Conservative Bible

Are the other 23,144 verses of the Bible relevant?

• Yes. We should consider the whole Bible and become liberals.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No. 2 Theasalonians 3:10 says it all. The other verses are stupid.

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Overstatement. A vast overstatement at that.

I'm a Conservative but I recognize that Jesus transcends politics--thank God for that. I do everyday. And if you think Social Justice Jesus is any better than RW Jesus, you're fooling yourself.
I was raised in a church-going family. I will not go into the negative effects this had on my life but I will say this: RW Christianity affords adherents a very arbitrary moral structure that ill-prepares children for adult life.

This could mean so many things. "Church going" could mean so many things, so could "arbitrary moral structure". How particularly did your church going upbringing ill-prepare you for adult life?
Not going to go into details but let's just say I had to learn about real life on my own and the hard way. I was in no way prepared to deal with the world outside my closed-in community. I must also venture to say that church kids were probably the most molested kids in America. I had so many perverts around me I almost thought it was normal. It's been a few years (50) since I was a kid, maybe that has changed somewhat, but the way all those pious assholes covered each others kiddy-diddling should doom them to hell.

Sounds like a cult, not so much a church. Especially the "closed-in" part. I'm really genuinely sorry you had that kind of experience. That does not represent "Conservative" or "evangelical" Christianity, but a mad cult.
It had cultish aspects but I do not think it was that different. They certainly sound the same.

A cult shuns outsiders. I guess that is the difference. The term cult is derogatory and the term church is celebrated. There isn't much difference. The best I can figure is that interaction between non members and members is ok in a church but not ok in a cult. Surely there is a difference. You can just attack churches you don't like and then label it a cult and expect to be taken seriously.

the bible is fairytale crap--worthless
Here's my stock answer to the fairytale narrative.

The first five books of the Bible (known as the Torah) were written by Moses - an adopted son of the king of Egypt - in approximately 1400 B.C.. These five books focus on the beginning of the nation of Israel; but the first 11 chapters of the Torah records the history that all nations have in common. These allegorical accounts of the history of the world had been passed down from generation to generation orally for thousands of years. Moses did not write the first 11 chapters of the Bible. Moses was the first Hebrew to record them.

Approximately 1500 years before Moses recorded the allegorical accounts of the history of the world. The Chinese recorded this history as symbols in the Chinese language. They drew pictures to express words or ideas. Simple pictures were combined to make more complex thoughts. They used well known history and common everyday things to make a word so people could easily remember it. The account of Genesis found it's way into the Chinese written language because the Chinese had migrated from the cradle of civilization. Prior to this migration they all shared a common history and religion.

The Bible even explains how it was possible for the Chinese to record the account of Genesis 1500 years before Moses recorded it. The account of the Tower of Babel was the allegorical account of the great migration from Mesopotamia. This also explains why all ancient cultures have an account of a great flood. Because they all shared a common history and religion before the great migration from the cradle of civilization.

So if you start from the belief that the first eleven chapters of the Torah are an allegorical account of world history before the great migration from Mesopotamia - which was an actual historical event - then the first eleven chapters of the Torah takes on new meaning. Seen in this light these accounts should be viewed less like fairy tales and more like how important information was passed down in ancient times. Just as the Chinese used well known history and everyday things as symbols in their written language to make words easier to remember, ancient man used stories to pass down historical events and important knowledge to future generations. Interspersed in these allegorical accounts of history are wisdoms that they deemed important enough to pass down and remember. Such as man knows right from wrong and when he violates it, rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong he rationalizes he didn't do wrong. Most people don't even realize this wisdom is in the Torah because they read it critically instead of searching for the wisdom that ancient man knew and found important enough to include in his account of world history.

You have to keep in mind that these accounts are 6,000 years old and were passed down orally from one generation to the next for thousands of years. Surely ancient man believed these accounts were of the utmost importance otherwise they would not have been passed down for thousands of years before they were recorded in writing. You shouldn't view these accounts using the context of the modern world. Unfortunately, you are so far removed from these events that they have lost all original meaning to you. If you were to ask almost any Jew what the Tower of Babel was about he would have no clue that it was the allegorical account of the great migration from the cradle of civilization. That is not intended to be a criticism. It is intended to be an illustration of just how difficult a task it is to discover the original meaning from ancient accounts from 6,000 years ago. You read these texts like they were written yesterday looking for ways to discredit them and make yourself feel superior rather than seeking the original meaning and wisdom.

