in exchange premiums is expected on Indiana policies.

Md. approves smaller rate hikes for CareFirst, lowers rates for 3 others
Maryland officials approved final insurance rates Friday for consumers buying individual health plans next year under the federal health-care law. Regulators cut proposed premiums by more than half for CareFirst, the region’s dominant insurance company, and approved lower rates for three other carriers.

OHIC Approves Commercial Health Insurance Rates for 2015
Today, Health Insurance Commissioner Kathleen C Hittner, MD announced her final decision to approve lower premium increases than requested by most insurers for individuals,and small and large employers that purchase their coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI), Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island (NHPRI), Tufts Health Plan (Tufts) and UnitedHealthcare (United).

Last edited:
Old news.

Interesting prediction, but generally wrong. The most popular plans have been in the silver tier, which is where the benchmark plans for determining affordability tax credits sit.

Not only are the benchmarks not seeing double digit increases, they're actually falling in many places. Or, at worst, experiencing only modest premium growth.

Key O-Care premiums to decrease, study finds
The average cost of a benchmark ObamaCare plan is set to decrease next year in 15 major cities, according to a new study.

The premium for the second-lowest-cost silver plan, which is used to determine tax credits, will go down by an average of about 1 percent, the Kaiser Family Foundation found.

In some cases that's true of every single rating area in a state (as in Washington state) or in almost every rating area in the state (as in Florida).

Many Floridians Will Find A Cheaper ACA Plan In 2015
Aug. 30--Hundreds of thousands of Floridians who bought Obamacare plans in 2014 can save money next year without sacrificing quality. The trick is: Consumers may have to switch plans to pay less.

Eighty-two percent of Floridians live in counties where the plan that serves as the key measuring stick for premium cost is going down in price in 2015, the state Office of Insurance Regulation confirmed last week.

In Palm Beach County, that benchmark plan will cost 17 percent less in 2015. Only one county, Union, saw a greater price drop, of nearly 19 percent, according to Obama administration officials.

I was going to say that Nebraska is an outlier but that's not even true. Looking at the preliminary ACA rates for 2015 released by the Nebraska Department of Insurance, it's pretty clear that Omaha, Nebraska (and the rating area in which it sits) is the outlier. The other two rating areas they provide information for are in line with what's happening to the silver tier around the country--less than 1% premium growth in the benchmark.

Benchmark premiums for a 30-year-old in Nebraska
Rating Area2014 Benchmark2015 BenchmarkΔ Benchmark
Omaha$240.68
Coventry
$280.74
BCBSNE
16.6%
Lincoln$265.15
BCBSNE
$266.15
Conventry
0.3%
Norfolk/
Hastings
$265.15
BCBSNE
$267.80
Coventry
0.9%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Competition (even in states like Nebraska with less competitive markets) is working and if people shop around they're going to be able to get silver plans that cost basically the same thing as last year or less. Good for the consumer and good for the taxpayer (since lower benchmark prices mean the law costs less).

I suggest you actually read your sources Pops.

Popular was the wrong word....the most sold plans, in truth there isn't much that is "popular" about any of it.

Bronze is what is far and away the most sold.

Why?

It's the most affordable.

The most "inhabited" plans will get the highest increases because they have the most folks in them, and they are the ones getting used the most.

As for Colorado?
(read your source)

Florida....

"Both analyses are correct. Whether an individual will pay more or less in 2015 is entirely a matter of which plan he or she chooses"

You need to stop being a shill for this thing,while it isn't going anywhere it isn't what you are saying about it.

Your spin is just that spin....any plan that is going down in premium is doing so because there are aren't many people in it.

Bronze is what is far and away the most sold.

Not quite.

Health Insurance Marketplace: Summary Enrollment Report for the Initial Annual Open Enrollment Period.

Marketplace Plan Selections by Metal Level – The proportion of Silver Marketplace plan selections has continued to increase. Silver plans account for nearly two-thirds (65 percent) of the Marketplace plan selections in the SBMs and FFM between 10-1-13 and 3-31-14, including additional SEP activity through 4-19-14 (compared with 63 percent during the first five months of the initial enrollment period).
  • SBMs: 58 percent Silver (10-1-13 to 3-31-14, including SEP activity through 4-19-14).
  • FFM: 69 percent Silver (10-1-13 to 3-31-14, including SEP activity through 4-19-14).

The metal level distribution of the remaining Marketplace plan selections (SBMs and FFM combined) are as follows: bronze (20 percent), gold (9 percent), platinum (5 percent), and catastrophic (2 percent).

(If you're wondering about Nebraska in particular, 62% chose silver plans.)

• SBMs: 58 percent Silver (10-1-13 to 3-31-14, including SEP activity through 4-19-14).
  • FFM: 69 percent Silver (10-1-13 to 3-31-14, including SEP activity through 4-19-14).
;)

Here it's EASILY Bronze,sorry pop.

Do you get paid well for this?

I just got a letter saying my Doctor is no longer in my network.
So I was given a Doctor in my area that is.

So what happened with Obama saying if I liked my doctor I could keep him.
And when it was brought up at the start of all this that we would lose our plan and doctor
the lefties here rose up as one and said bullshit....

Oh yeah my company's policy was dropped by the Insurance company and we had
to get another one that came with a $6,000 deductible....

So for me...

Lost my plan and got another one that sucks
Lost my doctor and now need to get another....

I just got a letter saying my Doctor is no longer in my network.
So I was given a Doctor in my area that is.

So what happened with Obama saying if I liked my doctor I could keep him.
And when it was brought up at the start of all this that we would lose our plan and doctor
the lefties here rose up as one and said bullshit....

Oh yeah my company's policy was dropped by the Insurance company and we had
to get another one that came with a $6,000 deductible....

So for me...

Lost my plan and got another one that sucks
Lost my doctor and now need to get another....

Your insurance company decides who is and isn't in your network. Obama doesn't.

Same with the policy being dropped.

Your bitch is with the insurance company. They did the same shit year after year BEFORE THE ACA was passed.

My bitch is with O'Care...
Insurance companies had to follow the guidelines of O'Care and had no choice but to comply.

Highest percentage increases I've seen published were 40% but that was in an area with a small customer base where health care costs run high anyway. There being no state program there, there also is no subsidy.

Every year between 1996 and 2003...my company was required to pay increases in health insurance premiums of more than 8%. Twice during that time, our provider changed affiliations with local hospitals. So...our employees had to get new docs in network....or pay extra to keep seeing their doc.

This is NOT new.

My premiums were just raised so I assume I will get to keep mine. Either that or they are just trying to squeeze out a few more nickels before they lower the boom.

Forum List

Back