If you perceive God to be some magical fairy tale then everything you see will skew to that result. There won't be one single thing that you will agree with or accept. Whereas if you were trying to objectively analyze the evidence for spirit creating the material world then you would listen to the whole argument and not look for trivial things to nitpick.
we can't even believe crap in the MSM 12 January 2018
there is still controversy of the JFK shooting 1963

all that you just wrote is what YOU believe --your opinion only
Nope. Historical fact.
so it's a history book----??? so what?? what makes it so '''special''?
I just explained it to you.

the bible is fairytale crap--worthless

The first five books of the Bible (known as the Torah) were written by Moses - an adopted son of the king of Egypt - in approximately 1400 B.C.. These five books focus on the beginning of the nation of Israel; but the first 11 chapters of the Torah records the history that all nations have in common. These allegorical accounts of the history of the world had been passed down from generation to generation orally for thousands of years. Moses did not write the first 11 chapters of the Bible. Moses was the first Hebrew to record them.

Approximately 1500 years before Moses recorded the allegorical accounts of the history of the world. The Chinese recorded this history as symbols in the Chinese language. They drew pictures to express words or ideas. Simple pictures were combined to make more complex thoughts. They used well known history and common everyday things to make a word so people could easily remember it. The account of Genesis found it's way into the Chinese written language because the Chinese had migrated from the cradle of civilization. Prior to this migration they all shared a common history and religion.

The Bible even explains how it was possible for the Chinese to record the account of Genesis 1500 years before Moses recorded it. The account of the Tower of Babel was the allegorical account of the great migration from Mesopotamia. This also explains why all ancient cultures have an account of a great flood. Because they all shared a common history and religion before the great migration from the cradle of civilization.

So if you start from the belief that the first eleven chapters of the Torah are an allegorical account of world history before the great migration from Mesopotamia - which was an actual historical event - then the first eleven chapters of the Torah takes on new meaning. Seen in this light these accounts should be viewed less like fairy tales and more like how important information was passed down in ancient times. Just as the Chinese used well known history and everyday things as symbols in their written language to make words easier to remember, ancient man used stories to pass down historical events and important knowledge to future generations. Interspersed in these allegorical accounts of history are wisdoms that they deemed important enough to pass down and remember. Such as man knows right from wrong and when he violates it, rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong he rationalizes he didn't do wrong. Most people don't even realize this wisdom is in the Torah because they read it critically instead of searching for the wisdom that ancient man knew and found important enough to include in his account of world history.

You have to keep in mind that these accounts are 6,000 years old and were passed down orally from one generation to the next for thousands of years. Surely ancient man believed these accounts were of the utmost importance otherwise they would not have been passed down for thousands of years before they were recorded in writing. You shouldn't view these accounts using the context of the modern world. Unfortunately, you are so far removed from these events that they have lost all original meaning to you. If you were to ask almost any Jew what the Tower of Babel was about he would have no clue that it was the allegorical account of the great migration from the cradle of civilization. That is not intended to be a criticism. It is intended to be an illustration of just how difficult a task it is to discover the original meaning from ancient accounts from 6,000 years ago. You read these texts like they were written yesterday looking for ways to discredit them and make yourself feel superior rather than seeking the original meaning and wisdom.

If you perceive God to be some magical fairy tale then everything you see will skew to that result. There won't be one single thing that you will agree with or accept. Whereas if you were trying to objectively analyze the evidence for spirit creating the material world then you would listen to the whole argument and not look for trivial things to nitpick.

Nope. Historical fact.
then it is really nothing but another book

Nope. Historical fact.
The facts say otherwise.

Nope. Historical fact.
The facts say otherwise.
o, you really explained it alright
hahahahahah

Nope. Historical fact.
The facts say otherwise.
hahahahahah
The 10 Most Read Books In The World [Infographic]

It’s not even close.

I was raised in a church-going family. I will not go into the negative effects this had on my life but I will say this: RW Christianity affords adherents a very arbitrary moral structure that ill-prepares children for adult life.

This could mean so many things. "Church going" could mean so many things, so could "arbitrary moral structure". How particularly did your church going upbringing ill-prepare you for adult life?
Not going to go into details but let's just say I had to learn about real life on my own and the hard way. I was in no way prepared to deal with the world outside my closed-in community. I must also venture to say that church kids were probably the most molested kids in America. I had so many perverts around me I almost thought it was normal. It's been a few years (50) since I was a kid, maybe that has changed somewhat, but the way all those pious assholes covered each others kiddy-diddling should doom them to hell.

Sounds like a cult, not so much a church. Especially the "closed-in" part. I'm really genuinely sorry you had that kind of experience. That does not represent "Conservative" or "evangelical" Christianity, but a mad cult.
It had cultish aspects but I do not think it was that different. They certainly sound the same.

A cult shuns outsiders. I guess that is the difference. The term cult is derogatory and the term church is celebrated. There isn't much difference. The best I can figure is that interaction between non members and members is ok in a church but not ok in a cult. Surely there is a difference. You can just attack churches you don't like and then label it a cult and expect to be taken seriously.
People don't really see what their situation is until they step outside and get some distance. Why do you think that the young have abandoned church in such numbers?

Nope. Historical fact.
The facts say otherwise.
hahahahahah
Let me put it this way, you're here arguing against it. You wouldn’t be arguing against it if you didn’t believe the vast majority of people were arguing for it.

In other words, you don’t see a need to argue against the FSM, right?

The facts say otherwise.
hahahahahah

It’s not even close.
humans reading a book --wow---
and this proves what??

also, most of the world population does not believe /read the bible
FT_17.04.05_projectionsUpdate_globalPop640px.png

World’s largest religion by population is still Christianity

People don't really see what their situation is until they step outside and get some distance. Why do you think that the young have abandoned church in such numbers?

That might be normal in human history. You just don't have the time in your 20s 30s and 40s. In the later part of life you have more time and more need for relationships.

It might not be a cultural shift. I guess we will see in 30 years or so.

The facts say otherwise.
hahahahahah

It’s not even close.
I just tore the crap out of your ''book reading'' '''fact [ hahahahah ]

The facts say otherwise.
hahahahahah

It’s not even close.
and this proves what??

It proves it is influential.

Do you have any idea what the founding fathers of freedom and libery believed about the importance of religion?

They believed that virtue and religion were pillars of freedom and liberty and without them freedom and liberty could not stand. They believed that anyone who was against religion was not a patriot.

Do you know what the founding fathers of communism believed about religion?

They believed that communism was naturalized atheism and that the propaganda of atheism was necessary for communism.

The facts say otherwise.
hahahahahah

It’s not even close.
I don’t believe you did. But if it makes you happy to see it that way, I couldn’t be happier for you.

The facts say otherwise.
hahahahahah

Do you know the FSM?
please explain it to me--I'm so ignorant

It stands for Flying Spaghetti Monster. It is a modern God created by Bobby Henderson in 2005.

The facts say otherwise.
hahahahahah

It’s not even close.
and this proves what??

It proves it is influential.

Do you have any idea what the founding fathers of freedom and libery believed about the importance of religion?

They believed that virtue and religion were pillars of freedom and liberty and without them freedom and liberty could not stand. They believed that anyone who was against religion was not a patriot.

Do you know what the founding fathers of communism believed about religion?

They believed that communism was naturalized atheism and that the propaganda of atheism was necessary for communism.
hitler/Pol Pot/etc were influential
the founding fathers were just humans/men like you and me--nothing more - less

The facts say otherwise.
hahahahahah

It’s not even close.
I don’t believe you did. But if it makes you happy to see it that way, I couldn’t be happier for you.
MOST people do NOT believe in the bible
HOME RUN!

Forum List

Back